Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #85
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
Why was I quoted in this response? Even if all your math and theories are correct who cares? You seem like you got a lot of time on your hands to go back and search all those threads do me a favor send me your PayPal account I'll send you 5 bucks so that you can buy yourself a life.
For one, the OP, as this was a question he asked 3 times.

Why do you have to resort to personal attacks? There's really no need for that. And I see you don't realize that your average posts per day is over 18 times that of mine... ironic. But if you insist:

My PayPal account email is txsoldier67@yahoo.com Thank you!
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #86
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Nothing personal.
Let's stick with the op's goals and questions. The RWHP issue has been resolved I hope lol we go by RWHP round here. Lol

Look I'm not saying the TB is a waste. For the money the throttle response has been improved a lot and I'm happy with that.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #87
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwoodisme View Post
1. Thank you.
2. A (one) scoop or TB?
3. Yes
4. Both scoops?
5. Why not?
6. Tell you what?
What scoop and do you have a TB?

I have been at the shop to install and dyno mine, and 3 others on different times of the year and temps but on the same day within minutes and we've gotten nothing. But like I said the response is worth it.

Can we get back on topic?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #88
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
What scoop and do you have a TB?

I have been at the shop to install and dyno mine, and 3 others on different times of the year and temps but on the same day within minutes and we've gotten nothing. But like I said the response is worth it.

Can we get back on topic?
ADM from Maryland Speed.
Yes, VMAX from JDP.

I can post a Dyno sheet specifically from the TB gains...
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #89
nightrider28

Drives: 2011 2SS
87 comments later... I know no more than I do at beginnig.. perhaps I am even more confused with everyone disputing....

So I dyno at 400rwhp...I have Kook 1 7/8" headers, K&N intake, Borla S-Type catback, high flow cats, and a heat extractor hood..

What should I do next?
a) cam
b) throttle body
c) replace my intake with a better one (CAI, etc)
d)other ideas?
nightrider28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #90
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider28 View Post
87 comments later... I know no more than I do at beginnig.. perhaps I am even more confused with everyone disputing....

So I dyno at 400rwhp...I have Kook 1 7/8" headers, K&N intake, Borla S-Type catback, high flow cats, and a heat extractor hood..

What should I do next?
a) cam
b) throttle body
d)other ideas?
A) Yes a cam
b) sure for the throttle response
C) if you can swing it sure, sell the k&n and recoup some of your Money.
D) a better tuner lol
Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #91
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider28 View Post

What should I do next?
a) cam
b) throttle body
d)other ideas?
It sounds like you just want to able to say that your car makes 500hp. If so, that's quite easy to do. The problem is, that only works on the public that has ZERO knowledge of cars. If you say that to any car guy, they'll ask you what's done to it, then walk away laughing. YOU have to decide which route you're going to go. If you want to add a better CAI, and TB then say you have 500hp, then go for it. It would be just as easy to use a bigger multiplier and call it good.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #92
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I think we are just starting to get the bs filters to work on bolt ons. It usually takes a few years.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #93
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
INTAKES ON THE DYNO

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...CAI+COMPARISON
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #94
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
OK, seriously?
I don't think you understand how this whole thing works.
Most mods out there will not give you horsepower.
They may free up horsepower that is robbed by the powertrain, due to entropy inherent to any mechanical system.
The LS3 itself, under ideal, laboratory conditions (which is probably with NO headers, and NO intake) is rated at 426 at the crank.
Without specifically adding power to the formula, the best you could ever hope to get, in a perfect universe without friction and entropy would be 426 RWHP. Most of these mods will not really increase your crank HP, they will simply reduce the parasitic loss, and bring your RWHP number closer to your crank HP number.

It is true that some systems and mods will be better than the factory specs but not that much, to drastically increase the HP you need to drastically increase the input of air and or fuel, as well as drastically increasing the ability to vent exhaust.

I have a CAI with Apex scoop, Strong MAF, VMax ported TB, 1 7/8" LT headers, SLP underdrive pulley, DMH cutouts, Hi Flow cats, 3"Magnaflow exhaust, and am pushing 402 RWHP, 409 with the cutouts open. (Granted this was at Infinite Speed & Performance in MD, on a dyno that typically shows 3-5% less that actual output.) But I am only maybe at 425-440 crank HP.
That's odd--what type of dyno were you on? My LS3 with CAI intake, long-tubes and high flow cats + tune made 423 HP at the wheels on a Mustang dyno. I will have to see if I can find the dyno sheet in my email archives, but seems a bit low.

To the OP, as others have said... an underdrive pulley is probably a good way to go. That will probably be my next step. Have thought about the electric water-pump. Thought about intake manifold, but my understanding is that without head/cam work it really doesn't add much $/hp.

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #95
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
OK, seriously?
I don't think you understand how this whole thing works.
Most mods out there will not give you horsepower.
They may free up horsepower that is robbed by the powertrain, due to entropy inherent to any mechanical system.
The LS3 itself, under ideal, laboratory conditions (which is probably with NO headers, and NO intake) is rated at 426 at the crank.
Without specifically adding power to the formula, the best you could ever hope to get, in a perfect universe without friction and entropy would be 426 RWHP. Most of these mods will not really increase your crank HP, they will simply reduce the parasitic loss, and bring your RWHP number closer to your crank HP number.

It is true that some systems and mods will be better than the factory specs but not that much, to drastically increase the HP you need to drastically increase the input of air and or fuel, as well as drastically increasing the ability to vent exhaust.

I have a CAI with Apex scoop, Strong MAF, VMax ported TB, 1 7/8" LT headers, SLP underdrive pulley, DMH cutouts, Hi Flow cats, 3"Magnaflow exhaust, and am pushing 402 RWHP, 409 with the cutouts open. (Granted this was at Infinite Speed & Performance in MD, on a dyno that typically shows 3-5% less that actual output.) But I am only maybe at 425-440 crank HP.
I don't think that makes any sense at all. A stock Ls3 is rated at 426 WITH all the parasitic components like drive train and pumps added on. That is why this company made 488 on one in a lab without a lot of that crap with a huge intake manifold.

"Testing are new Ls manifold in to the wee hours of the night you guys are the first to see it. We will be unveiling it at Sema so far 488 hp on a bone stock 2012 Camaro engine with all 4 cats factory air box stock exhaust and mufflers" http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326179

A LS3 would make more like ~460-470 in perfect laboratory conditions, much higher than 426.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote