Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
how much speaker wire

having door speakers installed and want to purchase the materials before hand. having wires running from the amp which is installed right behind the rear seat to the doors, how much wire for two doors, any particular awg rating?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
I personally wouldn't go smaller than 16ga. You could probably get by with 30 feet or so, but I'd go with 50 to be 100% sure. If it's just for one speaker in each door, 30 feet would probably do.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I've always been told the OEM wire is enough unless you get into some extreme wattage. What gauge wire is stock, I don't even know.

Look at this.http://www.audioholics.com/education...er-cable-gauge
Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
I pretty much tell my customers at work the same thing that darkrider suggested yo you as far as gauge and length goes.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I've always been told the OEM wire is enough unless you get into some extreme wattage. What gauge wire is stock, I don't even know.

Look at this.http://www.audioholics.com/education...er-cable-gauge
The stock wire is about 20awg.

I see you have a 1LT, which means that the suggestion of just using the stock wiring isn't an option. But you have two options:
1) Run wire from your amp into each door. This will be a massive pain. You will have to drill your door and door jamb, or drill your wiring harness to make room for the new/larger wiring.
2) Run the wire from the amp to behind your dash, use an aftermarket harness and splice the speaker wires from the amp into the front door speaker wires on the harness. I suggest buying a PAC AA-GM44 and use the wiring harness included. The downside to this option is you are running through some of the stock wiring.
Regardless of the route you choose, the best option for wiring the rear speakers is to go directly from the amp. To wire the doors as in option one, I would recommend 25' per side, 50' total. For option 2, I would recommend 20 feet per side, 40 feet total. For the trunk speakers, I would say 25 feet total.

The harness I used:

To do option one, here is a video of using the stock harness. If you do not use the harness option and decide to drill the door, the doors have to be removed and then re-installed and aligned by a body shop.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
The stock wire is about 20awg.

I see you have a 1LT, which means that the suggestion of just using the stock wiring isn't an option. But you have two options:
1) Run wire from your amp into each door. This will be a massive pain. You will have to drill your door and door jamb, or drill your wiring harness to make room for the new/larger wiring.
2) Run the wire from the amp to behind your dash, use an aftermarket harness and splice the speaker wires from the amp into the front door speaker wires on the harness. I suggest buying a PAC AA-GM44 and use the wiring harness included. The downside to this option is you are running through some of the stock wiring.
Regardless of the route you choose, the best option for wiring the rear speakers is to go directly from the amp. To wire the doors as in option one, I would recommend 25' per side, 50' total. For option 2, I would recommend 20 feet per side, 40 feet total. For the trunk speakers, I would say 25 feet total.

The harness I used:

To do option one, here is a video of using the stock harness. If you do not use the harness option and decide to drill the door, the doors have to be removed and then re-installed and aligned by a body shop.
got with the installer and we are doing option 2, thanks for the info. he was out of a couple items so will have to wait til later next week to get it installed but he discribed your option #2 almost exactly.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

I am using the factory wiring to the doors to Focals with 150 watts per channel. Guess i'll have to check the resistance of the speakers vs. the speakers and wire to see if the wiring is choking the signal. I'm thinking the factory wire is at least 16 ga though.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I am using the factory wiring to the doors to Focals with 150 watts per channel. Guess i'll have to check the resistance of the speakers vs. the speakers and wire to see if the wiring is choking the signal. I'm thinking the factory wire is at least 16 ga though.
It's not 16 gauge. It's 20.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
It's not 16 gauge. It's 20.
I'll definately have to measure the resistance next weekend when I install my new MS-8. Time to optimize the system.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
If you're going to run new wire to your doors remember you're going to have to drill a hole as a wire doesnt like to go through a molex plug! :-P