Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #351
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
It’s situations like this that made me do mods while the 5th gen was still ‘hot’. I bought my car in ‘14 and was very concerned this might happen (having lived through previous gen 1 scarcity). I decided to mod a couple of months after I bought the car, and I’m glad I did.

Business is business and profits are king - Supply and demand. If I were a 6th gen owner and planned to mod, I’d be stocking up or, start modding while the 6th gen is still viable.

FWIW, I wanted a ‘spare’ unit from Hurst. I, however, do understand the business reasons since they were ‘bought out’. Sucks, but the way it is. 5th gen is not as relevant - which is why I stocked up on a few hard to get items...

-Don
How is the 5th gen not relavant? There are a half a million out there. Because they are not making the conp stick, has nothing to do with genration relevancy. This is a niche item for a small group of buyers. Manufactures are still producing as many parts for the 5th aa they are the 6th, and will most likely make more margin on the 5th.
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #352
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Vendors, business, may deem it not relevant due to demand of aftermarket parts.

Don’t kill the messenger.

A business will decide if making parts is viable. Just as Hurst has decided NOT to do so, as making the part is not profitable — right now the 6th gen is relavant as it’s still in production. Thus a business will try to strike while the iron is still hot and demand is probably going to be higher.

If the 5th gen was still in production then it would be different. Relavant as in making parts for an out of production car. Basically when these were made, the iron was still ‘hot’ as the car was still in production. They still had about 3 years where these could be sold.

Relavant— how many car mags are taking about modding the 5th gen? How about the 6th gen?

Those are what help sell aftermarket parts. Have you noticed some of the long time sponsors have not re-upped their sponsorship (ADM comes to mind)?

Folks may not agree, but seeing sponsors not re-up or make parts for the 5th gen seems to me they don’t consider the 5th gen ‘relavant’ to their bottom line — not all, but some do - and that was not the case 4 years ago when Hurst and others were still designing new aftermarket parts...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #353
gm2376

Quote:
Vendors, business, may deem it not relevant due to demand of aftermarket parts.

Don’t kill the messenger.

A business will decide if making parts is viable. Just as Hurst has decided NOT to do so, as making the part is not profitable — right now the 6th gen is relavant as it’s still in production. Thus a business will try to strike while the iron is still hot and demand is probably going to be higher.

If the 5th gen was still in production then it would be different. Relavant as in making parts for an out of production car. Basically when these were made, the iron was still ‘hot’ as the car was still in production. They still had about 3 years where these could be sold.

Relavant— how many car mags are taking about modding the 5th gen? How about the 6th gen?

Those are what help sell aftermarket parts. Have you noticed some of the long time sponsors have not re-upped their sponsorship (ADM comes to mind)?

-Don
Agree to disagree...from mfgs and shops i know....5th is as relevant for aftermarket if not more than 6th...and more 5th gen parts are being sold, for the sheer reason of numbers, and the fact most 6th gen owners are not readily modding now because of warranty. Again, we are talking about a part here that never really sold in the first place, it has nithing to do with relevancy, but to do with cost.
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #354
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Fair enough... points on both sides made ;o)..

-Don
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #355
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
A $20,000 order for a restart of production of a product like this is unlikely enough to break even. But sometimes a company has the components on hand and simply has to assemble them. In a case like that, it could be worth the company PR. But remember, profit margins run around 10% on good days.

When I read this thread, I was curious as to the interest in this shifter. My 2SS has paddle shifters. What does this shifter do better than the factory system?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #356
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Nothing except appearances. You get dual lighting of the indicators (that is very nice!). It's really a shifter cover and a handle (in my case). I love the looks of it.

If you take out the 'LS' part of the Gen 5 (engine components like cams, heads, etc. ) many sponsors have not seen a need to continue making parts - due to profit margins or having to sit on stock. It's a shame but, the sponsors tend to focus on the 'new hotness'. Just the nature of the beast...

-Don
Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #357
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Quote:
Nothing except appearances. You get dual lighting of the indicators (that is very nice!). It's really a shifter cover and a handle (in my case). I love the looks of it.

If you take out the 'LS' part of the Gen 5 (engine components like cams, heads, etc. ) many sponsors have not seen a need to continue making parts - due to profit margins or having to sit on stock. It's a shame but, the sponsors tend to focus on the 'new hotness'. Just the nature of the beast...

-Don
Do your friends know you are using phrases like "New Hotness"?

Old 06-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #358
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep and 'groovy', btichin', 'dude', 'like, far out man' - I could keep going ;o)...

I have a few decades of wit to call up at any time...

-Don
Old 08-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #359
Chadwirth

Drives: 2014 RS2SS Convertible
I’m in !
Chadwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #360
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@HurstPerformance View Post
Unfortunately we did not receive enough pre-orders to get the group buy to work out. We did take into account the amount of interest that this thread produced so you 5th Gen owners we're not ignored. We are currently working on a replacement shifter handle/grip for the 5th Gen so please stay tuned. We'll drop some additional information on the Camaro5 forum as it becomes available.

- Jason @ Hurst
Any update on this replacement shifter handle/grip for the 5th Gen?

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #361
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsandhu View Post
Any update on this replacement shifter handle/grip for the 5th Gen?
I haven't heard anything. Issue with what they said there, it's not the handle most people want, it's that baddass shifter base plate.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #362
Mr. Hyde

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/5380438

Looks like they are selling the handle by itself.
Mr. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #363
gm2376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/5380438

Looks like they are selling the handle by itself.
Different than the orginal...but still a nice find!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #364
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Ditto!

-Don