Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Trunk opens randomly

So i go outside after I havent driven the camaro for a few days and my trunk will be popped open, like someone hit the button on the key to open it, but I know the key hasnt been touched since I parked it. Anyone having this same problem? I dont want to have to take it in for a check.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
trunk monkey has been moonlighting and forgetting to lock up
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
I know there have been several times when I went to hit the unlock button on the key fob that I also hit the trunk release button as well and didn't notice until I was driving. Perhaps you have the same issue when locking it?
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
bballstd426

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/Red
I have had same problem i think maybe when im getting out i accidently hit the trunk open button i dont know
bballstd426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
the key fob design SUCKS!

you can't put it in your pocket without unlocking your doors or opening the trunk...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
the key fob design SUCKS!

you can't put it in your pocket without unlocking your doors or opening the trunk...
No the key fob will sit on my table next to my bed and not be touched, and I will go outside and the trunk will be opened.
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Halloween ghosts are doing it, lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroOutlaw View Post
No the key fob will sit on my table next to my bed and not be touched, and I will go outside and the trunk will be opened.
there may have been a TSB released on this... you should do a search on here

but seriously... i let it hang on the outside of my pocket with the rest of my keys inside my pocket
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
So i go outside after I havent driven the camaro for a few days and my trunk will be popped open, like someone hit the button on the key to open it, but I know the key hasnt been touched since I parked it. Anyone having this same problem? I dont want to have to take it in for a check.
ya got a 'ghost" in your camaro!..did somebody 'croak" in it before you bought it?...better check with oshawa!..just kidding!..i get that once in awhile,but i noticed that i was "in range" of the car with the remote when it happened,so i deduced i accidentely "bumped" the trunk opener while the remote was still in my pocket!,,i believe that's it!..the remote is very sensitive i found out!..batteries are still fresh!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
spooky!..still, somehow i believe you are still brushing the trunk opener on the bottom of the fob!..this has happened to me as previously mentioned!..sometimes just picking it up will actuate that part of the fob!.extremely sensitive! i have determined!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
Mine has also done the same thing before, always thought I might of bumped the button but with all the other wonderful problems my pos has had theres no telling!
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
The first few months I owned my car this problem was driving me crazy. Last thing I wanted was a snake to crawl in to my car. I never did narrow down exactly what the problem was, but here is what I have found.

If you use your trunk then expect to find the trunk popped open in the next couple of days. The less I use the trunk the less the issue occures.

Next I noticed that my other keys on my key ring when slide to the front of the fob would come in direct contact with the center button or the trunk button on my fob (4 button - no auto start). I don't put my keys in my pockets anymore and when placing my keys on a table I always have the fob buttons facing up.

I haven't had the issue for about 4 months now. I now have a new habit of checking this every time I walk up to my car now.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
johnpbike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
2010CO - I'm having the same issue. Can't completely rule out accidental contact with the key fob as the cause, but how can you possibly rule that out? Wish I could come up with a simple device that would pinpoint the exact time the trunk lid opened, then it might be easier to narrow down the cause. BTW - it seems to me it takes a lot of pressure to open the trunklid, therefore it's rather unlikely accidental pressure on the key fob is causing the problem.
johnpbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
There was a TSB or perhaps two related to the trunk latch. Here are the details from one of them:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : CAMARO Year : 2010
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : PIC-5209 Date of Bulletin : AUG 01, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10032385
Component : LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:TRUNK LID:LOCK

You probably want to take it to the dealer and have them check it against any TSBs.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote