Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
did you all know about this????

someone on my cavalier forum found this article.

"When Ford brought out the XR6 Turbo, many Ford fans felt a little confused, the battle between turbos and V8s had just taken a new direction. But now it’s about to go one step further with GM mulling a four-cylinder turbocharged engine for the new Chevrolet Camaro.

Chevrolet Camaro four-cylinder turbo

The reason is fuel economy, while the Camaro screams V8 muscle car, someone has to pay for the fuel and with the U.S. economy nearing a recession, selling big V8 fuel guzzlers is getting harder.

GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told journalists at the New York motor show that the entry model Camaro has been dropped, instead GM is considering transplanting the 2.0-litre turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder engine from the Pontiac Solstice roadster into the Camaro. The 2.0-litre produces 194kW.

The Camaro will also be available in high output V6 and V8 variants. The V6 version of the Camaro will have the same 3.6-litre four-cam V6 engine used in the Cadillac CTS, however power will be detuned to around 195kW. Fuel economy will be around 13.8L/100km for city and 9.4L/100km for highway.

Seeing a new Camaro go past with a modified blow off valve will undoubtedly make old-school muscle car fans cry, so the crowd pleaser for the Camaro range is the 6.0-litre (capacity unconfirmed) V8 with roughly 300kW.

GM will implement a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down four-cylinders when cruising, to improve fuel economy.

Given the rising cost of petrol, GM believes buyers will compromise, some will go for the turbo, more will go for the V8, but the majority will find the right balance in the V6 with a manual transmission.

“Back in the old days, if you wanted a muscle car, to get a decent one, you had to buy the V-8, and if you bought the V-6, you got a fairly rough, unrefined pushrod engine with low horsepower and weasely performance. This time, the V-6 is 260-odd horsepower, four overhead cams, very smooth and decent 0-to-60-mph times. And now the V-6 is in its own right a very fast, very legitimate car.” ” Lutz said.

Would you buy a four-cylinder turbo Camaro? Or to turn the question around, would you buy a four-cylinder turbo HSV/FPV sedan/coupe?"
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Sphinx002

Drives: .

:bangdesk:
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Chogan2200

found it.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...t=turbo+camaro

so apparently you all did know about it but just care more about the V8 models...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogan2200 View Post
found it.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...t=turbo+camaro

so apparently you all did know about it but just care more about the V8 models...
Not too many Turbo/ 4 cylinder fans here and yeah most of the non new guys knew already.

I'm curious but the V8 and V6 have most of my interest.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
fredl11

Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Thumbs up They want

to turbo something then Turbo the V8!
Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
nbjczk71

Drives: 69 Camaro
I agree. Most people interested in the Camaro want a V8. If you are looking for gas mileage don't buy a sports car.
nbjczk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Chogan2200

oh! well I guess I registered for the wrong forum. My bad.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
its not that, what i think is funny is everyone is screaming "im going to get the v-8" "v8, v8 v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8vv8v8v8v8vv8vv8888 v8v8v!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!one!!!!eleven!!!!!1!!"

and yet, i have a very strong feeling, that once the camaro comes out we'll be reading a bunch of....."well, i was going to get the v-8, but, 300hp is enough for me, and the improved gas mileage is better with prices still climbing"

oh well.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
and yet, i have a very strong feeling, that once the camaro comes out we'll be reading a bunch of....."well, i was going to get the v-8, but, 300hp is enough for me, and the improved gas mileage is better with prices still climbing"

No matter what happens to the economy, im getting the V8 and maxing her out. theres no way im going to get less, gotta match up with my 78 Camaro.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Chogan2200

I guess I just found it a little amusing that NO ONE has really posted much info about the 2.0liter turbo possibility! If it wasn't for my friend from clubcav doing a little bit of investigation, I would have NEVER known about it from here!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieke View Post
No matter what happens to the economy, im getting the V8 and maxing her out. theres no way im going to get less, gotta match up with my 78 Camaro.
well, based on your sig... "pushing around 300"
you could get the v-6 and be happy as well.

Quote:
I guess I just found it a little amusing that NO ONE has really posted much info about the 2.0liter turbo possibility! If it wasn't for my friend from clubcav doing a little bit of investigation, I would have NEVER known about it from here!

well, you gotta consider the traditional types of motors that have gone into f-bodies. cavie owners however, are used to the smaller motors so they would be more likely to talk about it. when people hear camaro or muscle car in general, they think big motors and a slightly smaller one for the base model. we've discussed it before on here, but the fact that they (gm reps) havent stated that it WILL go into the car makes us care even less about it. we know its a possiblity/probability but its still up in the air for now. however we KNOW we will be getting a v-8 (more than likely the LS3 for the SS), a D.I. v-6 for the base model (RS), and more than likely a s/c V-8 (more than likely a derivative of the LSA/LS9) for the Z28.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. After the car is released and folks drive and price the 4 it's gonna be a big seller in it's own right. Just lotsa testosterone here at the moment.
Bring your friends on over here and talk about it.
It ain't gonna be like your momma's Civic, that's fersher!

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-29-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
CamaroNinja577

Drives: Toyota Solara SLE
i have a question about the MPG what units are you using and can you convert them to standard US MPG?
CamaroNinja577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
A few things: We talked about the 2.0L turbo A LOT when it was first mentioned. There is a very long, very heated thread on it.

We imagine it will be very popular with the tuner crowd, and it also may be the way we keep our V8 in spite of CAFE. I'm happy they're considering it. It would be a smart move.

NBJCZK if that is true then why have V6s outsold V8s every single model year for the Camaro? The fact is most people who buy a Camaro will be interested in the 300 hp V6 at most, and a great many would consider a 260 I4. Those numbers match or beat the Mustang V8 and V6, respectively. Also, the Camaro is very much NOT a sports car. It is a sporty midsize car. It has a back seat and a trunk for a very good reason. For the majority of buyers this will have to be a practical daily driver, and so they need a solid balance of economy and sportiness. The 300 hp DI V6 and 260 hp DI TC I4 will do that quite nicely.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote