Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Worried about drone

I am really worried about drone, I am going to a muffler shop tomorrow to get a quote, I am going to buy the resonated x-pipe for 100 bucks from apex and I am worried about droning and annoyance in the cabin, I am doing a muffler delete and running 3 inch pipes from the resonated x-pipe and then 3 1/2 inch tips, is a resonator delete needed? Can somebody explain this set up to me so I can explain it to my dad and he can explain it to the guy at the muffler shop? Thanks in advance! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288401 Theres also a video on there of the cold start and takeoff. Did he floor it on that take off?
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Nobody?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
You want to install the resonated xpipe, 3" pipe the rest of the way back. Delete stock resonator and mufflers, add tips. Done
Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I guess I don't know what to explain. The pipe install should just run right where they are replacing the existing system. The resonated x would be right after the cats. It seems by your description you are replacing every thing from cats back to tips. If this is the case have you looked into any cat back systems ? When I did mine I went with the solo Mach cat back which included the resonated x-pipe and the tunable j-pipes which got rid of the drone. It was actually more cost effective than piecing it together.
There are axle back j-pipes you could add later if the drone is too bad.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
I guess I don't know what to explain. The pipe install should just run right where they are replacing the existing system. The resonated x would be right after the cats. It seems by your description you are replacing every thing from cats back to tips. If this is the case have you looked into any cat back systems ? When I did mine I went with the solo Mach cat back which included the resonated x-pipe and the tunable j-pipes which got rid of the drone. It was actually more cost effective than piecing it together.
There are axle back j-pipes you could add later if the drone is too bad.
So i can go ahead and get everything and if the drone is too bad I can just get those and it will add it even after the tips and pipes etc? and how much does that cost?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
You want to install the resonated xpipe, 3" pipe the rest of the way back. Delete stock resonator and mufflers, add tips. Done
What he said plus delete the rear cats will deepen the sound further and wont cause a cel.

I have less drone now with a muffler delete without mrt exhaust mufflers equipped.... go figure. .

On the highway I can now carry a conversation and the drone is reduced like crazy.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Nutbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
So i can go ahead and get everything and if the drone is too bad I can just get those and it will add it even after the tips and pipes etc? and how much does that cost?
You can have the j-pipe constructed by any installer or buy them from solo. I couldn't find the thread in the exhaust section on constructing the j-pipes but it isn't rocket science.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
You can have the j-pipe constructed by any installer or buy them from solo. I couldn't find the thread in the exhaust section on constructing the j-pipes but it isn't rocket science.
Price point on all of this?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Nutbutt

I have seen the J-pipes constructed and installed for under $300. The solo axle back system with j-pipes and 4 1/2 tips are $500. The full cat back system is $900. There are deals every now and then. Best bet is to call Steve Mariano and ask. He is also on this site as goingsolo I believe. Again I went with the full cat back since when I added up all the pieces it was more cost effective. Go to their web site for all the details.
www.solo-performance.com
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Taw0193

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
Hey man, Yes i floored it on take off. Soft acceleration isnt as dramatic. Drone can get annoying when cruising at 80+ but other than that, its not too shabby. I will gladly take an in cabin video if that would help you make up your mind? Let me know how I can help.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Taw0193

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Taw0193

Check out this picture thread on my profile. This might help. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=13326
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taw0193 View Post
Hey man, Yes i floored it on take off. Soft acceleration isnt as dramatic. Drone can get annoying when cruising at 80+ but other than that, its not too shabby. I will gladly take an in cabin video if that would help you make up your mind? Let me know how I can help.
Yes please! Will you make an in canon video with flooring and not flooring, and do you think the drone will go away with j-pipes?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Taw0193

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
Yes please! Will you make an in canon video with flooring and not flooring, and do you think the drone will go away with j-pipes?
I feel that J pipes are a waste of time and money. The car will drone. It is an engine and when you are cruising at 70+ MPH, the engine is working pretty diligent. Its not an electric car. :-D I will take the video on my way to Dallas today. Hopefully I can have it uploaded by this evening. :-)