Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
shazam

Drives: IOM/IOM 2LT
Optima Battery

Hey Guys,

Didn't know where to post this...

Anyone changed their factory Battery to an Optima one?

Mine is officially toast now!

If so what model Optima did you use that fit well?

Thanks in advance!
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
NitroExpress

Drives: 2 SS/RS
I was wondering the same thing. I just searched Optima's website and they don't list anything for the Camaro.
NitroExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Not worth the money! Have had two in different cars and once the loose a charge, their a pain in the ass to charge up and get to hold it
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Not worth the money! Have had two in different cars and once the loose a charge, their a pain in the ass to charge up and get to hold it
Yeah, same with the Braille. Mine went out after 4 months and would not recharge.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
scnhra

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS White
Send a message via ICQ to scnhra
3x things suck. Went through 3 of them in my Hawk. Replaced 2 of them all under warranty 3 time I said give me something else. Got a Bosch and 0 issues in 5 years.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I had a red top in my Colorado that only lasted 3 years and 10 days. Autozone replaced it free. The new on got drained somehow and I had to reconditon it with a charger but still works good. It didn't help at all for stereo power. Alternator is only good way to help there, unless you want to rock without the engine running. Then consider Kinetik.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
shazam

Drives: IOM/IOM 2LT
It's weird some people love the optima's and some people hate them...

I hate my current battery cause I can't even grab a coffee without trying to find a downhill I can bump start it on!

Some good news for everyone is that I found a newer battery from ACDelco that I'm gonna try (it's on order but if it starts the car that will pretty much win me over at this point, I put gas in with the car running today!).

Its an ACDelco 94RAGM (Absorbed Glass Mat).

The factory one is a 94R6YR (6 year warranty which isn't valid unless you buy the battery outright, otherwise it's only warrantied for the bumper to bumper period which sucks cause I deem this dead way to early in my own opinion.

So it's a spillproof battery with the same technology as the Optima's (no spiral core). I can't find too much information about it but the CCA look to be at 800 instead of 720(which is what the sticker on my current battery says) and based on it's size I'm expecting it will have a similar reserve capacity.

So my original plan was to find the biggest ugliest battery that I could replace this with, but apparently the Camaro Guys were looking out for us and put one of the biggest batteries regularly available in the car.

I think the original battery has a reserve of 140min, it's pretty hard to find anything that would outpace that.

So alas, I'm going to try this new ACDelco, it should be able to take some more deep cycling then the regular one and at least I know for sure it drops right in to save on some bracket modding and I think it has a vent tube too, but who knows!

Hope this helps someone in the future...
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
why is your battery FUBAR? are you running a high end stereo?
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
I have one in my Trailblazer, no problems for 5 years of having it.
Tayap79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam View Post
It's weird some people love the optima's and some people hate them...

I hate my current battery cause I can't even grab a coffee without trying to find a downhill I can bump start it on!

Some good news for everyone is that I found a newer battery from ACDelco that I'm gonna try (it's on order but if it starts the car that will pretty much win me over at this point, I put gas in with the car running today!).

Its an ACDelco 94RAGM (Absorbed Glass Mat).

The factory one is a 94R6YR (6 year warranty which isn't valid unless you buy the battery outright, otherwise it's only warrantied for the bumper to bumper period which sucks cause I deem this dead way to early in my own opinion.

So it's a spillproof battery with the same technology as the Optima's (no spiral core). I can't find too much information about it but the CCA look to be at 800 instead of 720(which is what the sticker on my current battery says) and based on it's size I'm expecting it will have a similar reserve capacity.

So my original plan was to find the biggest ugliest battery that I could replace this with, but apparently the Camaro Guys were looking out for us and put one of the biggest batteries regularly available in the car.

I think the original battery has a reserve of 140min, it's pretty hard to find anything that would outpace that.

So alas, I'm going to try this new ACDelco, it should be able to take some more deep cycling then the regular one and at least I know for sure it drops right in to save on some bracket modding and I think it has a vent tube too, but who knows!

Hope this helps someone in the future...
Let us know how that works out.

Did you ever figure out if the new battery exceeded the specs of the old battery? Do you mind saying what you paid for it?

When my OEM battery dies I would want to replace it with an AGM battery but I've not seen any in the correct size.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Installing car stereos and motorsports for many years, and installing dozens and dozens of them, I can say that the Yellow top is much better than the Red.

I even have 3 Yellows in my trucks's stereo that have been going for @ 10 years now.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
SemyDaCop
LocoBee in da RGV

Drives: '10 Custom RY 1LT, '14 BlK SS/RS
Walmart is the way to go!!!

2010 Camaro 1Lt Custom
2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Custom
SemyDaCop is offline   Reply With Quote