Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #29
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I have not really noticed any lag other than if i floor it. Only takes a split second and shes gone. Hopefully ported throttle body will cure most of that. Anyways so far i have had nothing but very crisp tranny shifts in bumper to bumper or flat out. I have 1,200 miles on her and have driven about 50/50 in D & M w/wo traction / stabilitrak.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
BIGSWOLE

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS (L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Sounds like you need to take it back again... Each Gear in both D and M upshift and downshift can be adjusted. You should have zero lag and still drive smooth around town.

Before I was tuned I could feel and even more so "hear" the lag. It's totally gone now and I barely feel the shifts... In fact my downshifts are probably more firm than upshifts.

Sometimes the tranny work takes some adjusting if your tuner hasn't done a bunch of them. Normally they nail down a good tune and copy/paste it to the next one.
Sounds like you have a good tuner.Where did you go?
BIGSWOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #31
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I have not really noticed any lag other than if i floor it. Only takes a split second and shes gone. Hopefully ported throttle body will cure most of that. Anyways so far i have had nothing but very crisp tranny shifts in bumper to bumper or flat out. I have 1,200 miles on her and have driven about 50/50 in D & M w/wo traction / stabilitrak.
i dont think anything can help that. thats just the way autos are. if you are at cursing speed and you floor it will take a sec to downshift no matter what. now if you are in gear thats when the throttle body will help with throttle response.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #32
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The VMax CNC Spiral ported TB does a ton to improve the throttle response and driveability.
This mod help my lag.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
unBALAnced-10
The Bala Project

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS L99
What about using a Sprint Booster Power Converter to eliminate the lag? Anyone have any experience with those?
unBALAnced-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #34
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
What your talking about has driven me ape shit for a year and a half. I had it tuned out for a while but since I put the maggie on and had it dynotuned, my tranny has gone back to stock.

It almost feels like the tranny pauses and blows air like a compressoin brake, right?

I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Nah, I haven't done that yet, figured it wouldn't be necessary for the 2011, but I may have to give that a try.
It's not your problem in this case, but the 2011s are no different than the 2010s in that the computer will NOT table back up to high spark timing if you get bad gas or low octane. JFYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Would an intake and/or headers help at all?
Actually the opposite. Though it won't make it worse, you'll definitely notice it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No on intake and headers, but the tune part will fix you up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
Last night I was coming up to a red light, before coming to a complete stop the light turned green so I hit the throttle too fast. When it caught the gear It felt like someone slammed into me.
Damn. I haven't had that. I almost wish. lol At least I'd feel some good response instead of the silly putty hit I get now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
It's the AFM...

In a normal, auto car there's always that split second delay between the time you hit the gas and the time the powers arrives, because most auto cars go striaght to their highest gear under a light load and need to downshift when you get on the gas.

The AFM just adds one more step to the process of power delivery. In the L99, you have to wait not only for the downshift, but for the AFM to deactivate as well. Thus, lag.

I'd say tune out the AFM, or try driving around in "M" mode This will at least allow you to control your gearing, and eliminate the downshift lag...
Actually, my AFM has been tuned out. I still get this. My next mission is to get rid of it. Tune it out, I'm trying to find out how I can get the tranny tuned without messing up my current tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Can a tune be made specifically for "M" mode thus leaving "D" mode the way it came from the factory?
THIS would be great. I don't like the tap shifters. But the auto M mode could be the agressive shift I want.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by unBALAnced-10 View Post
What about using a Sprint Booster Power Converter to eliminate the lag? Anyone have any experience with those?
Uh........... NO........... That's not what's happening in this case.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #36
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
Last night I was coming up to a red light, before coming to a complete stop the light turned green so I hit the throttle too fast. When it caught the gear It felt like someone slammed into me.
I get that sort of thing fairly often on mine.. (not tuned) If I am at a light that turns green as I am about to stop, or when I am making a left turn across a road and have to pause before I accelerate again. It feels almost like the car is in neutral when I first get back on the gas then pops into gear.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #37
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
So, then, for instance, it would be possible to preserve AFM in D and lose it in M? Soft shifts in D hard shifts in M?

This would be ideal for a daily driver thats also fun every time the chance comes around
This would be ideal, but I don't think the engine computer (ECM) which controls AFM knows what mode, D or M, the transmission is in. I do know that AFM can be tuned out per gear. Like active in 5th and 6th only. So, the ECM does know what gear the car is in. Also, the TCM can be tuned to shift differently in D and M.

Maybe a pro will chime in.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
This would be ideal, but I don't think the engine computer (ECM) which controls AFM knows what mode, D or M, the transmission is in. I do know that AFM can be tuned out per gear. Like active in 5th and 6th only. So, the ECM does know what gear the car is in. Also, the TCM can be tuned to shift differently in D and M.

Maybe a pro will chime in.
I pretty sure someone had posted that you could in fact have separate tunes for D vs M including DoD (afm).
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
I have a G8 Gt with the afm and automatic transmission. I had a lag due to the Torque Management settings. It really sucked, so I know exactly what you are talking about. You press the accelerator, and it takes like 3-4 secs before the car decided to move. I bought a tuner( i bought superchips) and it allows me to control how much torque management is used. I put it on superchips setting which is 0% TM and its all good. No lag at all. That would be one of the less complicated, and inexpensive ways to go, just get a tune and turn the Torque Management down.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Agreed, it is better in "S" mode but not completely gone.
Same here. Better in Sport but still there.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #41
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
Ted Jannetty tuned out most of the TQM in my car. It still has some lag but no were near what it was stock.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #42
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I get that sort of thing fairly often on mine.. (not tuned) If I am at a light that turns green as I am about to stop, or when I am making a left turn across a road and have to pause before I accelerate again. It feels almost like the car is in neutral when I first get back on the gas then pops into gear.
This.... Is this normal, I have this happening to me all the time.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote