Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
sac130e

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS BRM
RANGE AFM Advise

Looking at getting the Range module, but looking at people that use it with the 2014 models and have it working as advertised. Also, anyone bought recently from Amazon and know which version is shipping from them?

Thx
sac130e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Blountatv

Drives: Camaro 2ss L99
I have it 2014. I have had start up issues with it. My power steering not working, abs, brake light staying on and saying it needs service. Once my Heater was turned on high and defrost and the computer would not allow me to adjust it. I would remove the device and let car set for 10 minutes then it would all clear or reset. If my car is going to sit for more than 2 days I remove it. Knock on wood that had fixed the issues. I have not had that issue since I started removing it in about a month. I have the latest version. I have to say some people have those issues and some don't but I have to say it is worth it but could cause you some delay from time to time.
Blountatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Advise is NOT to use it and do it right by TUNING, this thing is plugging into the brains of your car! Think about it.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Jebario

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Black/Inferno Orange
It's fine. Works as advertised. Even my service advisor says it leaves no clue when it's unplugged. It does not mess with the brains any more than the Progressive Auto Insurance OBD port plug in does. It does have a slight battery drain depending on which version you have. I have version 2 which does not have that battery drain issue. As far as the power steering/ABS/Stabilitrac issues, if you turn off the ignition but don't remove the key to say sit there and listen to the radio then restart the car you MAY get those issues. I've had my version 2 for about a year and have had the issue twice. Each time I turned off the ignition, removed the key, opened and closed the door, waited 60 seconds and restarted. Problem gone. Is it 100% perfect? No. Does it get rid of AFM? Absolutely. Can you pull it out when you want to let AFM do its thing like when your on a long road trip or low on gas? Yep. Can't do that with a tune.

Jeff
Jebario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
TN REBEL SOUL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
works as advertised! Great device; especially for those who want to keep their warranty!
TN REBEL SOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
sac130e

Thx for the info, tune would be an option way down the road when warranty runs out, just got car month ago. Once I install the Borla catback, this device should help with droning. And I never leave keys in ignition when shutdown, so issues should be far and few in between. Now if Range sales would advise if models at Amazon are current, will pull the trigger. Thx
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the V2 I believe (not current) and have not faced any of the startup issues and check engine lights people have been complaining about!

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Just order from them direct and maybe they'll give a C5 discount, also check the classifieds.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Blountatv

Drives: Camaro 2ss L99
Mine had the issues by simply remote starting the car at times. It would happen when I would go to the store then come out and start with key. I'm just stating the issues that I have had, some don't. I talked to range and they gave me a new unit and it still did it. I'm happy now because my car seems to like it now. I was given the option to return for full refund but did not. If you have the issues they can be corrected easily. The device is worth it if you want your warranty. Unless you have a gift card for amazon give Apex a look for your order. Unless Amazon has an old unit laying around it will be the latest version, so I have been told by range.
Blountatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
Youngone

Drives: Supercharged 2013 2SS/RS
Hello my good sir. The range i've been told is not the way to go... Many problems can occur, but may not. Who knows? I know this may sounds dumb but, once you start driving (i usually do this above 3rd and fourth) but use the paddles and shift down then up again. I have a muffler delete and it is very noticeable when the AFM kicks in. Here's the simple way to do it and it works for me.... Cruise at a certain speed, ex 35 mph in 4th gear, shift to 5th, back to 4th, up to 5th. This disable the AFM for the during of the car being in (S). If you reverse or put the car in park, the process needs to be repeated. I drive a 2013 2SS Auto. Hope this helps ya Jim. Any questions, just ask.
Youngone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
Range works for me. Got it from Amazon in November 2013. Latest one. I have never had any issue with it. 2014 SS/RS.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebario View Post
It's fine. Works as advertised. Even my service advisor says it leaves no clue when it's unplugged. It does not mess with the brains any more than the Progressive Auto Insurance OBD port plug in does. It does have a slight battery drain depending on which version you have. I have version 2 which does not have that battery drain issue. As far as the power steering/ABS/Stabilitrac issues, if you turn off the ignition but don't remove the key to say sit there and listen to the radio then restart the car you MAY get those issues. I've had my version 2 for about a year and have had the issue twice. Each time I turned off the ignition, removed the key, opened and closed the door, waited 60 seconds and restarted. Problem gone. Is it 100% perfect? No. Does it get rid of AFM? Absolutely. Can you pull it out when you want to let AFM do its thing like when your on a long road trip or low on gas? Yep. Can't do that with a tune.

Jeff
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
sac130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Range works for me. Got it from Amazon in November 2013. Latest one. I have never had any issue with it. 2014 SS/RS.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
Thx for the info. The Range person replied and said the 2014's were still in beta testing and he would let everyone know when it was fully tested.
But good to see someone using it with the 2014's. Once I get the Borla put on and see how it sounds/performs, then I may pick one up then.

Thx
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blountatv View Post
Unless you have a gift card for amazon give Apex a look for your order.
Thanks.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote