Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have been building engines for over 33 years, and you have to take in to consideration Statistics.

How many GM LS Pumps are on the road and How Many Melling Oil Pumps are on the road on LS engnines.

Of coarse if there are 100,000,000 GM LS pumps on the road there will be a percentage of failures even if it is 1/10 of 1 percent.

You have to also Ask, What Makes a Melling Pump any better than a GM pump?

Because someone said so on the internet, if it's on the internet it has to be true

I think a lot of the Oil pump failures can be traced back to Installation Errors.

Someone changes a chain, this requires unbolting the oil pump and re installing it, Seems easy enough bolts right back in Place RIGHT? WRONG!!!!!!!!

Many do not know the pump must be Adjusted for clearance during the install.

This requires removing the cover and running a feeler gauge around the pump rotor, you must have the same clearance all the way around the rotor.

If this is Not done you can bet dollars to donuts the pump will fail, Melling or not.

Oil pump failures can also be traced back to other causes like wrong Oil, over heating, running low on oil, over revving when cold just to name a few.

The pump on the engine has a track record the pump in the box does not.

I am not saying don't do it but I am saying your rolling the dice Either Way.

Ted.

Very well said. I've owned a few cars with cam work, worked on a few others as well. I have never replaced an oil pump and never had any issues. As long as you perform a diligent, clean install there is really nothing to worry about in this regard.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
[QUOTE=IDEALG;5669324]If they do the job right a new oil pump isn't needed.

Like I said before ^ , listen to Ted
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
When I sent the car to Livernois for my cam and LS3 conversion, I specifically asked about the oil pump upgrade. They told me to stay with the stock unit.

That, plus what Ted said above, makes me very comfortable with the stock unit. These two shops know way better than most folks in my opinion.

Bad things can happen with any pump.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
All I know is when I did the cam swap, I didn't have my shop change the pump or the chain! Wasn't gonna be racing and all that, just a daily driver with a nice sound! Relief valve stuck, now rebuilding the motor! Could've used all that money elsewhere!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #33
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
All I know is when I did the cam swap, I didn't have my shop change the pump or the chain! Wasn't gonna be racing and all that, just a daily driver with a nice sound! Relief valve stuck, now rebuilding the motor! Could've used all that money elsewhere!
Just because a shop did it, doesn't mean it was done right. Not all shops have good mechanics.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Looks like there are 3 top shops / ADM, Jannetty, and Livernois/ that say the OEM pump is fine. You would clearly think that if they thought the Meling pump was better that they would recommend it since it would mean more money in their pockets. This tells me the OEM pump is just as good or better when installed correctly.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Then explain why many people are having the stock oil pump fail after installing a cam and or other engine mods. If they keep the stock pump then it isn't touched during a cam swap...
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Then explain why many people are having the stock oil pump fail after installing a cam and or other engine mods. If they keep the stock pump then it isn't touched during a cam swap...
Just because they kept their stock pump doesn't mean they didn't mess with it. Some ppl removed the pump to swap the chain and reinstalled it. Others removed it for other reasons.

Ted also mentioned overheating, high revs at cold temps etc. Read everything he stated in his comment. Some pumps can just fail for no reason as well but the same applies to melling pumps. People just don't understand statistics.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
I guess there is only 2 options then

1. Keep the stock oil pump and if it fails then bitch and complain cause you didn't get the Melling.
2. Get the Melling oil pump and it fails then bitch and complain because you didn't keep the stock pump.

No offense to anyone but this is all it boils down to. Pick option 1 or 2 and hope like hell you made the right choice.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
Pick option 1 or 2 and hope like hell you made the right choice.

This

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
To the OP, get the Melling pump. The proof that they are better shows in the lack of reported failure alone. In engine builder literature it has been reported that the stock relief valve starts moving as low as 6 psi. This causes wear in the relief valve bore which in turn allows the valve to stick. Ted is not going to buy you or anyone else an engine if it fails after the cam change.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
To the OP, get the Melling pump. The proof that they are better shows in the lack of reported failure alone. In engine builder literature it has been reported that the stock relief valve starts moving as low as 6 psi. This causes wear in the relief valve bore which in turn allows the valve to stick. Ted is not going to buy you or anyone else an engine if it fails after the cam change.
Proof in lack of reported failure? Again, does anyone on here understand anything about statistics? I highly recommend a class.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #41
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
So I should consult you for your superior statistics knowledge when I order parts for an engine build. The Melling pump relief valve and bore fit is superior to the stock unit. I've seen both.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #42
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDoc08 View Post
Ted Jannetty told me to stick with the stock pump. His philosophy was that if it isn't broken, why fix it?

Ted told me the same thing, there is zero NEED to change the pump. The stock one is just fine and its wasted money with zero performance gain. Spend the money someplace else. Same with timing chains.