Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #15
2010BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
ARH 100% American made. Definitely my go to and the only one certified by GM for Camaro. I do like the guys at TSP for other stuff. Just not headers.

I may still end up going with ARH. I'm waiting to see what the online vendor says regarding return shipping and restocking fees, or if they will send me replacement parts.

As previously stated, ARH was my first choice if cost were not a consideration.
2010BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #16
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Wow that’s crazy but there are tons of delays everywhere especially with big companies like tsp. I’ve been waiting forever for my heads to come in from them to get my car into the shop and it took 7 months. But all the companies are still dealing with delays from COVID still sadly.

The quality problems really surprises me, I have Texas speed headers 1 7/8 and they are amazing with great welds. I did not even know they made full exhaust kits and personally I wouldn’t do there full exhaust since they aren’t known for it minus their headers. Hopefully they get their act together.

As Bo stated earlier in this thread, I think it was mainly shipping damage, rather than a quality issue. The one exception to that statement is the collector on the end of one of the headers that was out of round. It looks like this collector was definitely out of round from the factory, as the headers were packed well, and the box they were in arrived in pristine condition.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #17
2010BlackCamaroSS

The online vendor told me they frequently receive exhaust systems in the same condition as mine and that they would just install them. I replied that they probably had some tools that I didn't have to make that work because I cannot slide the pipes together in the condition they are in. I then asked them what tools I needed to fix the pipes. They replied that they just used a hammer and pliers.

I was prepared that I might have to dimple them in some places for clearance, but I never thought I would have to correct deformities to get them to fit together. It doesn't seem like I should have to do that with a brand new exhaust system. Also, it doesn't seem conducive to a leak free exhaust.

Did any of you have to hammer and bend on your pipes to get them to fit together? Should I call BS on the online vendor?
Old 09-25-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Now I did have to use a hammer and a block of wood to get the slip fit connections to get them fully seated together. And just a tip, you will have to dimple the pipes where the transmission crossmember bolts are and the connection where the cats or connection pipes meet the x pipe is pretty much in a bind. It wants to angle down so I just put it together the best I could and then took it to a welder and had them welded up on that joint to relax it there in that one spot.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:37 AM   #19
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
1 7/8" ARH LTs/full exhaust great fit, no dimpling, hammering or welding, except for adding bungs. The cats did blow out, but I attribute that to nitrous. I installed them about 8 years ago, give or take. Also, had the long tubes Jet-Hot coated. Had to grind off the coating for the slip joint to fit.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #20
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackCamaroSS View Post
I don't want to name the vendor, as TSP was responsible for the delays, not the vendor.

I do, however, think that vendors should update their websites to indicate whether a part is in stock or not. They should also post lead time estimates if the part is not in stock.

If I had known the system was not in stock when ordering, I most likely would've kept looking.
Problem is many companies are just the middle man and usually don’t stock much. You order through them and they order through the manufacture. They get a small amount for selling the item and never have to even see it.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackCamaroSS View Post
I may still end up going with ARH. I'm waiting to see what the online vendor says regarding return shipping and restocking fees, or if they will send me replacement parts.

As previously stated, ARH was my first choice if cost were not a consideration.
Sucks you have to add re-stock fees and then add higher priced headers but it will be worth it in the long run. Avoiding potential fitment issues could be worth it's weight in gold. Maybe give Texas Speed a call directly.

Also, here's a cool button to multi quote so you don't have to create a new post to reply to each person.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  10.3 KB
Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #22
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Sucks you have to add re-stock fees and then add higher priced headers but it will be worth it in the long run. Avoiding potential fitment issues could be worth it's weight in gold. Maybe give Texas Speed a call directly.

Also, here's a cool button to multi quote so you don't have to create a new post to reply to each person.

Attachment 1080711

Good tip. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #23
2010BlackCamaroSS

Final word on this is that I can either send the system back, or TSP will give me $50 to have an exhaust shop fix. I don't think $50 is going to cover it...
Old 10-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #24
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Maybe count thy blessings you have product at all. I retired from a major driveline parts manufacturer in January of this year. We (they) prided themselves on 90%+ fill rates for decades, barring some market issues here and there. As did most reputable manufacturers across many industries.

I learned on Friday that they’re now operating at near only 28% fill rates. It’s horrible out there.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #25
2010BlackCamaroSS

Update:
I ended up purchasing a pipe expander to correct the deformities at the end of the pipes. Worked very well and all the pipes slid together pretty easily.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 2" headers fit. They did manage to clear the other parts of the car, but they were very close to the steering shaft joint on the driver side and very close to the frame on the passenger side. I decided to not take any chances and dimpled them for added clearance.

This is when I discovered my next obstacle; neither end of the x-pipe had enough spread between the pipes to fit the rest of the exhaust together. The header end of the x-pipe was about 1.5" too narrow to fit over the cats after installing the headers and the muffler end of the x-pipe was so narrow that I couldn't even rotate the extension pipes into the correct position to connect to the mufflers. I have read on here that another member had a similar issue.

I ended up taking the x-pipe to my company's shop, cutting the x-pipe apart, and welding a 1" spacer between the 2 pipes. Yes, the spacer is hollow, so it still allows exhaust gas exchange between the 2 pipes. However, I don't know what effect this has on the flow/performance of the x-pipe. Now, my x-pipe is a combination between an x and an h-pipe, I guess.

After the modification described above, I was able to fit the rest of the system together without too much trouble. I did have to dimple the x-pipe on the driver side so that it would clear one of the bolts on the transmission cross-member.

Now that it is on the car, I can comment on the sound characteristics. It doesn't quite have the same low rumble as the straight pipe/Borla ATAK exhaust I took off of the car, but it still sounds like a hot rod. The TSP system seems to be a bit quieter, but that is a plus in my book, as the old exhaust was extremely loud, even when taking it easy. There is a bit of a drone/vibration at certain low RPMs, but it goes away quickly. There is no drone while cruising. I can't really tell you what it sounds like under WOT, because I am still breaking in my new 3.91 gears.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the full ARH system and save myself the headaches.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:41 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
It's really strange that you had these problems with your TSP exhaust and I didn't have any problems at all except the one I mentioned earlier. But I did pick mine up directly from TSP since I live only about 40 minutes away. I don't know if mine didn't have any shipping damage or if they have maybe two manufactures and I just got the better of the two. And I did use the 1 7/8" headers because I knew it would be a tight fit with the 2" primaries. Yes the sound is phenomenal, it doesn't sound like any other exhaust out there and like you said it is quieter than most other exhaust. I even had some resonators welded in to take out the raspy sound out.
Anyway I'm glad you got it on there.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #27
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
why would there be a shipping cost to you if the headers are defective? They should pay the trip back and refund you. if the damage is shipping related, then same, you send them back on their dime and they file a claim with the carrier. done deal and everyone happy.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:29 PM   #28
2010BlackCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaReNi View Post
why would there be a shipping cost to you if the headers are defective? They should pay the trip back and refund you. if the damage is shipping related, then same, you send them back on their dime and they file a claim with the carrier. done deal and everyone happy.

You're right. If I stated earlier in the thread that I had to pay shipping, I was speculating. TSP did offer to exchange, but I had already waited over 2 months to get the system I had and lead times are not getting any shorter. They did not have another system to send me, so I would've had to wait who knows how long to get a replacement.