Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
What should I be expecting to pay for upgrade installations??

I have a number of parts to get installed, but I'm getting widely varied labor costs from different places ranging from 2k-3k, and don't really know what I should be paying. I don't have the time to install any of it myself. I'm in FL, but don't expect pricing to vary much from location to location for installation.
I picked up the following to get installed (and obviously, I'll need a tune):

1. GPI - Ported OEM LS7 Cylinder Heads
2. CHE bronze trunnions
3. GPI SS1 cam
4. C5R timing chain
5. FAST LSXr intake manifold w/ OEM style fuel rails
6. Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
7. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with green cats
8. Every damn gasket, seal, and bolt (which was a surprising amount itself!)

Last edited by HoodCheck; 10-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
I'd go to the shops and see how you feel after visiting and conversing with them and see how they work on what they currently have in the shop. $1k variance from $2k - $3k is yes, 50% more money. However for that $1k you may have a car that is well sorted, free of collateral damages, and feeling of ease on your end when you have a job-well-done. Conversely, same could happen with the $2k shop.

Sometimes to just walk in some places and see if things are neat, orderly, cars have some sort of protection wrap on fenders. Attitude and welcome/friendly demeanor. Or nonsense to be seen and heard.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
I'd go to the shops and see how you feel after visiting and conversing with them and see how they work on what they currently have in the shop. $1k variance from $2k - $3k is yes, 50% more money. However for that $1k you may have a car that is well sorted, free of collateral damages, and feeling of ease on your end when you have a job-well-done. Conversely, same could happen with the $2k shop.

Sometimes to just walk in some places and see if things are neat, orderly, cars have some sort of protection wrap on fenders. Attitude and welcome/friendly demeanor. Or nonsense to be seen and heard.

This ^^^^^
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Id want to know if they are measuring clearances when they do the install. A lot of shop just slap it together. Id specifically request to see all the measured clearances when they do the install. Such as installed spring height, piston to valve clearance, chamber volume, advertised durations, static compression, and push rod measurements. Request they supply you documentation of said measurements. If they cant do that, go elsewhere. The difference in price can be a difference in the quality in their work. Id gladly pay for quality. This is not something you want done for the lowest cost. If its done by sloppy mechanics, you will end up with issues with the car.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
I'd recommend taking a trip up to Cumming, GA near ATL and working with Vengeance Racing. They did my Stage 5 build on my 2015 and they are solid people who do great work. david@vengeanceracing.net Dave is the person I'd reach out to, they'd be happy to discuss your goals and potential cost.
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
HoodCheck

I get what you guys are saying, but unfortunately I've got 6 kids to deal with all the time along with my full time job, so going around scoping out shops in person just isn't in the cards for me. I do a hell of a lot of research on each shop, just wasn't sure what all this should run so I know whether or not they are quoting cheap, quoting expensive, etc. In the end I have to depend on reputation, recommendations, and reviews. Unfortunately I'm finding reviews that contradict recommendations in some cases. Was looking at a shop that *many* people swear by, but then I check the reviews, and yea, there are a lot of good reviews, but the bad reviews are straight up BAD (like them laughing at a customer who's engine blew like 10 miles from their shop after being tuned by them).
Last time I did a similar build (not quite the list I have above), I did much of the work, but that was also 4 kids and 13 years ago, and didn't have to worry about getting all of it slapped on by a shop. Back then I spent a lot of time under my car.

GPI is supposed to be setting everything up on the heads for the cam I bought from them as well (many of the parts I bought came from them), so I'm anticipating that should be pretty much squared away at least. But now I'm going to remind them again lol.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilsonSr View Post
I have a number of parts to get installed, but I'm getting widely varied labor costs from different places ranging from 2k-3k, and don't really know what I should be paying. I don't have the time to install any of it myself. I'm in FL, but don't expect pricing to vary much from location to location for installation.
I picked up the following to get installed (and obviously, I'll need a tune):

1. GPI - Ported OEM LS7 Cylinder Heads
2. CHE bronze trunnions
3. GPI SS1 cam
4. C5R timing chain
5. FAST LSXr intake manifold w/ OEM style fuel rails
6. Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
7. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers with green cats
I'm still at work, it's Friday and I'm bored.

Here's my accounting degree kicking in so don't bash me all you hot rodders out there. Here it goes.

If you get a guy to do some work in his garage expect to pay $65 to $95 per hour. That's low end to high end.

If you get a shop to do some work add 30% overhead for running a business.
$84.50 to $123.50 (round to $85 to $125 per hour). That's low end to high end.

Add misc fees such as shop fees, oil, bla bla bla.

If you provide your own parts, it's cost plus the numbers I gave you X hours it take to do the job. Now you say you have experience in hot rodding so you should have some idea how long it will take. Say, 16 hour to 24 hours.

Joe Dirt garage
So, if all your parts cost you $3200.00 and it takes Joe Dirt 24 hours, than it will be 3200+(24x65) = $4760 total cost.

At a professional shop
If you take it to shop, your parts $3200+(24x125) = $6200 total cost + shop fees (this depends on where you live).

If you don't have parts, expect to pay 10% markup fee from Joe Dirt or from shop, since they have to go and get it for you.

Joe Dirt garage
3200+10%+(24x65) = $5080 total cost if they get the parts. He might go and get it for you for a case of beer so 10% is negotiable.

At a professional shop
3200+10%+(24x125) = $6520 total cost if they get the parts.

Don't forget add tuning. $350 - $500 per tune

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. I'll bill you for it. Good luck and let me know if my numbers came close to the numbers you got from others.

Heck college degree sure did pay off.

Last edited by pzero; 10-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
I'm still at work, it's Friday and I'm bored.

Here's my accounting degree kicking in so don't bash me all you hot rodders out there. Here it goes.

If you get a guy to do some work in his garage expect to pay $65 to $95 per hour. That's low end to high end.

If you get a shop to do some work add 30% overhead for running a business.
$84.50 to $123.50 (round to $85 to $125 per hour). That's low end to high end.

Add misc fees such as shop fees, oil, bla bla bla.

If you provide your own parts, it's cost plus the numbers I gave you X hours it take to do the job. Now you say you have experience in hot rodding so you should have some idea how long it will take. Say, 16 hour to 24 hours.

Joe Dirt garage
So, if all your parts cost you $3200.00 and it takes Joe Dirt 24 hours, than it will be 3200+(24x65) = $4760 total cost.

At a professional shop
If you take it to shop, your parts $3200+(24x125) = $6200 total cost + shop fees (this depends on where you live).

If you don't have parts, expect to pay 10% markup fee from Joe Dirt or from shop, since they have to go and get it for you.

Joe Dirt garage
3200+10%+(24x65) = $5080 total cost if they get the parts. He might go and get it for you for a case of beer so 10% is negotiable.

At a professional shop
3200+10%+(24x125) = $6520 total cost if they get the parts.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. I'll bill you for it. Good luck and let me know if my numbers came close to the numbers you got from others.

Heck college degree sure did pay off.

Lol thanks brotha.

Shit I WISH those parts only cost 3200 lol. I've got $7,185.79‬ into the parts alone (and thats with getting the intake manifold at less than half price, getting over 150 knocked off the headers, and smaller amounts discounted off of other parts). But, I do have all the parts, including gaskets, seals, etc etc...I *should* have everything I need short of oil at this point.

The messed up part; I only planned to get the heads lol.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
What I’ve heard about those green cats is all bad just a heads up
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
What I’ve heard about those green cats is all bad just a heads up
I've only heard good things on multiple makes and models, aside of a couple mentions of someone running the shite out of their car and melting one lol (pretty sure they were speaking of the same car; and probably no coating). They cost a LOT more, so ill be pissed if they are junk, thats for damn sure!

Last edited by HoodCheck; 10-18-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Right !! I heard that lol
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Custom work is not quoted out of a flat rate book. Prices will vary from shop to shop just on labor rate alone, as stated already.

I would also ask how many LS7s they’ve done similar to what you’re asking them to do. Then ask for references to call. That would be the only way I would do it without going to each shop.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote