Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
pecothern

Drives: 2013 SS VERT
DRL/Foglight Puzzle. Rebuilt 2013/14 car SS vert

Hey guys I've got a puzzle for you. Last week I bought a Red convertible 2013 SS wheels with a rebuilt/salvage title. the VIN decoder says its an SS2 Which means I believe it had HID lights and LED tail lights at one time. The reason the car was salvage is it was stolen and stripped of engine and everything that could be taken fom the car. It was missing for 11 months. The person that put it back together put a 2014 front cap with halogen headlights and projector foglights. The rear has halogen tail lights and get this, two third brakelights one on the trunk ..2014?? and one on the body under the backglass 2013?? The suede dash, instrumentation and steering wheel and column is from a ZL1 2014 with all the ZL1 emblems. The headlight switch has a foglight button and there is a foglight symbol that lights up on the dash when you push the button but the foglights do not come on. The Headlights seem to stay on all the time. There are bulbs in the foglights. Maybe im missing a relay? This is a beautiful car and I got a great deal on it. I'm pretty good with electrical and mechanical things. I'd like to go back with the HIDs one day with the halos. For now I'd like to see the foglights work and is it normal for the Halogen lights to be DRLs? 2013 wiring harness I guess with 2014 dash and halogen lights. Please point me in the right direction anyone?
Attached Images

pecothern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
I'd go visit the DIY, Audio and Lighting forums where they have diagrams of all this stuff and gurus to assist.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Wow! They piecemealed that thing! I'd like to see more pictures when you have a chance.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
A 2SS did not automatically come with HIDs and LED taillights. Those were part of the RS package. There is a sticker on the floor of the trunk (left side) with the RPO codes. RS is indicated by WRS.

The extra brake light was included with some spoilers, as the thought was they blocked the view of the one by the glass.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 10-31-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added brake light
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
pecothern

Thanks CamaroFred, i've looked at the RPO codes I don't see WRS in them. I was fooled also because it has the HUD that it was an RS but that must have been part of the ZL1 dash they put into the car. Since I have a foglight switch I must be missing a relay or something. BTW the RPO codes are at this google drive link if your interested and a lot more photos as well if you interested flipstyledsm22 https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jA?usp=sharing
Old 10-31-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecothern View Post
Thanks CamaroFred, i've looked at the RPO codes I don't see WRS in them. I was fooled also because it has the HUD that it was an RS but that must have been part of the ZL1 dash they put into the car. Since I have a foglight switch I must be missing a relay or something. BTW the RPO codes are at this google drive link if your interested and a lot more photos as well if you interested flipstyledsm22 https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jA?usp=sharing
HUD is on all 2LT/2SS. All the interior upgrades are 2LT/2SS.
RS is exterior appearance.

Not sure what's with the fogs. Your owner's manual lists all the relays and fuses. MANUALS & HOW-TO VIDEOS
Old 10-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
pecothern

Thanks CamaroFred, I sure do enjoy the radio and the 4 pack guages are cool. I have more information on the non fuctioning fog lights. I check the fuse #50 and it is good. I had my daughter turn the lights on and off and I hear a click in the fusebox area. I unplugged every relay and the click kept happening like it is inside the box somewhere. The bulbs are good and the ground seems good to the foglights, just no positive feed. the low beams do stay on as DRLs I guess. all the other lights go on and off when I shine a bright light on the sensor on the dash. the foglight has a purple and black wire going to each bulb. Black seems to be ground.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
A 13 has the Drls as DRLS...they do not stay on all the time unless cross wired with the side markers up front and theres a simple T-Tap you can get from DIYgen5 or gen5diy what ever. Just because you have a switch does not mean they are to be fogs if it has the symbol on it, I use LEDs and they kick the halogens but with less power, BTW if you had a 13 with 13 halos the side effect of the cross wiring would be to make the halos stay on all the time like a 14 uses for DRLS.....If not equipped which most likely not with fog lamps they are not and wont be FOGS.... most don't have that option and with your bastardized car....... now how a halogen bulb non rs works for DRLs.....well its a 13 with a 14 front.....and 14 hood and apparently a 14 rear, its....MER....?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Tabes

Drives: 2013 2SS camaro convertible L99
My 2013 2ss vert used the fog lights as DRL. The fog lights would shut off when the headlights were on. I bought an adaptor off Amazon so they could stay on all time.
Tabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
pecothern

Ok Thank you everyone for the information so far. I'm learning a lot. Let me verify a few things please. I've learned my car is not and never was an RS. Again it is a 2013 SS2 with a 2014 front cap and appears to have 2014 ZL1 dash and light switches. It was rebuilt with 2014 parts after being stolen and stripped of everything that could be unbolted.

2013 non RS has halogen headlights with one bulb for both bright and low beams and uses lights in the bumper as DRLs, probably has no foglight button in center of lightswitch?

2014 non RS has halogen headlights with seperate low and high beam bulbs. it uses the low beams as DRLs and projection type fog lamps work via a button in the center of the headlight switch that come on only during headlight or parking lights turned on

Am I right so far?

My foglight button turns on a light on the dash and I hear a click near the fusebox but my foglights don't come on. Am I probably missing a harness or is maybe something unplugged?. I may have to take the front fascia off to get a good look....
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecothern View Post
Ok Thank you everyone for the information so far. I'm learning a lot. Let me verify a few things please. I've learned my car is not and never was an RS. Again it is a 2013 SS2 with a 2014 front cap and appears to have 2014 ZL1 dash and light switches. It was rebuilt with 2014 parts after being stolen and stripped of everything that could be unbolted.

2013 non RS has halogen headlights with one bulb for both bright and low beams and uses lights in the bumper as DRLs, probably has no foglight button in center of lightswitch?

2014 non RS has halogen headlights with seperate low and high beam bulbs. it uses the low beams as DRLs and projection type fog lamps work via a button in the center of the headlight switch that come on only during headlight or parking lights turned on

Am I right so far?

My foglight button turns on a light on the dash and I hear a click near the fusebox but my foglights don't come on. Am I probably missing a harness or is maybe something unplugged?. I may have to take the front fascia off to get a good look....
Almost right. The 10-13 non-RS LTs and SSs have fog lights and use the high beam headlights on a lowered voltage as DRLs.
On the RS the fog lights are replaced with DRLs. The HIDs are considered better in fog than independent fog lights.

I think the 14-15 non-RS work the same way with fogs and headlights. But, the RS keeps the fogs and uses the halos as DRLs (they are brighter than the 10-13s).

So either way, you should have fog lights.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
pecothern

I was looking this morning under the hood. I found something that looks like an added wiring harness like the one I've seen to add foglights to the earlier cars with no foglights or a harness that suppose to cut the foglights on with the parking lights. Power is hooked to the big stud on the fusebox and orange wire runs down to a fuse then to a relay. Im gonna untape everything and try to bypass the relay and see what happens and follow all the wires back to origination point. I guess I'm gonna have to pull the front bumper off this weekend to chase it all down. I just don't know why someone would add a harness for foglights when this car came with them factory and has a foglight switch in the car and I hear a relay ticking on and off when I cycle it. BTW I believe my low beams are on for DRLS they seem full brightness. CamaroFred did you say maybe the Highbeams are suppose to be DRL.? In my daughters Honda the highbeams are hooked in series for DRL and burn at half brightness.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
OKCINFERNO
Hangin' Out

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The White SS emblems indicate it was not an RS,the RS has RED Emblems.
OKCINFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
pecothern

Ok great thanks for that OKCinferno that makes sense.

Tags
drl foglight