Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
jcouves

Drives: Bumblebee!!
Red face Lost control of my SS at 10mph

First, let me explain: in Brazil, where I live, RWD cars are very rare, and I only drove AWD and FWD cars all of my life (roughly 20 years driving). It's my first muscle car.

So, I am driving my brand new Camaro SS (automatic) and stop at a traffic light.

It's 2 AM, the rain had just stopped, and literally no one is on the street. It's a very large, straight avenue, and I can see clearly almost a couple of miles ahead with no one there.

That little devil start saying to me "ok, let's se what this baby can do". I didn't turn off any of the stability helpers. When the light goes green, I step on the floor as fast as I can. Oh, that beautiful V8 sound!

And then the trouble starts: when the car reaches something like 10 mph, the rear end starts to dance like a fish tail swimming. Scared, I release the gas pedal smoothly, and regain control of the vehicle after turning almost 90 degrees. I stop the car, shaking, only my pride was hurt. Geez, what has happened? I go home slowly like an old lady, trying to understand what has happened.

Ok, the ground was wet, and I know that RWD cars are more unstable on those conditions, but spinning at 10mph? And the stability control? Shouldn't it stop the rear end from losing control? In 20 years driving, I did a lot of stupid things, but never lost control of the rear end of my car.

Should I check if my car has a problem or am I the problem?
jcouves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Should have got a v6..

oh yeah, i went there! lol
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
it's you. take you'r time. pay the money for a class. it's cheaper than wrecking your car or getting hurt.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
zslewis

Drives: 2010 TT Camaro SS
for 1. never slam on the gas after it has rained... you found out why last night... 2. wouldnt recommend doing that again, wait till its dry

Zach
zslewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Bom dia,

I work in Brazil, not that it has anything to do with what happened...

The roads down there are going to be a huge limiting factor... Please remember that your Camaro has way more power than probably any car you have ever driven... Wet roads are not the time to see what it will do...you can probably be going 60 or more mph and break the rear tires loose... On a wet road, the traction control will help but not prevent all occurrences of getting loose...

I've seen a few Camaros when I was down there and it thrills me to no end to see them..

drive safely and maybe I'll see you car some day... I've seen them in Vittoria, Navagantez, Macae, and a few other places...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
It was wet, your car has 400hp. You'll be fine. Enjoy your car.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Actually, wet roads and a large parking lot are the BEST way to learn about breaking traction.

It's normal for the rear tires to break loose, even with traction control. T/C will limit it somewhat after a few seconds, but you can still go sideways during that time.

Remember...you have 400+ horsepower, and that is a LOT. Unless you're trying to get loose, always be delicate with the throttle. Smoothness is important ANY time you drive, but more important with a car like this.

If you have a large parking lot, use it sometime...and test the limits of the car (both when wet and when dry).
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
billyp93

Drives: 2011 1lt rs camaro sim
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Should have got a v6..

oh yeah, i went there! lol
+10000000 But yea id get that checked out if i were you
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
you have to turn the wheel to compensate but don't over correct which is where most get into trouble. The rear end seems to always kick to the right for me a bit and then after gaining some speed it tracks pretty well up to 50 or so MPH which is where I let off the gas. Only try this on a closed course with a professional driver Seriously if this is not something you have experience with then don't do it, or take some advanced driving lessons at a school.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
automatics do not help the regain of control after letting off the throttle. Another aspect where having a clutch petal really helps.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
Lunatic

Drives: 80 Camaro Z28
Lol!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Yeah take it In and explain exactly what happened so it can be diagnosed.......

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
Allan Hernandez

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT/GrayHStripe
Send a message via Yahoo to Allan Hernandez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
Yeah take it In and explain exactly what happened so it can be diagnosed.......

Jason
IM 100% sure there is nothing wrong with your Camaro.A week after I got mine I was going 60 on a 4 lane highway here in texas on a stormy afternoon and did a complete 360 turn from the right lane all the way to the fourth lane ending up on the side of the highway about 5 feet from slamming into the guard rails luckily were I landed there was all grass and mud and it was just enough to stop my car before i slammed into the guard rail and wrecked no harm was done but it gave me quite a scare! Basicly you just have to be careful and aware of the conditions around you at all times

Last edited by Allan Hernandez; 04-25-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Allan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote