Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
What are these heat exchanging devices?

Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of creating a build plan with DMS, and was going to purchase a heat exchanger. While researching online, I noticed in essentially every picture I could find that my car's current setup seems to have one or two additional heat exchanging devices? Unless the pictures I am seeing online just don't have everything in view... Can ya'll fill me in real quick on what the middle and lower exchangers are for?

The rear-most is (I'm assuming) the radiator. The front-most (I'm assuming) is the stock heat exchanger. But that little one in the middle I'm not sure about...is it an aftermarket oil or trans fluid cooler? One of the really early "dual" heat exchangers (I read that some companies tried this instead of doing one big exchanger like most are doing now...for efficiency and ease of install purposes). And that lower very small one I have seen in a couple pictures, but have no idea what it is for because I don't see it in all pictures and haven't seen it included in any cooling diagrams thus far.

The first picture is the best view of all four, and the final picture shows that there is zero branding on the front of the two most-visible.

Any input is appreciated so I don't buy unnecessary parts or screw up something with my build..
Attached Images

Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
bottom is trans cooler, top is charger cooler, behind is condenser, radiator in back
Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Robmnrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrex View Post
bottom is trans cooler, top is charger cooler, behind is condenser, radiator in back
Ah okay, makes sense. Did all ZL1s come equipped as such? It kept messing with my mind that I wasn't seeing all 4 in pictures of other cars online. Likely just because people weren't specifically photographing in such a way that they were all plainly visible.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Yes, that is the o e m configuration
Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Robmnrd

Well alrighty. Very simple answer to my confusion lol.

Much appreciated!