Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #141
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Keep us updated man on how the brake fluid works. Looks pretty clear, such a weird looking picture haha
I agree the completely clear panel is weird. Now the back side does still have a texture but it goes unnoticed when pressed against. (IE the bedspread in the photo) You can see it's a bit blurry to the left of the picture where the blanket is lower than its counterpart on the right. I believe it will turn out fine once painted because the clarity improves once pressed against. Adding the definition seen in stock panels.

Method I used to strip:

• Soaked folded up blue shop towels in generic dot 3 brake fluid
  • Spread soaked towels along painted surfaces
  • Allow the brake fluid to start to settle you'll begin to see spots of paint disappear
  • Once the spots begin grab super fine steel wheel (0000) and begin to rub off the painted surface
  • Alternate between wiping off paint the brake fluid is eating up with blue shop towels and steel wool sanding
  • Repeat
Door panel took roughly 2.5 hours to strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Might be cool to just leave em clear and have the abl make the whole panel glow
Light wouldn't diffuse properly with completely clear panels plus you'd see the inside of the door. I sort of tried something similar to this with the old cloth panels as they are translucent white once stripped.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.

Last edited by Pagliaro; 02-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #142
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-10 View Post
Door panels came out great and the light finally shines thru
Attachment 560476
Now that looks just plain awesome. Lol
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #143
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
I agree the completely clear panel is weird. Now the back side does still have a texture but it goes unnoticed when pressed against. (IE the bedspread in the photo) You can see it's a bit blurry to the left of the picture where the blanket is lower than its counterpart on the right. I believe it will turn out fine once painted because the clarity improves once pressed against. Adding the definition seen in stock panels.

Method I used to strip:

• Soaked folded up blue shop towels in generic dot 3 brake fluid
  • Spread soaked towels along painted surfaces
  • Allow the brake fluid to start to settle you'll begin to see spots of paint disappear
  • Once the spots begin grab super fine steel wheel (0000) and begin to rub off the painted surface
  • Alternate between wiping off paint the brake fluid is eating up with blue shop towels and steel wool sanding
  • Repeat
Door panel took roughly 2.5 hours to strip.

Light wouldn't diffuse properly with completely clear panels plus you'd see the inside of the door. I sort of tried something similar to this with the old cloth panels as they are translucent white once stripped.
Thats cool! Thanks for the tips. post more once you have painted.

What do you have to use to get all the brake fluid off? I know you cant have any traces of that stuff for the new paint to stick.

Last edited by vroomapunk; 02-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #144
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
It won't go to paint for awhile as I still need to obtain the dash pieces. (I want them painted all at the same time) I am currently working on stripping the passenger side.

To clean the brake fluid I am letting it dry naturally and polishing it with Mothers Protectant and lastly will use Isopropyl alcohol to break down any remaining fluid.
Attached Images

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.

Last edited by Pagliaro; 02-08-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #145
64stingray

Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
I have the shop manuals and there are 2 ways of removing the instrument trim plate, one with GRE and one without GRE. I can't find out what GRE is, anybody know
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #146
64stingray

Drives: 64vette,2010 2SS,2013 Zl1
I forgot to ask last time, anybody know if there is a KRYLON paint color that match GM victory red
64stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #147
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stingray View Post
I forgot to ask last time, anybody know if there is a KRYLON paint color that match GM victory red
Any normal red will get you there for a few reasons, victory red is about as normal red as you can get, the interior panels arent anywhere near the actual outside of the car so the colors can never be compared side by side (a slight difference wont be noticed), putting the color inside, behind the door panel material will change the way it looks anyway.

So, unless you have synergy green, a metallic red, or a blue, I would get whatever looks closest.

Red, white, black, light silver, dark silver are easy. Dont spend 100$ on actual OEM paint if you dont have to.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #148
glider65

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Has anyone used the Hydrographics or also called Hydro dipped method / style... I'm thinking of doing my interior trim in Reaper Skulls... any help would be greatly appreciated
glider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #149
Willbergen89

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I used 3m vinyl instead of paint so that I could go back to factory easy if I wanted too
Attached Images

Willbergen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #150
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How did you get the white ABL light? Or how do you change the color of the ABL?? Is it simple with the door off?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #151
TwentyTen2SSRS

Damn Krud Kutter Graffiti remover is $30?!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #152
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
Damn Krud Kutter Graffiti remover is $30?!
Try Wal-Mart.. I found it there and it wasn't that expensive.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #153
ETSPEEDY

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What kind tape is everyone using for the abl? I was thinking 1/8" fine line, but was having a hard time finding some.
ETSPEEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #154
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSPEEDY View Post
What kind tape is everyone using for the abl? I was thinking 1/8" fine line, but was having a hard time finding some.

Would like to know as well.

So if I understand, you can make able go over entire panel by just taping off top of WHOLE door panel after you fully strip and before you resprayed?

Got dash trim pieces stripped clean.

Used brake fluid and took awhile but it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2