Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
muffins4all

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
opinions on the mylink navigation?

I didn't post this in the technical forums because those sub forums are dead.
Just looking for opinions.

My 2015 has mylink but doesn't have nav and I'm thinking about upgrading, anyone around here have the chevy mylink navigation? do you like it?

I was thinking about going with scosche but it doesn't seem like they have anything for the 2015.
muffins4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
My 2013 also doesn't have NAV except through Onstar, same as my wife's CUV. Didn't want to keep OnStar, so I took the simple way, bought a Gremlin with free life time updates. One time cost & works great in all our vehicles. Getting ready to upgrade the head unit in my Corvette, between our phone apps and the Gremlin, ,not looking for one with NAV as a result.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins4all View Post

My 2015 has mylink but doesn't have nav and I'm thinking about upgrading, anyone around here have the chevy mylink navigation? do you like it?

I was thinking about going with scosche but it doesn't seem like they have anything for the 2015.
I did about a 6 second look and there were five people looking at this sub forum even at this time of the night on a Sunday.

So, the thread has been moved to the proper sub forum.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 AM   #4
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

My car came with navigation and I like it. It sucks you have to pay for updated maps. I rarely use it, however, it has never let me down.
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
muffins4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
My car came with navigation and I like it. It sucks you have to pay for updated maps. I rarely use it, however, it has never let me down.
Have you been quoted on the updated maps? How often do you think it would be necessary to update?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I have not updated it yet. Have not needed to yet. I think it was either $99 or $149
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:

There is no such thing. This isn't a walk into your dealership and pay them $100 to unlock the brain. This is buy a used one for $300-400, pay $500 for someone to hack it to unlock so it doesn't brick on you since GM thinks its stolen, then pay someone to install a HU that is worth $100 based on the POS amp, controls and distortion. For years people have believed this is some sort of appropriate path to obtain navigation, yet it continues to be the absolute worst.

If you want Navigation, buy a Pioneer or Kenwood with Navigation and PAC dash kit. Dealers run specials all the time and this path is in fact cheaper than OEM for the highest sound quality, features and aesthetics physically available on the market under $1,000.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I went with stock Mylink/Nav in a 2010, no problems.
I would have liked to have had a better head unit
but i find they are having problems left and right with the kits.
Someone on this forum just posted up issues.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post

Generally speaking, all products have problems. The PAC kit has far less than most and experienced installers aren't having issues.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
muffins4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Was it just plug and play? Or did you have to take it to the dealership to program it or something?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I installed a MyLink with nav in my 2011 and I have never had an issue with it. I replaced all the speakers and amps and added a sound processor.
It sounds exactly the way I want it to. I am quite happy with it. Yes it was expensive but I wanted the oem look. I have a kenwood in my other car and I think it sounds just as good if not better. To be fair though the Kenwood does not have a sound processor.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I just got from a Vendor (Gen 5 DIY) He has Radio's and Face Plates You have to install a couple of wires, but i did it no problem. Just followed the instructions.

Plug and play, Maybe, but it does keep from cutting up your wiring.

Shout out to Snoman.

if you want a really clean sounding system, listen to him
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
rc610

Drives: 2020 2SS SGM - Stock for now
my 13 SS has the factory Nav. I like it. it's pretty convenient as you can basically have the car enter nav commands through voice activation instead of trying to type while driving (it actually wont let you type while moving). The only downside is i run into some areas every now and then where new highways or roads have been added and as far as I can tell there's not any support as far as updates...I guess all the updates are focused on the 6th gens.
rc610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:03 AM   #14
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I have the factory Nav unit in my 2013. There has been only one update (released last year at a cost of $200 I believe). It works fairly well and I like how it's integrated into the DIC and HUD. But I will personally not pay for factory Nav on another car. I much prefer my Garmin. It has more features (such as traffic updates) and has unlimited updates (you need at least one a year, I typically update twice). My latest Garmin also uses voice commands.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote