Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Exhaust question

So i was on youtube and i was searching for V6 camaros with just high flow cats but i couldnt find any. i dont want an exhaust because once my warranty runs out im going FI but for the time being i was thinking about getting just high flow cats or removing them completely(i kno your not supposed to but im in florida so i can get away with it) and put in a magnaflow x pipe in its place. im just not sure if by changing or taking out the cats if the exhaust note will sound like crap.
what do you all think??
Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
I personally would wait till the warranty is gone. But it's your car, do what u please.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
florida smorida, if your car came equipped with cats your supposed to use them via EPA, the exhaust note may change a little without the cats but why? Normal people plan to get headers with high flow cats.........then maybe a x pipe work and cat back if neccessary, as exhaust work should do nothing to your warranty unless you start doing insano stuff like oh say..........muffler delete...illegal, or cat delete....illegal and get pullled over you get a ticket and have to go to court to prove you changed the car back to stock specs fdor having both.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

In my last car I ran with no cats for over 4yrs with no issues. What cop would take the time to look under the car to see if you dont have cats? It was just a simple question but I guess no one has the answer. The reason why I asked is because the stock ones are restrictive.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
really depends on what kind of FI you plan on doing. if turbo/s, I would just wait for that. if SC, I would just go ahead and get long tubes and high flow cats, or no cats. There are 4 cats on these cars, and they sit pretty high up near the manifolds. so to cut those off and replace with straight pipe, you might as well just get long tubes.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
You can straight pipe it right after the cats and add a Magnaflow resonated x pipe to combat the rasp. Make sure to use 2.5" piping from the resonated x pipe back. My friend did it and his car sounds pretty good.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Sounds like a good idea, didn't know that the cats were so far up. Ill go with some long tubes and i high flow cats till i decide on which FI to go with.
I have a 3yr warranty so it wont be a waste in money; too bad i cant get a tune with the bolt-ons ill be getting
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
You can straight pipe it right after the cats and add a Magnaflow resonated x pipe to combat the rasp. Make sure to use 2.5" piping from the resonated x pipe back. My friend did it and his car sounds pretty good.

Just did mine two weeks ago. Res X, 2.5" pipe and two magnaflow round mufflers. Came to just under 400.00 for it. Have to wait for it to break in though. The boominess from 1500 RPMS to 2000 RPMS was pretty loud. Now it is only a little louder than stock unless at half to WOT. The boominess of the exhaust has settled down enough my radio is only one notch higher on the volume to offset it.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Taw0193

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS

Rev and launch. 2011 Camaro LT1 RS, muffler delete, resonator delete, and stock H pipe delete. Magnaflow resonated X pipe put in place of H pipe and 3in pipe ran to the back of the car with 3 1/2 Inch tips.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Damn! a x pipe calm down the rasp that much? nice....
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Taw0193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
Damn! a x pipe calm down the rasp that much? nice....
Yea man. I parked next to an SS yesterday and when I got out he was like "damn bro, that sounds great" I'm quite proud of that compliment
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Taw0193

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
If you want a deeper tone i suggest 3in pipe from the cats back... HUGE difference in sound. But they both are good, none the less.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taw0193 View Post
If you want a deeper tone i suggest 3in pipe from the cats back... HUGE difference in sound. But they both are good, none the less.
not being picky but wouldn't 3" piping decrease in hp? i kno for N/A 4cyl cars it does.....
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
Sounds like a good idea, didn't know that the cats were so far up. Ill go with some long tubes and i high flow cats till i decide on which FI to go with.
I have a 3yr warranty so it wont be a waste in money; too bad i cant get a tune with the bolt-ons ill be getting
actually, you need to decide which direction you are going, before buying long tubes. because if you go with turbo's, you'll have to ditch your long tubes, if you get them. only get long tubes if you plan on getting a supercharger (or nitrous).