Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
How many track days do your rotors last?

I'm thinking of upgrading my G8 GT to Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes. How many HPDE/track days before y'all need to replace rotors? With my G8 brakes my rotors are cracked after two track days, I don't want to upgrade if I'd still be changing rotors after every track weekend.
Thanks
Brad02SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
carrs_crew
Livin the Dream

Drives: sold
I think tracy said the stock are good just upgrade the pads, lines, and fluid. you can get stock rotors with less than 500 miles from slp on ebay for 30 a pair plus shipping. I was thinking of stocking up once my grantelli are done. I am looking for a set of cts-v front calipers with the six pistons for an upgrade once I put some time on the stock caliper with carbotech pads.
carrs_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02SS View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my G8 GT to Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes. How many HPDE/track days before y'all need to replace rotors? With my G8 brakes my rotors are cracked after two track days, I don't want to upgrade if I'd still be changing rotors after every track weekend.
Thanks
Your G8 GT is on the OE calipers?
The rotors that are cracking are OE?
What pads are you running?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Brad02SS

I have stock G8 GT calipers with Carbotech XP12 pads (track days only) on DBA 4000 slotted rotors. They worked great(no fade with ATE fluid) but cracked around the hat by the end of day 2, as well as some small cracks on the rotor surface as well.
I'm thinking of upgrading to Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes but don't want to spend the money if I'd still be replacing rotors anyway. Figured I would come here and ask the Camaro owners about how your brakes hold up.
By the way, Pete, the car is on XA's, Pedders bushings, sway bars and has the strut tower brace. Thanks to all that I'm hanging with Z06's, GTR's and 911's in the turns. The brakes are the weak point, and of course I could always use more power but I need to make sure I can stop it first.
Here's a few vids and a pic of my molten brakes from my first track day, the orange Z06 is a track regular, has about 600hp, Willwood brakes, sticky NT1 tires, and who knows what else.
(sorry, may have some language, this was HPDE1 with an instructor in the car)-

Last edited by Brad02SS; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
JusticePete

Awesome videos. For your style of driving you want to go to the CTS-V six pot fronts with SS or CTS-V rear four pots (The SS and CTS-V Rear Calipers are the same). The ZL1 front caliper and the CTS-V are the same. The ZL1 logo comes with a premium price tag. I like the idea of a G8 GT-V.
You'll find a lot of the information you require here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...brakes+pedders

I am trying to remember, because I can't find my notes, what is different on the rear SS / CTS-V. I know it has to do with caliper / rotor offset and which rotor worked out for the G8.

Cobalt Friction are my pads of choice so you are good there. Depending on your budget, the ZL1 front two piece rotor is awesome. Long story short, you should be about 1 second faster out of the box with the new brakes. They make a HUGE difference.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Brad02SS

Thanks. The CTS-V or ZL1 brakes would be awesome and I've seen detailed instructions on the swap and I'm up for it.
A difference to note is the CTS-V uses an electronic parking brake while the SS sticks with the manual. Someone does make parts to retain the G8's mechanical parking brake with CTS-V rear calipers.
My main concern is rotor durability. I don't want to swap to more expensive brakes and end up having to buy new more expensive rotors after a track weekend. Will the CTS-V or ZL1 rotors last a few track weekends?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02SS View Post
Thanks. The CTS-V or ZL1 brakes would be awesome and I've seen detailed instructions on the swap and I'm up for it.
A difference to note is the CTS-V uses an electronic parking brake while the SS sticks with the manual. Someone does make parts to retain the G8's mechanical parking brake with CTS-V rear calipers.
My main concern is rotor durability. I don't want to swap to more expensive brakes and end up having to buy new more expensive rotors after a track weekend. Will the CTS-V or ZL1 rotors last a few track weekends?
We ran the OUSCI events and our testing laps on only two sets of pads and rotors per car. That covers a lot of use. i.e. Bruce Raymond put over 100 hot laps on his Raymond's Performance Camaro in one day at Putnam Park. We ran the CTS-V OEM dual cast rotors on Bruce's Camaro.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
Racing Brake has their rotors out too. Will see how the ZL1 rotors do first this year but they definitely have some weight to them.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...1-F-p/2160.htm
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
And I would look into some brake ducts to maximize cooling.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Brad02SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Racing Brake has their rotors out too. Will see how the ZL1 rotors do first this year but they definitely have some weight to them.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...1-F-p/2160.htm
Nice but way over budget.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
JusticePete

That is the idea behind the Brembo dual cast rotors. The hat is cast aluminum and the ring whatever iron blend. The aluminum hat cast portion saves weight similar to w true two peice, but at a much lower cost.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Brake upgrades will definitely make you faster around the track. If you're looking to simply eliminate failures and pick up a little better times, then the above suggestions are all good.

Now if you want to run with the big dogs ...... it gets expensive but worth it. My instructor raves about my brakes every time we go to the track. Of all of my upgrades, I like this one the best.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Completely depends......

Depends on the rotor you have on the car, the pad compound, pad manufacturer, cooling, track....and driver.

My suggestion to you, bring spares and keep notes. Every track is going to be different and if you are just starting out, you will notice some parts may last longer, or not as you become a quicker driver.

This is what I have seen over the years......

Beginning drivers that drag their foot on the brake, thinking that they are being easy on parts are actually causing more heat build up. Not only do the rotors wear quicker but so do pads. Those that hammer on the brakes for a short time, actually tend to have longer part life (late brakers).

There is a lot of difference in pads as well, even within 'track pads' so try a few different sets. You'll be surprised at how much longer certain pads will last given your driving style. We switched over to Cobalt pads years ago because of how nice they were to the rotors, and what we could see for pad life on track.

Brake ducts and temperature...now this can get in a bit more technical but you can use temp guns, and rotor paint as well as caliper stick on tape to see what you are running for temps. This can also help you figure out if you have to much cooling, not enough, if the calipers are to hot....

In some cases a pad change maybe all that is needed.....for others possibly a complete change of the brake system. Don't always think that a BBK is the answer all of the time.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote