Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I can't get mine to break a freaking lug loose. I have a gun that is strong enough but never enough air. Volume I guess.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I can't get mine to break a freaking lug loose. I have a gun that is strong enough but never enough air. Volume I guess.
What brand compressor, gallon size and CFM do you have?
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
timtoolman24

Drives: 2012 LS3 2SS/RS
Just got my early christmas present, air compressor! Kobalt 60 gal. 11cfm@90psi it is a 220v on sale at lowes today for $450!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoolman24 View Post
Just got my early christmas present, air compressor! Kobalt 60 gal. 11cfm@90psi it is a 220v on sale at lowes today for $450!!!
Yeah. I saw that one on sale at my lowe's as well. Those are made by Campbell and housefeld for lowe's
Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
What brand compressor, gallon size and CFM do you have?
I started with a 6 gallon compressor....... (I know, go big or stay at home. lol)

It was just for the smallest things, airing tires and such.

I bought an impact gun for my car wheels and the pressure going to the gun was 120 pounds so should have at least broken one lug nut loose I thought. But it did not.

I never bought a bigger compressor but what I did do was buy a couple tanks for 20.00 thinking that maybe adding the vulume would solve my problem. Both 10 gallon tanks hooked together with lines of course.

It did not.

So I am guessing that I need a single big tank for enough volume to run the gun.

To further explain my ignorance on this subject, if my gun is getting 120 psi to it from a 6 gallon tank it should at least be able to brek one lug right? Or at least move it. But I've been told that the volume is an immeasurable that has more to do with just supplying the gun or tool with higher pressure longer but can make the tool stronger.

All I know is that my gun is strong enough to do it because it has done it on a bigger compressor at the same psi. But it won't do it on my little one.

Don't mean to jack your thread though. haha
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Oh, to answer your question, I do not know what the cfm is on my gun or tank.

To get back to your original post, here is some good info that answers directly. Might have even addressed my question too. I just need to go home and look at my tool and compressor power. Apperently deliverable PSI and deliverable CFM even on a single burst are two very different things.

http://www.powermate.com/air_compres...ying_guide.php

Last edited by PQ; 12-18-2013 at 10:33 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
Alain

You didn't hi jack my thread. It's helping both of us and those that just come and read it learn.

Check the CFM on your tank and on the tool, from what I've learned that's the bottom line when it comes to your compressor having enough strength to run the tool and/or break the lugs. The CFM output of the compressor should be at the very least the same as the tool requires (if the compressor's output is higher that's even better).

Obviously the amount of air your compressor can hold (size of tank) is important as well. I haven't read much on adding expansion tanks so I don't really know pros or cons of doing that.

Compressors with small tanks like yours don't have motors powerful enough to produce high CFMs, and that's the bottom line of your problem. I've been told repeatedly that 20 gallons is the smallest you should go.

You adding tanks to the compressor is not really gonna solve your problem because the power output of your compressor (CFM) is not high enough.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
You didn't hi jack my thread. It's helping both of us and those that just come and read it learn.

Check the CFM on your tank and on the tool, from what I've learned that's the bottom line when it comes to your compressor having enough strength to run the tool and/or break the lugs. The CFM output of the compressor should be at the very least the same as the tool requires (if the compressor's output is higher that's even better).

Obviously the amount of air your compressor can hold (size of tank) is important as well. I haven't read much on adding expansion tanks so I don't really know pros or cons of doing that.

Compressors with small tanks like yours don't have motors powerful enough to produce high CFMs, and that's the bottom line of your problem. I've been told repeatedly that 20 gallons is the smallest you should go.

You adding tanks to the compressor is not really gonna solve your problem because the power output of your compressor (CFM) is not high enough.
I believe you are right.

I just thought that the motor had nothing to do with it since the motor only fulled the tank and was not even on when engaging the tool. I am trying to follow the reasoning and it's confusing to me to think that the motor would effect it at all. When the took gets a certain psi through the same hose either way I can't see why anything else matters. I know I"m wrong, I just would like to know why that is.

When I get home I'll check it out and see what my number are. I believe it's time for me to pony up and get me a 25 gallon tank.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

2.3 CFM at 90 psi. lmao

Ya, I'm thinking that is my problem.

I always thought pressure was pressure but I guess not.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
Alain

Lolol. There's your answer my friend.

My compressor gets delivered tomorrow !!! Now off to finding air tools
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
2.3 CFM at 90 psi. lmao

Ya, I'm thinking that is my problem.

I always thought pressure was pressure but I guess not.
You may find that on small compressors the delivery lines to and including the regulator are small. You may have for example 90psi to your gun, but as soon as you press the trigger on your impact gun the pressure in the line instantly bleeds off and cannot be replenished through the small lines. A test of this would be to put a pressure gauge at the tool connection to see what the pressure is while the took is running. If you could connect directly to the tank, bypassing the regulator, you may find your gun would work. Only do this as long as you do not exceed the rating of your tool and the air hose.
And you are right. Pressure is pressure. But flow and pressure are different. You can have lots of pressure on one side of a restriction, but very little on the open side of that restriction. Hope this helps, and I'm trying not to get technical here.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
Indykid

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Don't forget the air hose and couplings. For high air use tools like impacts you need at least 3/8" air hose. Quick couplings can also restrict air flow.
Indykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
Alain

Here I am with my new toy !!! lol. this thing is solid. the box was intact, i was worried about the compressor getting damaged during freight.

now i'm off to find a rubber hose and tools !!!

couplings are what attaches the tools to the hose correct?
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
You may find that on small compressors the delivery lines to and including the regulator are small. You may have for example 90psi to your gun, but as soon as you press the trigger on your impact gun the pressure in the line instantly bleeds off and cannot be replenished through the small lines. A test of this would be to put a pressure gauge at the tool connection to see what the pressure is while the took is running. If you could connect directly to the tank, bypassing the regulator, you may find your gun would work. Only do this as long as you do not exceed the rating of your tool and the air hose.
And you are right. Pressure is pressure. But flow and pressure are different. You can have lots of pressure on one side of a restriction, but very little on the open side of that restriction. Hope this helps, and I'm trying not to get technical here.
Good info. Thank you. I may have to get bigger hoses when I get my compressor too. I do not know the ID of my current ones.

Quote:
Here I am with my new toy !!! lol. this thing is solid. the box was intact, i was worried about the compressor getting damaged during freight.

now i'm off to find a rubber hose and tools !!!

couplings are what attaches the tools to the hose correct?
Nice.

Not sure on the couplings. I would assume.