Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
jehartley

Drives: Red LT1 & Silver LS3
Dexos? Mobil 1 is now in!

Well, so far only Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Duarability had gotten dexos approved...Castrol and Valvoline have said no, they will not apply for the cert. However, Mobil 1 has come out today with a joint statment with GM claiming Dexos cert, a new contract deal with GM for factory fill, and that they will distribute GM's own dexos offering called ACDelco dexos1 5W30.

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20100910005930/en
jehartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
whats this cert actually mean, whats the benefits for the car?
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
whats this cert actually mean, whats the benefits for the car?
dexos is a new standard GM has developed for lubrication formulas. The gas-engine standard is actually "dexos I", and diesel-specific "dexos II". If an oil does not pass their testing (which many are considering incredibly stringent -- only "true" synthetics are expected to be able to pass) -- it will not be able to post that GM certification number we all look for on the back of the bottle in the auto parts store.

Overall, it doesn't mean much other than Mobil 1 has passed the new, harder lubricant standards...and they will continue to be supplied as OEM lubricant.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
dexos is a new standard GM has developed for lubrication formulas. The gas-engine standard is actually "dexos I", and diesel-specific "dexos II". If an oil does not pass their testing (which many are considering incredibly stringent -- only "true" synthetics are expected to be able to pass) -- it will not be able to post that GM certification number we all look for on the back of the bottle in the auto parts store.
There are several other benefits such as improved gas mileage etc. Info is on GM's site.

Quote:
Overall, it doesn't mean much other than Mobil 1 has passed the new, harder lubricant standards...and they will continue to be supplied as OEM lubricant.
Pretty much.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The following is taken from a GM bulletin about Dexos certification (PI0175):

Quote:
GM has introduced the dexos 1™ engine oil specification because it offers several advantages over engine oils of previous specifications. These advantages include all of the following:
- A greater level of engine cleanliness.
- Additional wear protection.
- Improved aeration control.
- Improved corrosion protection.
- Increased fuel economy.
- Increased sludge control.
- dexos 1™ is backwards compatible to older vehicles and is a suitable oil for pre-2011 GM vehicles (excluding all vehicles equipped with Duramax™ diesel engines).
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
I thought after all the discussion it was determined that Mobil 1 was not a 'true' synthetic....I quit........this is getting more confusing than Calculus......
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
I thought after all the discussion it was determined that Mobil 1 was not a 'true' synthetic
It isn't anymore. It is a group III hydrocracked oil. Mobil admitted to that a few weeks ago. Legally, Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil like other group III oils such as Valvoline Synpower, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec and Edge, etc.

However, the only Group IV or V oils (true synthetic) are Royal Purple, Redline, Motul, and Amsoil.

Being that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State (all group III oils) are able to receive the dexos cert just goes to show how far group III oils have come. They already perform as well if not better than some group IV oils, and now they are good enough to meet the new supposedly more stringent dexos cert.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehartley View Post
It isn't anymore. It is a group III hydrocracked oil. Mobil admitted to that a few weeks ago. Legally, Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil like other group III oils such as Valvoline Synpower, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec and Edge, etc.

However, the only Group IV or V oils (true synthetic) are Royal Purple, Redline, Motul, and Amsoil.

Being that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State (all group III oils) are able to receive the dexos cert just goes to show how far group III oils have come. They already perform as well if not better than some group IV oils, and now they are good enough to meet the new supposedly more stringent dexos cert.
People may tout the virtues of "true synthetics" like Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. I'm not saying they're not good oils. They are.

But according to independent testing labs, Mobil 1 ranks second only to Amsoil in performance and quality...

...AND Mobil Synthetic has been used in the jet engines of our military aircraft and the engines in our battletanks for years.

Good enough for them. Good enough for me.

I'm sticking with Mobil 1.

I don't care how bad of a Camaro you think you have, it still isn't going to come close to the punishment that our military's equipment can dish out.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
I use mobil 1 in all my family's cars.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Mines not very bad and I am sticking with Mobil 1 as well...
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
People may tout the virtues of "true synthetics" like Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. I'm not saying they're not good oils. They are.
Yes, they are.

Quote:
But according to independent testing labs, Mobil 1 ranks second only to Amsoil in performance and quality...
Uh, you might want to check your dates and sources on that. Hell, Castrol Edge and Valvoline Synpower have posted better test results than Mobil in just the last few years as well as many other synthetics. hell, go look at some of the UOA's at Bobistheoilguy. Regular Havoline dino oil has shown better real world performance than Mobil 1!

Use it because of brand loyalty, price, or because you like the color of the bottle. It really doesn't matter...any synthetic will protect your engine well.

Quote:
...AND Mobil Synthetic has been used in the jet engines of our military aircraft and the engines in our battletanks for years.
I guess you haven't read Mobil 1 oil screwing up jet engines a few years back. Read up on it.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
cm5

Drives: camaro
Mobile 1 is nothing more than the "wal-mart" of oil. Their popularity exists through exclusive distribution contracts, ie: GM and coincidentaly enough, wal-mart.

When researching oils, check the TBN of the actual lab tests, NOT a news/journalist article.
(TBN = Total Base Number) The higher the number, the longer it takes to break down.

Mobile1's campaign is motivated by Amsoil(much superior) taking up market share.
cm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5 View Post
(TBN = Total Base Number) The higher the number, the longer it takes to break down.
This isn't true. Yes, a high TBN is nice and even sought after, but UOA's of oils with relatively low TBN's (like an 8.5) have posted consistently great numbers.

Look, it isn't about how high the TBN is, it is about TBN retention. If an oil starts out with a TBN of 13, but after 10,000 miles the TBN is a 2.1 or less, then the oil doesn't hold up very well.

I'd much rather have an oil in my engine that has a starting TBN of 8.5 and after 10,000 miles is still holding steady at a TBN of 4.1, than to have an oil that starts out with a TBN of 13, but after 10,000 miles the TBN is down to a 2.1.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5 View Post
Mobile 1 is nothing more than the "wal-mart" of oil. Their popularity exists through exclusive distribution contracts, ie: GM and coincidentaly enough, wal-mart.
You can bag on Mobil's advertising (they deserve it to some extent) but Mobil 1 is a good oil.