Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
stev15

Drives: Lemans Blue with White stripes
What do you guys think?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ctureid=128603

Last edited by stev15; 11-29-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: wrong picture
stev15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
stev15

this is a picture of my motor,when I look at the perfect restored motors the oil cap is in the back.Should I turn valve cover around and hoses?sorry for the screw ups.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Not a huge issue either way. The valve cover is backward. Easier to fill the oil I guess.

Actually, my first thought - This picture brings up a totally separate issue - Strange looking exhaust manifolds in that picture. That would cause more questions in my mind. Where did they come from? Why would anyone run cast manifolds on a cross ram equipped car? Cross rams are GM engineered accessories item purchased from the parts department that were intended for an "off-road" race car application. Cross rams never saw the new car assembly line. Any car that had the Cross Ram added to it in the field would also have had some form of tubular headers mounted. The smog system would have been tossed in the trash along with the original manifolds. There is a good chance they would have added the "off-road" design GM camshaft too. The way it sits now, it's like wearing a tuxedo with sneakers. Not to offend anyone who runs it that way - Just an opinion. It is your car and you get to decide how to put it together.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
stev15

Exhaust manifold are Sanderson.I look them up they are between header and stock exhaust manifolds.pretty sure they came with car.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
stev15

any performance gains or loses if i put pcv valve back with hoses compared too the breather that on their now.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

None either way.

You will probably need to consider about where the PCV system will be hooked up. I don't think the cross ram setup was ever intended to run a PVC system. You will have to modify and improvise here. There is more than one way to do this. If you are willing to do that then I would suggest the following:

You probably want to keep the crankcase air inlet to be inside the air cleaner base (you want clean air going into the crankcase) attached to the rear hole in the passenger side valve cover. Find a metal elbow from a stock 4-barrell setup for this and attach to a rubber hose that runs to the metal hookup you will install in the base of the air cleaner. This looks like the factory single 4 barrel setup found on all the cars of the time. Parts should not be hard to find.

The PCV valve (the outlet) can go in the front hole in the drivers side valve cover. and the hose will need to be connected to some intake manifold vacuum source. Maybe you can attach vacuum fitting where that brass plug is now? Not perfect but it seems doable. I would want to find some way to do it.

Cross rams are like a crazy sexy girl. Lots of fun to look at but they can be a complicated chore to live with.

-Mark.

Last edited by Stingr69; 12-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

OR... you can keep the breather as an intake and use the PCV valve hooked up to the manifold vacuum. Might be better than nothing BUT you WILL get oil mist vapors drizzling out of that breather all the time. Ugly and messy. Probably will pull dirty air into the crank case as well. Not great I know. Easier and less cutting than the above option but no where near as good a design from a functional standpoint. The factory type PCV system design is much better and it does work.

Been there, done that 30 years ago.

-Mark.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
stev15

Thanks for advice