Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #57
cfosceola

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
I finally installed the cam1 kit. I thought I would not like it since the pac kit had the knobs at bottom and looked kind of stock. But, I actually like it better, to me looks cleaner, not so overdone, and the stereo looks really good when the screen edge blends in with the gloss black on top. I can also see the gauge pack perfect now and like the dual usbs right there under stereo. The maestro kit was simple, the only issue was took me awhile to get all those harnesses in there to fit stereo in. I did buy a large stereo the ddx 9905s, if was a media only 1/2 deep stereo would been super simple to install. I have a couple minor adjustments, the right side the stereo is like 1/10th inch out and left is like 1/20th of inch out, simple loosen screws and adjust and done. Maestro worked perfect right when I turned it on, steering wheel controls worked perfect, color of kits buttons match the OEM aqua color perfectly. I modified the lower area of kit where the 2 screws hold it in and cutout the extra plastic except the area that holds the screws. Can remove center cover, then take out cam1 kit in seconds now.
Do you happen to have pictures on what you modified in the last sentence?
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #58
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfosceola View Post
Do you happen to have pictures on what you modified in the last sentence?
Depends how you cut the plastic on car in lower area. My car was modified and the plastic was cut and all the extra plastic behind radio was removed for new stereo instal before I bought the car. I seen a YouTube video on the Cam1 and the installer cut each corner of the kit bottom, for same reason, to remove easier. I tried that, but was hanging on the cars plastic. So I cut all off(there's a lip on bottom of kit, with the 2 screw holes, each screw hole has a square flat area around it) I left that square around each screw and removed all the plastic up to about a 1/8 inch on rest of that area. I have the gauges so is hidden behind, so can't see it was cut. If no gauge I am not sure if it would show or not. So instead of cutting on the car more, I just cut the kit. Now I can pull off the bezel around shifter with the gauges, unplug it. Then just 2 screws and Cam1 kit comes right out, no hanging on anything and really easy to remove, I could probably have the radio out in under 3 minutes and that's removing center console cover, kit and radio and being careful.
Attached Images

2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.

Last edited by rotwiler; 10-26-2019 at 06:26 PM.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:44 AM   #59
cfosceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
Depends how you cut the plastic on car in lower area. My car was modified and the plastic was cut and all the extra plastic behind radio was removed for new stereo instal before I bought the car. I seen a YouTube video on the Cam1 and the installer cut each corner of the kit bottom, for same reason, to remove easier. I tried that, but was hanging on the cars plastic. So I cut all off(there's a lip on bottom of kit, with the 2 screw holes, each screw hole has a square flat area around it) I left that square around each screw and removed all the plastic up to about a 1/8 inch on rest of that area. I have the gauges so is hidden behind, so can't see it was cut. If no gauge I am not sure if it would show or not. So instead of cutting on the car more, I just cut the kit. Now I can pull off the bezel around shifter with the gauges, unplug it. Then just 2 screws and Cam1 kit comes right out, no hanging on anything and really easy to remove, I could probably have the radio out in under 3 minutes and that's removing center console cover, kit and radio and being careful.
Thank you,
Old 10-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #60
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I'm really liking this kit more than the PAC. I just need to decide what radio I want. Anyone have any recommendations? I replaced my speakers and factory amp already.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #61
cfosceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I'm really liking this kit more than the PAC. I just need to decide what radio I want. Anyone have any recommendations? I replaced my speakers and factory amp already.
You have to get one that is compatible with the kit. If you go on crutchfield, they have it as a search option
Old 10-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #62
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
You have to get one that is compatible with the kit. If you go on crutchfield, they have it as a search option
Excellent, thank you for that info!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #63
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I decided I'm going this route with the iDatalink Kit and the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX headunit mainly because it supports CarPlay wirelessly. I do have a question if anyone can answer... I bought the Pioneer from Best Buy and they mention it needs some sort of radio antenna adaptor. Is this true? I checked around and I can't seem to find any info if I'll need the antenna adaptor for the install.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:27 AM   #64
cfosceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
I decided I'm going this route with the iDatalink Kit and the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX headunit mainly because it supports CarPlay wirelessly. I do have a question if anyone can answer... I bought the Pioneer from Best Buy and they mention it needs some sort of radio antenna adaptor. Is this true? I checked around and I can't seem to find any info if I'll need the antenna adaptor for the install.
Yes it is true. Why didn't they show/offer it to you? Crurchfield has it and the part number is Item # 12040EU55 by metra
Old 12-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #65
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Yes it is true. Why didn't they show/offer it to you? Crurchfield has it and the part number is Item # 12040EU55 by metra
I just go with crutchfield for everything now. They have kits and I actually had issues with the idatalink and they sent a new piece right out. There customer service is one of the few places anymore that is top notch. All of these questions of stereos, kits and such are all solved by speaking with them.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #66
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
They have great stereos now that are almost half the depth so you don’t run into all the wiring issues of the past(cramming wires into crevices and cutting plastic out). Unless your dead set on cd/dvd, I believe it’s the way to go. No one uses cd’s anymore and not sure if I’d go to my Camaro to watch a dvd. But that’s me.
Attached Images

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 12-18-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Adding picture
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #67
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
^^^What he said. I’ve had my aftermarket radio for a couple of years now and I’ve never used the CD/DVD and it would have been a lot easier instal with the extra room.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #68
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

kinda dumb question: How would I know if my SS has a factory installed amp? The door speaker grills say Boston Acoustic.... I'm asking because I'm getting everything lined up for when all my goodies arrive on Friday. I haven't played with car stereos in over 30 years but I'm sure I can handle the install.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #69
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotls1 View Post
They have great stereos now that are almost half the depth so you don’t run into all the wiring issues of the past(cramming wires into crevices and cutting plastic out). Unless your dead set on cd/dvd, I believe it’s the way to go. No one uses cd’s anymore and not sure if I’d go to my Camaro to watch a dvd. But that’s me.
Indeed true! I still use a cd every now and then. Lmao. But I have been moving towards streaming my music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
kinda dumb question: How would I know if my SS has a factory installed amp? The door speaker grills say Boston Acoustic.... I'm asking because I'm getting everything lined up for when all my goodies arrive on Friday. I haven't played with car stereos in over 30 years but I'm sure I can handle the install.
If it has the Boston Acoustic system it has a factory amplifier. It is in the trunk, behind the driverside tail light.

More to come.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #70
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Quote:

If it has the Boston Acoustic system it has a factory amplifier. It is in the trunk, behind the driverside tail light.
Thanks for the info. I will check out the trunk area tomorrow just to be sure. On a side note. I checked around my area and I found a shop that says they have installed several of these units in our cars. They quoted me $250 labor to do the whole install with me providing all the goods.

Now I'm wondering if I should try the instal myself or pay $250 and not worry about it.