Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Any insight on the ZL1addons diffuser belly pan?

I've been thinking about getting the diffuser belly pan. I was curious if anyone on here had any insight on it w/ their Z. I've got an email out to them asking the weight, but it seems like it may actually help a bit just on gas mileage (and maybe times) by streamlining the under car airflow. Or am I mistaken? It kind of looks like it might be a rattle waiting to happen though...

This is the belly pan: https://zl1addons.com/products/camar...=8693461450815

Last edited by HoodCheck; 11-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I have been thinking of this as well, what can it hurt right? Also hopping others that have used one will chime in.

They have 18% off everything in there store right now with a promo code on there Facebook page
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
I have been thinking of this as well, what can it hurt right? Also hopping others that have used one will chime in.

They have 18% off everything in there store right now with a promo code on there Facebook page

Yea; raping on shipping though...
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Yea; raping on shipping though...
So for powdercoat and shipping it's $302... doubtful the MPG savings you desire will break even anytime soon at $302 price point, if at all

For it to be truly effective the front of the diffuser would need sealed off at the front of itself. It's still catching air, IMO
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 11-20-2019 at 11:03 AM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Would love to have one for my SS.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
So for powdercoat and shipping it's $302... doubtful the MPG savings you desire will break even anytime soon $302 price point, if at all

For it to be truly effective the front of the diffuser would need sealed off at the front of itself. It's still catching air, IMO
Not necessarily that I desire better mileage; just seems logical better airflow could have that as a side effect, as well as less drag at higher speeds. It seems to me the design probably would catch a little bit of air, but not as much as the diffuser. I had the same thought initially. I'll probably skip it for now.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
I have one on my car. Bought the car with it already installed.

IMO, it probably works to some tiny degree to stream line air flow with the rear bumper but it's still catching air. The design/build is a little flimsy. I wouldn't spend the money on it to install on the car after seeing it. I have the ZL1 add-ons front splitter that seals up the front as well. You might want to look into buying that instead, or possibly buy together to stream line front and rear as JON mentioned.

The ZL1 add-ons front splitter extension looks awesome too. Build quality is very good, it's a solid piece.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneRoss View Post
I have one on my car. Bought the car with it already installed.

IMO, it probably works to some tiny degree to stream line air flow with the rear bumper but it's still catching air. The design/build is a little flimsy. I wouldn't spend the money on it to install on the car after seeing it. I have the ZL1 add-ons front splitter that seals up the front as well. You might want to look into buying that instead, or possibly buy together to stream line front and rear as JON mentioned.

The ZL1 add-ons front splitter extension looks awesome too. Build quality is very good, it's a solid piece.

Plan is definitely to get the splitter extension. I got under my car to figure out whether the belly pan would be of use. From what I can tell from looking at the installation video and comparing it in real life to where it bolts up, the rear axles, differential, and exhaust pipes should serve to block off much of the air it would otherwise catch due to the open sides it has, but I agree, some of it is bound to still go in. It won't be nearly as much as what gets caught by the diffuser itself, however, what it does catch, it may not distribute that air out of the exhaust holes as efficiently either (just guessing there). I found a wind tunnel test on the 5th gen (it was a ZL1 though) that showed a view of the bottom airflow as well, and it was extremely minimal on the ZL1; for the Z28, I imagine its probably even less due to the lower stance. With as little as it was, I can't see this being of use unless I'm pulling triple digits frequently, which I don't.
I'm skipping it. I don't want to pay over 250 bucks for something that isn't going to be of much use until I'm out of other things to do to her lol.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Good move. Put that towards that front splitter extension. Awesome piece. Very strong and sturdy and you can see it works well when looking at it after its installed. It lines up perfectly with the front flare extensions and makes the car look even more badass.

Z/28 aero is pretty good in stock form, they did a lot of work on it. I think if it was necessary they would have added it from the factory.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote