Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Will throw in my .02 and say I have used a 2-post Mohawk for the past 14 years and love it. I've used it to do everything from oil changes to engine swaps, in everything ranging from snowmobiles to Ford Excursions. I recently moved to a new garage with a slightly lower ceiling (about 10'8") but the Camaro goes all the way up with no problem.

I do have a friend with a 4-post Bendpak. I am not sure of the model, however I can say that I put my stock 2014 SS on it and it BARELY fit. The rear tires were each about a quarter inch from hitting some flanges near the rear posts. But it may be a smaller and slightly narrower model. Good lift overall though.

Most important is to check your floor requirements, and go with a trusted name and brand for a lift. I strongly suggest avoiding overseas brands. And make sure you get someone reputable to install it.
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernergmhtp View Post
Will throw in my .02 and say I have used a 2-post Mohawk for the past 14 years and love it. I've used it to do everything from oil changes to engine swaps, in everything ranging from snowmobiles to Ford Excursions. I recently moved to a new garage with a slightly lower ceiling (about 10'8") but the Camaro goes all the way up with no problem.

I do have a friend with a 4-post Bendpak. I am not sure of the model, however I can say that I put my stock 2014 SS on it and it BARELY fit. The rear tires were each about a quarter inch from hitting some flanges near the rear posts. But it may be a smaller and slightly narrower model. Good lift overall though.

Most important is to check your floor requirements, and go with a trusted name and brand for a lift. I strongly suggest avoiding overseas brands. And make sure you get someone reputable to install it.
Thanks Chris!
The Bend Pac model HD-9 is the wider version I am looking at.
The runway width is 86 1/2 " wide, which is what the Camaro needs to be comfortable without squeezing it onto the ramps.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
Thanks Chris!
The runway width is 86 1/2 " wide, which is what the Camaro needs to be comfortable without squeezing it onto the ramps.
Sounds good, I asked and his is an HD-7P which has 76-1/2" drive-through clearance. It was a tight squeeze!

But there is also apparently a wider HD-7W that you could look into if you don't need to lift a full 9,000 lb.
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernergmhtp View Post
This part of the installation is critical, particularly with two-post lifts. Typically there is a minimum concrete compressive strength requirement as well as a minimum slab thickness. It is also very important to be able to locate the lift's anchor bolt holes well away from seams, edges, and cracks, as those things count against the concrete's overall strength. And concrete failure tends to be sudden.

I'm a retired civil/structural engineer, and from time to time back when I had a day job I used to do analysis for steel plates anchored to concrete with anchor bolts just like the ones they'll use for your lift. I know I'm late to the party here, but this stuff is pretty damn important, and I know I'd be uneasy working under a lift installed on a minimum-spec floor.

Norm
Old 04-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
I put a four post in last month and went with a Lift Super Store model. The lift was an 8,000 lb demo model that the company used at a car expo. I was talking with the folks about lifts and bought their demo at the end of the show at a substantial discount. Re-assembly was easy and the lift can be used free standing or anchored. My only challenge was that I had to install extended garage door rails and a side mounted garage door motor to maximize the available garage roof height. When I'm not working on a car, I store my 67 Camaro on the upper setting and park our 2004 Mustang underneath. The lift came with three heavy duty drip pans and a super heavy duty jack pan.
Attached Images

trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #20
Shark72

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
I put a four post in last month and went with a Lift Super Store model. The lift was an 8,000 lb demo model that the company used at a car expo. I was talking with the folks about lifts and bought their demo at the end of the show at a substantial discount. Re-assembly was easy and the lift can be used free standing or anchored. My only challenge was that I had to install extended garage door rails and a side mounted garage door motor to maximize the available garage roof height. When I'm not working on a car, I store my 67 Camaro on the upper setting and park our 2004 Mustang underneath. The lift came with three heavy duty drip pans and a super heavy duty jack pan.
Looks Good!!
What is your garage ceiling height?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #21
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Quote:
I've had mine for around 10 years now. LOVE IT!!
NO problems. Like everyone else who has a bought a lift, I wish I would have purchased one sooner.

I don't know if they have changed the HD9, but mine uses pneumatic latch releases, which I don't mind. I can't remember if I have the runners set at the wide stance or regular. The width of the 4 posts stay the same, but the right "runner" has two different mounting locations.
Main thing I don't like about it is the "Ford blue" color. j.k.

You'll need a couple buddies to help you put the runners on...they're heavy.

If you've got the ceiling clearance...GO FOR IT!!!

Sorry for the messy barn. That's how i live.

Most are bad pics, but here's one that shows how wide it is with a C4 on it.

I swapped out engines last fall w/o even having to get out a jack or jackstand.

I installed poly bushings, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings on my C4, so this is how I unload the suspension. Raise the car, slide a couple 4 x 6's under it, then lower the 4 x 6's on some jackstands.

And I built a couple wood ramps for the side, and boxes for the center so I could drive my 600lb BadBoy mower on it, then raise it up to scrape off the deck.

cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
I purchased the 3 drip pans, and the jack plate or whatever it's called. I have used the jack plate several times for like holding up transmissions, exhaust, etc, but my drip pans are still wrapped up from the factory.

If you plan on using it mainly to raise vehicles to work on them, I wouldn't waste the money on the drip pans.
If you are going to use it mainly for storing a car under it, then yes, I would get the drip pans.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
Shark72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohocarl View Post
Main thing I don't like about it is the "Ford blue" color. j.k.

I swapped out engines last fall w/o even having to get out a jack or jackstand.

I installed poly bushings, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings on my C4, so this is how I unload the suspension. Raise the car, slide a couple 4 x 6's under it, then lower the 4 x 6's on some jackstands.

And I built a couple wood ramps for the side, and boxes for the center so I could drive my 600lb BadBoy mower on it, then raise it up to scrape off the deck.

Ford Blue.....LOL!!!
Thanks for the info.
I am looking at ordering the Bend Pak in Red. May take longer but hey!

Last edited by Shark72; 04-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #24
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I would love one of those lifts. I just dont think there is enough cement in the pad to secure it. May have to go with a Quick jack instead.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #25
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I would love one of those lifts. I just dont think there is enough cement in the pad to secure it. May have to go with a Quick jack instead.
Most of the 4 Posts do not need to be anchored and some have roll-around Kits
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Quote:
Looks Good!!
What is your garage ceiling height?
Garage ceiling height is 10 feet, 5 inches.
Attached Images

trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #27
Shark72

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Garage ceiling height is 10 feet, 5 inches.
Thanks, nice stable of cars there!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #28
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I have Bend-Pak lifts in my garage - a HD9 in the long/tall/wide configuration, and a XPR-10.

I also have the rolling trolley jack for the four-post lift; if you intend to use the lift for service (as opposed to storage), then I highly recommend it.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote