Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #85
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I think we may be saying the same thing in different ways.
We are
Quote:
As for some of the statistics, there’s so many I could quote but here’s a few good ones:
78% of households are living paycheck to paycheck
89% of people with credit cards do not pay them off every month
57% of people die without a will
42% of people who paid cash at fast food restaurants spent less than those who used credit.
Vending machine spending increased 178% with the addition of card readers.
100% of houses that are foreclosed on have a mortgage
I meant links to the stats or sources of the information . When searching for stuff like this, there's a ton of blogs, opinion pieces, references to "a study" but not the actual study, etc. Sharing the sources directly can help everyone get on the same page of the discussion.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #86
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Secondly, be careful with a partner. This isn’t a morality statement, but a financial statement. You two may be madly in love and will never split because you both love each other which is very similar to being married. However, legally speaking, neither one of you has any protection from the other in the event that one of you would pack up leave and drain the bank account on the way out the door and can legally get away with it. Legally speaking the government sees you as roommates unless you’re married. If you’re married there’s many laws that vary by state protecting the spouse from the other spouse doing just that. Again, not a moral judgement, just a friendly disclaimer for those who had no idea that could happen.
Some states recognize common law marriage, all the protections without the stupid piece of paper. Texas is one of them.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #87
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
I meant links to the stats or sources of the information . When searching for stuff like this, there's a ton of blogs, opinion pieces, references to "a study" but not the actual study, etc. Sharing the sources directly can help everyone get on the same page of the discussion.
Not sure if forum rules on non car stuff, but I PM'ed you where most of my info comes from.

There's some really good information out there, but ultimately my point is still, debt isn't something good to have. Yes, you can purchase things like houses with debt, but there's always risk. It's just a matter of how much risk a person is willing to take on. Take on too much risk and you can sink your ship in a hurry.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #88
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
PLEASE DO NOT CASH OUT YOUR 401k! You can do a direct transfer and roll it into a back door Roth, but please do not cash it out! If you cash it out you’ll be hit with a tax penalty of your bracket PLUS a 10% penalty. If you do a direct transfer you will be taxed, but you will not have the penalty.
I said that in essence, I will be cashing it out. The 401(k) will cease to exist and I will pay taxes on the whole thing, I just won’t pay the 10% penalty for being too young.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #89
pyroguy

Ah ha. I missed the in essence part.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #90
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Just a general discussion because I know there's plenty of opinions and there's plenty of rampant debt right now, keep it respectful, but IMO there is no such thing as a good debt. What do you think?
Quote:
Not sure if forum rules on non car stuff, but I PM'ed you where most of my info comes from.

There's some really good information out there, but ultimately my point is still, debt isn't something good to have. Yes, you can purchase things like houses with debt, but there's always risk. It's just a matter of how much risk a person is willing to take on. Take on too much risk and you can sink your ship in a hurry.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it! Nice to see that a good faith discussion can result in considering new opinions .
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #91
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Debt is an awesome thing to have IF Congress wipes it out. Well, maybe for the person with the debt, not the taxpayers.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #92
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at it! Nice to see that a good faith discussion can result in considering new opinions .
Agreed! In a world full of division and inability to respectfully discuss differing opinions, I'm glad this thread hasn't turned ugly.

Last edited by pyroguy; 03-15-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #93
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Debt is an awesome thing to have IF Congress wipes it out. Well, maybe for the person with the debt, not the taxpayers.
Congress can't "wipe out" debt. The government doesn't actually produce anything that creates an income so it cannot wipe out debt. What happens is that the debt is redistributed to everyone instead of the people who signed up for and agreed to pay the debt. If you can't pay for your debt don't take it out.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #94
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Congress can't "wipe out" debt. The government doesn't actually produce anything that creates an income so it cannot wipe out debt. What happens is that the debt is redistributed to everyone instead of the people who signed up for and agreed to pay the debt. If you can't pay for your debt don't take it out.

That's why I included the 2nd sentence.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #95
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

Not a problem... that's what this Off Topic section is for.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #96
pyroguy

Quote:
That's why I included the 2nd sentence.
I’m guessing you have some you hope you have “wiped out” though, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Not a problem... that's what this Off Topic section is for.
Good deal!

There’s a variety of places to get information, but the most thorough and reliably accurate is through www.daveramsey.com. He’s very diligent in his research and at times like his millionaire study done a year or two ago, was verified through a third party so that it wouldn’t seem as though his findings went along with his way of thinking for purely a marketing thing. Besides his steps are simple enough that anyone can follow them if they put their mind to it and control their spending, not some wild crazy jump through hoops sort of way to get their finances under control.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #97
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

I have zero debt and zero taxable income. You can pay the redistribution costs. I'm done.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #98
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
I have zero debt and zero taxable income. You can pay the redistribution costs. I'm done.
You still always pay Uncle Sam. But congrats on being elite.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote