Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
2 1/2 car garage w/hoist build suggestions

Going to start planning for a backyard garage build. It's in a subdivision where the lots are a bit under 1/2 acre. So it can't be a monstrosity. I'm thinking along the size of a pretty deep 2 1/2 car garage.

My township regulations are outbuildings can't exceed the house sq footage. Pretty small ranch house about 1300 sq ft.

The spot Im putting it in could roughly accomodate a 24' wide by 30' deep.

I'd like the door on the 24' end, as that would give me a straight shot from the driveway.

I'd like to put in something like a Challenger 2 post lift on one side. Walls and ceilings don't need to be finished.

I'm thinking at least a 12' ceiling.

Any suggestions and tips to get the basic plans started? With a 2 post lift on one side, is 24' wide going to be wide enough to get two cars in?
One on the hoist, one next to it.

Havent decide yet between pole barn or 2x4 framing. In that size of a garge, any big advantage to either? I'm leaning toward pole barn.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
RAP2011RSRAGTOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1 CONV. & 2011 2LT RS CONV.
here is my shop, i am in florida so i dont need to close it in.

30' wide x 40' deep, 12' high walls with a 10' apron. CAROLINA CARPORTS

i had the concrete poured with extra thick pads for the lift to go on top of

i will put in ATLAS PV10 2 POST LIFT from GREG SMITH EQUIP. THIS FALL
Attached Images

RAP2011RSRAGTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
24' is pretty narrow. My house garage is 30'x 30' and I wouldn't want it any narrower for two cars. Remember, you have to have room to get out and open doors. Also 12' would be the min for a two post lift. make sure you get 10ft doors if you do a 12' ceiling.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Have you ever met someone who said they built too much garage/shop????

My attached is 1000 sq ft, no room for a shop as the wife wanted the walkout lot near the water.... LOL.

Being in Michigan, don't you want it heated? I would at least insulate and sheetrock so you could heat it. Remeber your gas and thermostat lines also.

But as motorhead said, remember your ceiling height. I would just do pole barn and then spray foam it. Pole Barn would be cheaper to get to 14' ceilings etc.

The main thing is what do you plan on using it for?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
My garage is 28 feet wide and with a 16' door there is 6' of space on each side for benches, shelves and walking space. If I parked anything besides the riding mower beside the Camaro, there would be a good chance of dinging the passenger door. That is if anyone was actually allowed to open the passenger door in the garage. With 24', you would only get 4' of space on each side which does not leave any room for both open Camaro doors and work benches. Car bays are generally 18' deep so you have plenty of room at the back for work benches, tool boxes, compressor, etc., but I would still go 28' wide instead of 24.

My garage is 28 x 36 with a 10' door on the side for the truck. That gives me an 18 x 28 foot bay with vaulted trusses for the dirty work, but I still have to pull the Camaro out if things get too nasty. There is even a loft over the two bays at the front for storage. I thought that would be enough and my wife said I was crazy and was building a house for my Camaro. It took about 12 seconds to fill it up.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Bigger is better. I have a three car garage but it's not deep enough and current truck barely fits, new truck will have about 1" in front and back so have to find another solution. Also if you have a truck check door heights
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
vatechguy3

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Its cheaper to keep the dimensions on 4' centers.
My old garage (ex wife got it) was 28' deep. I liked that alot. Plenty of room for the cars and my roll aways in front.

Tony

2001 Z28 M6
!cags, !air, FTP 85mm Lid, Z06 85mm MAF, P&P TB
!4x4, Strano Springs, Strano Sways, Koni 4/4s, Watts Link
ARH LTs, ARH catted Y, SLP catback with Dual/Dual Muffler, SLP CME and Valance
OE Wheels Machined Face C5 DDs, 18x10.5s, with 295/35-18s on all 4 corners!
352rwhp and 366rwtq
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Thats something i learned to take into account. ~20ft deep garage means truck wont fit. Luckily this is t a place ill. E living rest my life.
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
2x4 might make it easier to drywall. ..which you should plan on doing right away. It's so easy to wait and not spend the extra money at first...but your place will fill up and you're going to kick yourself for not doing it (and insulation) at first.
Go as big as you can get away with.

If you don't put in heat... plan/plumb for it now.

Put in tons of lights and outlets.

Floor drain if twp allows.

Wish my subdivision let me put in an outbuilding
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I did 32' width and 28' depth. My brother in law made his 40' x 26' and he has a 3 bay vs my 2 bay. I have more useable space IMO. The extra 2' of depth makes all the difference in the world.

I have a 2 post lift and 14' ceilings on one half of the garage and a bonus room up top on the other half.
Figure that you'll need a minimum of 3 feet from the endwall to the edge of the garage door opening.
You'll have to have at least a 9 foot wide door.
Plan to have another 3 foot minimum for the other post on the lift to sit.

That's 15 feet minimum width.

That leaves you with 9 feet to play with for your other garage bay. In other words, you can do it but the bay without the lift will have the garage door all the way to the other wall nearly. You wont be able to open the door much on the side facing the wall.
You really need 26' width as a minimum and that will be very cramped. As for depth 26 can work but having that extra 2' makes all the difference in the world. I keep my bench and tool box on the back wall. My brother in law does the same thing but his is only 26' deep. He brings his ext cab 1500 to my garage to work on it if he needs to be in out of the weather. He has to turn sideways to fit between the front bumper and his workbench if his garage door is closed with the truck inside.
28'x28' is about your minimum sizes before you really have to start making serious compromises in your storage and ability to work with any kind of comfort.

For reference, my lift is in the left bay in this picture.

A better picture

If you look you'll see that there is not much room to the left where the lift post is close to the wall. I can walk between it but have to turn sideways a bit. That's where you need the 3 feet from the wall to the edge of the garage door opening. Unless you put the lift right against the wall which would be a nightmare. You have to be able to get out of the car. Even if it were switched around to the other side you still need to be able to maneuver over there to put the arms under the car. I really tried to maximize my room and planned for a lift when I built this garage. It worked out pretty much exactly like I planned and it works for me just fine.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
RAP2011RSRAGTOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1 CONV. & 2011 2LT RS CONV.
Nice shop Dr. Evil.

looks like you have plenty of room to play

my Atlas PV10 lift came this week, hope to have it up in a week or two.
RAP2011RSRAGTOP is offline   Reply With Quote