Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quality, quality, quality...... Stress the quality!

And I don't mean what JD Powers and Intellichoice says about initial ownership - I mean if the car has a world class, top notch interior, STRESS IT!

Stuff like this will sell the car whether it's a V8, V6, or a Briggs and Stratton. I will place good money that my belief is true, which is: people who would have previously never even looked at a Camaro are convinced they are nothing more than fast rattle box go carts. I've had more than a few people actually tell me this. This is due in no small part to the fact that many 4th and 3rd gen. interiors have rattling, cracking, loose fitting interiors by now. Yes, we are talking about cars that are now 10-20 years old. But the that, I believe, is the strongest negative stigma about the Camaro car itself.

I think if the car is sold as a refined touring coupe instead of a muscle car, it will help change the stigma not only of the Camaro, but of Chevy as a brand.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #44
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
I think you should show the kid from Transformers getting ready for a date. He leaves the house and walks right by his Bumble Bee Camaro and gets into to passenger side of "her" camaro. They zoom off.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #45
GhoSSt

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
I currently have a BMW 335 and before that I had an Audi S4 (340 HP V8). What drove me to those cars was that I could have a killer engine but still have the European handling. But what is missing from both of those cars is a badass look. I never cared much about the "image" of owning a BMW. So I think you CAN seduce BMW enthusiasts.

What brought me back to a Camaro was the aggressive look compared to what I have previously owned and knowing I can have a huge engine and I hope I can have the European style handling because you are testing on Nurburgring. I remember how cool a '69 Camaro was and how uncool the later Camaros were. So you came back to the look of the Camaro I admired. I would emphasize this with some side-by-sides in your ad campaign with the '69. Also I would emphasize the HANDLING, maybe mentioning or showing testing on the Nurburgring. For me, it is all about the looks of the '69 with the handling of a modern car.

0-60 time is essential to mention and HP is essential to mention.

Perhaps later on, Chevy would have a performance arm like Nissan has Nismo. It would go a long way to selling these cars if cat back exhast, aftermarket style wheels, Recaro seating,and carbon fiber bits could be selected upon ordering. But this is less marketing and more my hopes for product development.

Last edited by GhoSSt; 04-28-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #46
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I think if the car is sold as a refined touring coupe instead of a muscle car, it will help change the stigma not only of the Camaro, but of Chevy as a brand.
+1

People who dont know what a camaro is will see this add and find out that it is a refind coupe. But for those people like us know that its a B.A. muscle car too.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #47
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhoSSt View Post
I currently have a BMW 335 and before that I had an Audi S4 (340 HP V8). What drove me to those cars was that I could have a killer engine but still have the European handling. But what is missing from both of those cars is a badass look. I never cared much about the "image" of owning a BMW. So I think you CAN seduce BMW enthusiasts.

What brought me back to a Camaro was the aggressive look compared to what I have previously owned and knowing I can have a huge engine and I hope I can have the European style handling because you are testing on Nurburgring. I remember how cool a '69 Camaro was and how uncool the later Camaros were. So you came back to the look of the Camaro I admired. I would emphasize this with some side-by-sides in your ad campaign with the '69. Also I would emphasize the HANDLING, maybe mentioning or showing testing on the Nurburgring. For me, it is all about the looks of the '69 with the handling of a modern car.

I agree with this strategy Go right after German cars and brands which have traditionally been known as better handling cars. Let the public know that this car can handle with the best of its Germany counterparts. Show them that this car has been track tested. Shed the stigma of the car as just a 1/4 mile track or traffic light dragster (but of course mention 0-60 so that folks know that this car can still perform those duties plenty well).

The Camaro already has its apparent looks going for it, and people assume that it will have power based on its nameplate. Now let the public know that this iteration will also have world class handling.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Perhaps later on, Chevy would have a performance arm like Nissan has Nismo. It would go a long way to selling these cars if cat back exhast, aftermarket style wheels, Recaro seating,and carbon fiber bits could be selected upon ordering. But this is less marketing and more my hopes for product development.
Like GM Performance Parts or a reworked Super Sport line?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #49
Camaroman_99

Drives: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You definitely need to run whatever commercial is decided upon at the movie theater! First, alot of people attend the movies and second, The 5th gen on that big screen ! Some part of the marketing strategy should be on getting the female car buyer interested in a 5th gen. Hey, I'm ready for the V-8 version commercial to show my maro strutting its stuff on mainstreet USA
Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 AM   #50
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
There was a commercial for the 5th gen already. Was called Chapter 11 of the Transformers DVD.

If you haven't seen this, you are not a 5th gen enthusiast.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #51
mprhead5

Drives: 04 MAzdaspeed miata 250whp
opening shot 60's a mustang, challenger, and camaro pull up to a light. the camaro wins of cource. second shot a new mustang,challenger, camaro pull up to anouther light and once again the camaro wins.

the best add that could ever be

current Ride: 04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 250whp 13.3 1/4m
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #52
GhoSSt

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Like GM Performance Parts or a reworked Super Sport line?
I prefer something that when someone sees the badge on your car, no matter if it is a Cadillac or what, they know you have the highest, fastest model.

Look how BMW has "M" for every single car in the line and that is the ultimate engine, suspension, etc.

Mercedes has "AMG" for every single car and it is the best.

Ford has or had "SVT" but they never marketed it as a badge and that was a mistake.

Nissan has even come out with a Nismo model of the 350Z and I think they will do more. But for awhile now you have been able to order catback exhaust and stuff. I think GM has this on some cars but there is no name to it.

Cadillac has "V" but what does that mean on a Camaro or on a Corvette? Absolutely nothing.

It has to be something going across the whole GM line.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #53
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I'm not sure if it's been posted, but simply get the car out there. Have it(at least the Camaro name and likeness) involved in every type of racing(to include drifting) that it could possibly be involved in, and have all types of Camaros involved in a few good movies/TV shows to get it seen on more than just TV ads. Also have some really good TV ads that are memorable, like the 1998 Trans Am commercials. Nearly everybody knows what a Camaro is, they just need to know that it's BACK! Also get some patriotic stuff in there. This car is like a revival of America and all that we stand for.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #54
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I don't think advertising the V8 with revving and burnouts and races against Mustang and Challenger is the way to go (as has already been said).

I think a similar strategy to Cadillac's current one. Something simple that highlights everything. Just one person sitting in the car talking to the camera about features in the car, with the whole "you don't need this this or this, but it is nice to have in a package under $30k." This way the audience can see the inside of the car, can even hear the exhaust in the background and maybe in a pull-away shot, they can see the car's height etc in relation to the backdrops, and they can get a feel for the inside of the car.

Basically steer clear of performance-based ads because with current gas prices that isn't whats selling to the mainstream. I think a few heritage ads (like the Steve McQueen Mustang ad) would be nice and maybe even one or two like their autobahn commercial for the GT500 (both were pretty memorable). But for the most part use those as supplements and just focus on extolling the MPG's, interior quality, and above all else the CONFIDENCE it gives to an owner. You can ride in comfort to a business meeting, pass that Challenger on the interstate with ease, and go pick up your friends/girlfriend for a night on the town all without ever feeling out of place.

It isn't just a muscle car in the brutish 1960's sense...it's a refined muscle car, a MODERN muscle car.

Also, owning a 2010 Camaro makes you feel good and that's what needs to be stressed.

This is kinda rushed, I'll try to think more on it and flesh out a more coherent post later tonight.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #55
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

I agree with this as well.

I think it could be a good idea to have a commercial w/ all three side by side. I know it gets BMW and Audi free advertisement. But, mabye show the pros and cons between the two and the Camaro.

Does it have more interior room?

Does it have more HP/Torque?

Does it get better mpg's?

Does it cost less?

Does GM offer the better warranty than the other two?

Does it have better trunk space? ...mmm don't know about this one...

Does it have more rear seat room/legroom?

Does it have better interior featrures?

I'd say to show them side by side on the track...show the Camaro overtaking the others, or just completely leaving them in the dust. I really like the idea of putting Camary's in Chevy dealers along side the Malibus. I thought that was a great idea. But, hitting that Beamer and Audi market could easily take away sales. I have faith, but sure hope the interior is top notch w/ some great, quality fabrics and leather, lighting, and features.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #56
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
So I should be studying for a Thermodynamics final right now, but instead I decided to come up with the aforementioned in-depth and more coherent advertising plan of my own design.

I would propose a multifaceted approach focusing primarily on TV ads, internet ads, and magazine spreads that all keep with the same themes. Frankly when the new Mustang first came out it had a really good strategy so I’ll be taking elements of it in mine.

Themes:
Don’t market it as a returning muscle car, it is a performance coupe that is also family friendly.
Ignore the fact that it’s “back”. Frankly the Camaros of old had rather negative stereotypes (mullets anyone?) so use this hiatus as a chance to start anew.
Mustang and Challenger are NOT the main competition. Mustang has been oversold and Challenger’s looks are too niche, so instead focus on cars that are just slightly above this class. Aim at the lower end BMW’s, Infiniti, Lexus, etc.
Humor in advertising is overrated. Nowadays it’s almost impossible to create a truly funny commercial and not violate the modern PC standards so just steer clear.
Performance sells itself to the enthusiasts; you’re trying to market the V6 to a crowd that is more interested in MPG’s than HP’s so keep that in mind.
Market this as a sensible car that reinvigorates the teenage kid in all of us; the car that will take us to the business meeting and then to the track to let off steam. This is the kind of car that makes people feel good about themselves, the kind that you can’t help but look back at as you walk away in the parking lot. Use that to your advantage.

TV ads:

If you want a retro ad (ala Steve McQueen w/ the Mustang) then only have one. Do NOT beat the public over the head with the “it’s back” slogan because frankly most of them could care less. Honestly a retro theme would probably be better for an internet spot than a TV ad, but more on that later.

I’d like to see some themes from the new Cadillac ads, with a single driver in the car speaking directly to the camera about why they like the car. This provides the audience the opportunity to see the inside of the car, experience driving it (albeit vicariously), and get a sense for how it moves compared to its surroundings. Additionally exhaust sounds and some HP/performance numbers wouldn’t be totally out of place in such a commercial.

You really want to pull in the newly married/first kid crowd. The guys that have to start thinking in a family sense but don’t want to give up the fun of their youth, so market the family-friendly features of the car. Perhaps an ad where all you see are quick shots of a guy driving furiously, with matching engine noises and quick shifts with all the background as a blur, then as the camera pans out you see him pull up in front of a house and turn around to pull the baby out of its safety seat while the young wife stands in the yard smiling. The narrator can then have a nice tagline such as:
“Meet the next generation of family friendly sports coupes, re-introducing the Chevy Camaro, starting at…”
“Who said family life required settling down?”

Another idea would be a series of “Not that you’d ever want to, but it’s nice to know you could” where you show the car doing various ridiculous things that highlight its durability, performance, and safety.

In other words some creative ads that aren’t just it racing the Mustang and Challenger…the enthusiasts will make enough of those videos themselves.

Magazine Ads:
Keep in the same themes as before, highlighting its practicality and fun, but put them in somewhat unusual magazines. Maybe some in Life or Time or GQ. Try to target the newly married male or the newly married couple in general. Keep the spreads simple and put the car in sophisticated silvers or blacks, not bright muscle car colors.

Internet Ads:
This is the real medium you should focus on. GM has the opportunity here to really go all-out and blaze some advertising trails here. Use Transformers II and maybe set up a really intensive online game using those characters to help promote Camaros release.

Additionally you’ll have the typical banner ads on all the usual websites, but don’t be afraid to include some internet-only video spots. Mustang had a 7:00 one of a returning soldier who’s always wanted his dad’s ’69 and when he gets home from Iraq he finds out his dad has bought him a new one. It was very touching and really stuck with you after watching it so do some nice length videos and post ‘em up and then let word spread. Get the car on Top Gear and then post the clip of their review (if favorable) on Chevy’s website.

I’d say steer clear of the internet story-sagas that some car companies have tried. Instead simply be honest and try to touch people with the internet ads. Being personable on the internet will score major points so simply put the material out there and set up ways for people to find it.

Other random ideas:
Donate some Camaros to one of Oprah’s big giveaways. It makes GM look good and is (sort of) free publicity for the car.
Put some Camaros at Test Track at Disney World. You’re already sponsoring it, might as well get some publicity there too. What better place for a muscle car than at a thrill ride?
Have “Bumblebee” make appearances on the major news morning shows for both the movie’s release and the car’s.

This has gotten long enough so I’ll leave it here. Please let me know any critiques ya’ll have…these are just my opinions.

PS- What happens if GM uses some of our ideas? Perhaps a complimentary V8 ‘maro? Pretty please?

Closed Thread