Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Please help this newbie out. I would like to get injen or CAI, inc. what does carb legal mean to me? Are you guys talking about failing smog? Or something else? If talking about failing smog, can't I just reinstall factory intake, pass smog, and then put back my injen or CAI, Inc? Thanks.
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Used to like in HB. Loved the weather but thankful to live in MO now. Man that is mind numbing reading. Can't they include some colorful pictures or something?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Please help this newbie out. I would like to get injen or CAI, inc. what does carb legal mean to me? Are you guys talking about failing smog? Or something else? If talking about failing smog, can't I just reinstall factory intake, pass smog, and then put back my injen or CAI, Inc? Thanks.
CARB stands for the California Air Resources Board. The Air Resources Board is a panel of EPA people that regulate what gets to happen in states (we are just talking about California) in terms of air quality.

They set the smog laws and what equipment can be on vehicles that might pollute the air. Because California has unique geography, a lot of smog gets trapped in certain areas. Thus California is the most strict state when it comes to laws governing equipment on cars that might add to the current smog problem.

The ARB in California is the reason that SEMA has such a hard time coming up with products to be able to give out aftermarket. From what I understand (speaking with several people who are well know to this community), creating a new vehicle and getting it legal to sell in California takes roughly upwards of 1,000,000.00 (Thats One Million Dollars! And that was in 2008 when I got this information) per vehicle.

From what I have learned recently, it takes around 30-50,000.00 to do all of the proper testing to satisfy the Air Resources Board in California. My facts might be out of date, however.

It's sad that they don't recognize the potential for income from the automotive consumer; who, if they set a program up for, would jump through hoops and pay a little extra to enjoy their car the way they want to with the parts they want to.

But not everyone thinks this way I'm sure.

Anyway - this state sucks for smog.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Thanks blackv6. Good stuff. Cali also drives businesses out to cause of stringent rules. Too bad. So...are you saying that with a cai, I'll fail smog? Thanks!
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
They regulate our cars, they regulate our guns, I am sure next year my Cigar will have to meet CARB approval.

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
don't go there with guns, almost lost them. But if you look at CARB some countys in cali have less rules, one time smog and thats it. One being east of me
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
don't go there with guns, almost lost them. But if you look at CARB some countys in cali have less rules, one time smog and thats it. One being east of me
But if you get pulled over ANYWHERE in the state with a part that is "suspected" of not being legal, you will get sent to a "ref" and have to present the CARB # or swap out the part for the factory stuff prior to going.

CAI's take 10 minutes to install. As long as your not street racing, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just keep the factory box and install it when you go to get it smog checked.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Yes, you can just reinstall it and you'll be fine. This impacts everyone in Cali but it impacts people who have heavily modified their car more because it would be a pain to remove a whole turbo system everytime the car has to pass smog

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
WCFB-Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
...This impacts everyone in Cali but it impacts people who have heavily modified their car more because it would be a pain to remove a whole turbo system everytime the car has to pass smog...
or undo engine modifications....:emoticon7:

edit: I've heard of people who are "egregious offenders" (lots of mods) getting tossed in front of a judge for fines/possible jail time as well (but these were people who removed the EGR / Cats (which is a federal crime) and/or had other mods like nitrous hooked up and the officer witnessed them purging their systems).

Just saying - it's possible to get more than a fine for modifying something you own. Welcome to the People's Republic of California.

Last edited by WCFB-Russ; 09-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.
WCFB-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
Sikoriko

I am not worried about being pulled over, not very easy to see unless I open the hood will change out before smog then back on, Eventually most states will adapt to the kali standard. There is a web site killcarb dot org. This guy has some good information.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
WCFB-Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
I am not worried about being pulled over, not very easy to see unless I open the hood will change out before smog then back on, Eventually most states will adapt to the kali standard. There is a web site killcarb dot org. This guy has some good information.
Checkin out that website.

The problem with your argument is that a police officer will pull you over for speeding or weaving or any other infraction; if he thinks you look like someone who street races or does other dangerous stuff he will say "Can you please open your hood for me". you will pop the hood and he will open it and look around and you will get written up for anything that looks like you put it on there and it violates the law.

Resisting opening your hood just makes you look guilty and the officer will persist in having you open it and technically can get you for failure to comply. But that's another can of worms. Just realize that you are at risk for anything that you can pop the hood and look at - at any time.

Thanks for the website.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
Sikoriko

Yes you are correct I don't drive with the intent to get pulled over, it most likely will be a CHP thet know more about emissions then your local pd. But getting back to the subject. Who will be the fisrt to get a CARB exemption?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
WCFB-Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterv6 View Post
Sts turbo is for llt not sure on lfx
I forgot to mention... CARB EO#'s are for Engine type + transmission in a specific model of car (not submodel).

Chevy Camaro = make/model. LT/LLT/LFX - all of these are submodels and CA doesn't differentiate.

So if STS makes a kit for the V6 Camaro from 2010-2011 (they do: http://ststurbo.com/2010_2011_v6_camaro) - and it has a CARB EO# - then it will work on all V6 3.6VVT Optioned cars from 2010-2011.

STS can give you the specifics on what options they tested the kit on, and whether it will work on your vehicle - but I would call them up, worst that can happen is that they say "it wont work for you". They might have a cert for beyond 2011 and haven't posted it on their website yet (being a web developer myself I know that sometimes updates take time).

Call them up and see what they can do for you
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
I didn't see an EO # on the sts link. Is it still in the process?

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote