Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Maroon 6.2L SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
Burnout (water pit)

Hi. I'm new to the water pit burnout. In the past did a drive around the water pit and then staged. This year I added drag radials. One thing that confused me was after watching multiple videos, some guys would back into the water pit and then roll forward a bit and then burnout. Other guys did a real quick turnover of the tires "in the water pit" and then would roll forward and do a burnout. Is there a "normal/expected" way of doing a burnout after wetting the tires?
Maroon 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon 6.2L SS View Post
Hi. I'm new to the water pit burnout. In the past did a drive around the water pit and then staged. This year I added drag radials. One thing that confused me was after watching multiple videos, some guys would back into the water pit and then roll forward a bit and then burnout. Other guys did a real quick turnover of the tires "in the water pit" and then would roll forward and do a burnout. Is there a "normal/expected" way of doing a burnout after wetting the tires?

Textbook answer is that you drive around the water box, back into it to wet the surface of the tire and then pull just slightly forward of the water to do your burnout.

However, most tracks i have been to on T&T nights throw so much water out there that it is impossible to drive around it and they force you to drive through it. If that's the case drive through the box and do your burnout right after the water.

If you are a manual, start in 2nd gear. If you are an auto start in 1st and shift it (or let it) shift into 2nd. jUst spin them until you see a bit of white smoke, overdoing it will just waste tire. (or it can be fun...your money)

Don'ts:

Do not do your burnout in the middle of the water box, you will look stupid , spay water all over the place, and cool the tire you are trying to heat up. Also most tracks do not like it if you do rolling burnouts, especially if you go past the starting line. Unless you are in a 5 sec car, a simple stationary burnout should do you just fine.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
You only drive through the box if your running skinnies on the front.

You back in if your running regular streets.

Do a slow spin in the box to wet the DR's so you don't slosh water in the wheel well.

Roll forward out of the box and warm them for 10-15 seconds.

Here is MT's suggestions:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...fication-sheet

BURNOUTS– FOR MOST APPLICATIONS
The length of your burnout will be dictated primarily by the ambient and track conditions. The hotter the temperatures, the shorter the burnout. When the temps get cool, a longer burnout will be necessary. Ideally you want the tire temp to be within 15 degrees of the track temperature on the launch. When the track temps exceed 120 degrees, it is always best to keep your tire temps on the lower side. Here are some additional tips for maximizing the performance of your M/T racing tires.

First pass of the day will be your longest. After that follow the guidelines of #2 and #3 stated below.
Automatic transmissions and Bias tires with Softer compounds: First pass or two, fairly hard burnout relative to ambient conditions. After that a light burnout should be sufficient.
Standard transmission and Radial tires: Typically shorter burnouts are better. A light burnout, enough to haze the tires, then stage immediately.
No dry hops. This does nothing to improve traction, and in some cases can have a negative effect.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I would highly suggest that you visit the drag strip or strips online sites you plan on running at and read through the general rules /guideline sections. I've never went around the water and then backed up and then back forward again lol. But all the tracks we ran at didn't mandate this. Another thing is to go up and watch the track worker or workers in the water box. Watch were they stop the other drivers and see how consist they are or not. Most are pretty good at putting the cars in the right spot. Or you can open your door while pulling through the box and stop where you're happy but not at the beginning or middle....always right at the end or just past.

I would suggest not sitting in spot for 10-15 seconds and then just lifting off the gas. Always towards the end of the burnout lift off the brake some and roll the burnout out at least a few feet. This way as you roll forward you're assuring that your tires are as dry as possible and that what little bit off water that may have been in front of your tires was burned off. Now this is no guarantee as I've seen a handful of times water in front of the tires get "dragged" to the line. I have seen this with drag radials a couple of times but very rare. I've seen cars with slicks do this more than any other tire. Again rare but I does happen.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
However, most tracks i have been to on T&T nights throw so much water out there that it is impossible to drive around it and they force you to drive through it. If that's the case drive through the box and do your burnout right after the water.
Drives me crazy, they do this all the time at my local track. I usually back in, but they make it pretty much impossible. I usually just end up driving straight through, and I try to carry my burnout a few feet at the end of it to run through and dry the little bit of water my fronts have put down.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
What I have noticed is it depends on the tires you have. If you have street tires, drive around the water box and back in to clean the rear tires with a quick spin. Then pull forward a few feet to do your burnout. If you have track specific tires, skinnies and slicks or DRs, just drive into the water box, do a quick spin to clean off the rear tires, roll forward a few feet and do your normal burnout.

Also ask the track prep guys if they have lane specific prep. We have a local track that has one lane for DRs and the other for slicks. Unfortunately, I have DRs and prefer the left lane and it is always prepped for slicks.

I have noticed, through video, that some tracks recommend doing the burnout in the wet box. I never understood this and can't get an answer from the people who use those tracks.

Don't do a rolling burnout through the tree, pisses everybody off. And leave your 4x4 with offroad tires on the dirt. I don't care how much boost you are making. It screws up track prep.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
graf101
Trouble_SM

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1
I like to keep it simple: drive through the water box, stop a few feet from it and start your burnout. Then roll forward and begin staging. Works every time.
graf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Every track I’ve been to the guy running the lanes will give you hand signals. Really helps when you’re new and not sure where to place the wheels once in the box.

But easy remember, street tires go round and skinnies go thru is fine
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote