Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 02-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
Kevin C-ZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2015 Z28
1968 Z28 Short Block

Hi Guys,

I recently came across the opportunity to purchase an original 1968 Z28 short block that has been in good storage for the last 50 years. The engine and trans were removed from a friends wrecked 68 Z28 in the early 1970's and has been sitting since. The current owner is a machinist and says the engine will clean up with a .010 bore, and that the engine had about 40K miles on it when the car crashed. This fellow seems very knowledgeable and honest.
The short block includes the block, crank, rods, pistons. No balancer, distributor, flywheel, heads, just the short block. The block's pad is still serialized with the cars VIN and has the "MO' assembly data. The original intake and carb are also available separately. Can anyone tell me what this short block is worth as it sits? What should be the casting number of the block?
Thanks,
Kevin C.
Kevin C-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I know this was posted a while back but I've been watching for a response just out of curiosity. I did a quick internet search to find out a little info but placing a value on this engine in it's current state is very subjective. I think to your average Chev guy it's a cool novelty but since it's a 2-bolt main block it's cheaper to get a nice crate motor from GM (whoops, gm) and plunk it into the vehicle of your choice. Now if you're trying to restore a '68 Z and need a period correct block the value would increase significantly. What would be the intended purpose of this unique power plant if you purchased it?
Old 03-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
There are several types of buyers for this piece. You could say the value here is the sum of the parts at the low end. That value really goes out the window for other types of buyers. The short block is worth more to someone building a Z/28 that needs an engine. That said, the market will make the determination where the high end of the market actually is at that time. No real way to know that unless the piece is offered to the market and actually sells. You could look at similar recent sales to get an idea. Ebay sales history is available. That is a pretty good indicator of where the market actually is now.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #4
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
That depends. If it is indeed a DZ motor then it’s worth a decent amount even though it needs rebuilt. Still not much but more than your typical sbc. There is a true 302 near me that is a numbers matching long block for $800. You should easily be able to get that out of your short block with the right buyer.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote