Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
******** package installed - Questions

Hey all,
just finished my installation of a ******** 2x10" Kicker subs package.

Kicker ZX500.1 Amp
2 10" Kicker CVR dual coil subs at 2 ohms

This package hits really hard and looks great. I have a few questions though...

1. What can you measure and where that will tell me I have wired the subs correctly for 2 ohm load to the amp. I mean, I followed the wiring diagrams and all of that and I am sure that they are connected correctly, but how can I verify? Will and ohmeter on the positive and negative terminals of the subs read out at 2 ohms?

2. How do I correctly set the crossover frequency. Is there a rule of thumb?

Finally, I have a recommendation should anyone attempt to install one of these enclosures.

1. Do not bother to pre-mount the amp. I did so. I did it so that I wouldn't have to hold and screw it once I got the enclosure into the car. You cannot put the amp on the box before putting the box in the car, so setting the screws up front seemed to be the thing to do. Wrong. I had to drop it an inch or so to allow the seat to snap into its lock correctly. I ended up doing it in the car anyway and sweating a pool over everything!!! :(

Here are the results. Thanks in advance for any responses to my question.

-Dane
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
looks good ..but id like to know also.
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Make sure power is off to the speakers, and disconnect the speaker wires from the terminals. Set your DMM to ohms, and touch the positive and negative to each one. In your case, you're looking for ~ 4ohms at each terminal cup. It can be a touch higher, ot lower, won't hurt, ie; 4.2ohms, 3.8ohms.

Good rule of thumb for the crossover is 80hz. Some will go higher, but I wouldn't go much over 120hz. In fact, I'd stay at 100hz or lower.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Thank you! I suspected as much on the ohmage, but wanted to be sure. I appreciate the crossover info. I will play with it at the values you have suggested.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
indigloflow

Drives: Summit White 2ssrs inferno
How hard does the bass hit? I considered either the 2 tens package or the 2 tens package. Did you install a bass control knob? How bad are the rattles?

Thanks

Jesse
indigloflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Sorry,
missed your post. The tens hit very hard. I am very happy with the package and I do not hear rattles yet. As hard as it hits, I am sure some will develop!!!!

I did install the bass control knob right at my right knee on the console plastic. Very easy to route from back to that location. I will post pics...

-Dane
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
EWR

Drives: Soon:'11 Camaro Now:'01 Durango R/T
I've got a question, why did you bring the power, ground and remote turn on up and all the way around the amp? Wouldn't it have been easier and cleaner to bring it up on the the left side and to the amp? Just curious, not knockin' your install.
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
I've got a question, why did you bring the power, ground and remote turn on up and all the way around the amp? Wouldn't it have been easier and cleaner to bring it up on the the left side and to the amp? Just curious, not knockin' your install.
If you've ever looked under the carpet in the trunk, there is channel recessed into the floor for the main power cable to run to the battery. It's much easier to use this channel because it's a straight shot and there's extra room for more wiring. If you did it the other way, you'd have a big hump under the carpet and be pushing the box up. I suppose you could rout it all the way over to the side, but you'd have to remove the sidewall carpet and use a lot more wire. Just easier to use what's there.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Yes, what Steve said. I wanted to make sure there was some separation of power and signal lines as well. Good question!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Tigertrj

Drives: White Camaro 2SS/RS
nice i think im going to order the 12's package
Tigertrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
LiveStrong

Drives: 2012 Transformers Edition - 2SS/M6
Looks good!! I'm looking at placing my order this evening on this very same package. However, I am considering the 10zx750.1 Kicker amp instead. Not sure if that's too much amp for the 10 CVR 2ohm subs. I may consider going with the 12's instead if the sub enclosure is the same size. Anyone know if the enclosure for the 10's and 12's are the same size?
LiveStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
TMX85

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT A6
Great clean install! I have a similar setup with dual mtx jackhammer 12's and I just put in my new jackhammer 600.1 mono amp which has its own active cooling fans since the cheap kenwood I had was a pos. Looks awesome though! Anybody on the fence here about the box, harness, or setup in general should just go for it, you will not be dissapointed!
Born on 6/14 -->Arrived 6/22/10 2011 IBM 2LT A6 Bright Aluminum Wheels, Sunroof, Lip Spoiler Stealth Bulbs, Technostalgia LED tail lamps, HID's, TRIFECTA TUNE, injen CAI, CNT Racing catback exhaust, Kenwood ddx 516, metra dash kit, sirius sat radio, Hifonics Titan 1008D mono bloc amp driving a kicker solo comp 10 in its own enclosure. Power Acoustik Amp driving Hifonics 6.5 inch components and 6 x 9 infinity kappa rear components in ******** adapters, Painted Heritage Grille with custom american flag bowtie more to come!
TMX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
EWR

Drives: Soon:'11 Camaro Now:'01 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
If you've ever looked under the carpet in the trunk, there is channel recessed into the floor for the main power cable to run to the battery. It's much easier to use this channel because it's a straight shot and there's extra room for more wiring. If you did it the other way, you'd have a big hump under the carpet and be pushing the box up. I suppose you could rout it all the way over to the side, but you'd have to remove the sidewall carpet and use a lot more wire. Just easier to use what's there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8daneh View Post
Yes, what Steve said. I wanted to make sure there was some separation of power and signal lines as well. Good question!
Ok guys, cool, I understand. I don't have one yet so I haven't looked under the trunk carpet but that will change come first of the year.
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
looks good.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote