Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Ryguy1188

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Help, Halo Projector Headlights are very dim

Hello,
I have 2010 Camaro SS with the factory projector style halo headlights, which I assume are HIDs.
I've been noticing that the headlights seem very dim lately, and so I have a friend with a 2014 Camaro SS with halo headlights park next to mine to determine if it was in my head.
(Images attached)
It seems very apparent that my lights are indeed much dimmer. I've read that HID will slowly turn blue, and thus become dimmer over time, however mine seem more yellowish in the center. There is very minor discoloration/hazing on the headlight cover, so I find it hard to believe that could be the issue.

I see prices for bulbs aren't cheap, so I hate to buy a pair just to realize that they aren't bad.
Any ideas on what I should check or look for?

Pictures (Left side=2014, right side=2010)
Attached Images

Ryguy1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Change your bulbs
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Bulbs won't help much, OP. While it's a possibility.... Not 100% guaranteed to fix.

GM uses super cheap chromed plastic reflectors. Not metal. The chrome starts bubbling/flaking off that reflector. It's a pretty shit design, if I'm honest. The only thing that will truly fix it is new headlights or retrofitting a proper projector housing into your existing lights.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

To elaborate:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post

That is why the headlights on my car sucked balls... my guess is that the previous owner had a 55W D2S conversion and swapped it out when he sold the car, or that the GM projector (which is made in CHINA) is a piece of garbage to begin with.

Also, the step in the projector lens with the frosted (freshnel) lens don't help a bit with light output.

Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Are you sure you have OEM projector headlights? That output is terrible, no offense. Either those are aftermarket projector housings or the previous owner installed a 55W HID kit which destroyed your projectors like shibbs is suggesting
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Ryguy1188

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Are you sure you have OEM projector headlights? That output is terrible, no offense. Either those are aftermarket projector housings or the previous owner installed a 55W HID kit which destroyed your projectors like shibbs is suggesting
Yeah, the output is really bad. I'm fairly confident that they are OEM projector headlights. I did purchased used back in 2011, but this does has the 2SS/RS package which includes the halos from factory. I doubt the previous owner installed an aftermarket HID kit, but I wouldn't count it out just yet. Is there any way to check if they are the 55W HID kit?

At the end of last year, I had part of the wiring harness melt as it was leaning again the exhaust manifold, which gave me some issues to put it into limp mode. That issue has since been fixed long before I noticed this issue, but I wonder if they were related?
Ryguy1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy1188 View Post
Yeah, the output is really bad. I'm fairly confident that they are OEM projector headlights. I did purchased used back in 2011, but this does has the 2SS/RS package which includes the halos from factory. I doubt the previous owner installed an aftermarket HID kit, but I wouldn't count it out just yet. Is there any way to check if they are the 55W HID kit?

At the end of last year, I had part of the wiring harness melt as it was leaning again the exhaust manifold, which gave me some issues to put it into limp mode. That issue has since been fixed long before I noticed this issue, but I wonder if they were related?
It's possible that harness caused some other problems. Not sure if you can tell from the outside if an aftermarket HID kit was installed, might need to get the housing apart to do that.

How long ago did the lights get that dim?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

My lights have noticeably dimmed since my car was new. I think the factory housings corrode/flake/nastify just with the stock bulb. It's disappointing to say the least.
I'm looking into retrofitting something else into my housings, probably this winter while the car's in storage.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Just like aging stars in the sky, they will turn yellower and then towards the red spectrum as they age. A blue star is young, yellow middle aged(like our sun), and red is end of life.

Your HID bulbs will get dimmer and more towards the red spectrum as they age. The lumens will drop significantly.

A 2 year old, 4300K HID bulb, if used every night, will be significantly dimmer and more yellow(lower K rating), than a brand new, 4300K bulb.

You might have noticed HID bulbs emitting a flickering pink hue, in their last week of life out there I'm sure, lol,(but you just never payed enough attention).

What shibbs wrote is true as well. UV, heat, etc, prematurely age the OEM housing.

Aging HID bulb + aging housing =
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
96SS10SS
hates winter

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Bringing this one back from the dead. I noticed the stock HID light output was poor after 8 years so I replaced the bulbs which were not burnt out or changing colors. I verified the aim of the headlights and they’re still not doing it for me. I remember how bright they seemed when I got the car and I loved driving at night because of how well I could see. I’m 37 so my eyes aren’t shot yet. It feels like I am driving with just foglights but sure enough the headlights are on. Has anybody with this dim HID issue replaced the reflectors, projectors, or entire housings and noticed improvement? Driving at night in the rain is just dangerous now.
2010 2SS/RS LS3 built October 30, 2009; 416ci/6.8L forged LS3 with 495 RWHP@6k/470 TQ@4.4k; Lunati 235/243 .626"/.634" 114LSA +3; Monster LT-1S twin disc, SLP retro badges, MGW shifter/knob, Hotchkis TVS Stage 1, Pedders Street Z bushings, 3.91 Gear swap, red calipers, Z28 CAI, ZL1 side skirts/rock guards, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, SLP front splitter.
96SS10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

I really wish a company would make a quality replacement or plug-and-play retrofit for the stock innards. I would easily throw money at them if it got me good headlights again.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
96SS10SS
hates winter

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Did you just put yours back together and deal with it? I really don’t want to spend $1500 to buy new assemblies. My gut tells me that headlight assemblies shouldn’t wear out like this; bulbs and maybe ballasts, yes, but not the assembly itself. I’ve read that the BMW E46s had a problem with OEM HID projector bowls burning, so it’s not a rare occurrence for that to be an issue. However, unless you find a donor with perfect bowls, you can’t do anything to try to fix it. I haven’t even dug into mine to see what the problem might be yet and if I do confirm some damage my option is to buy new assemblies which will probably go the same route if I keep it longer than 5 years.
2010 2SS/RS LS3 built October 30, 2009; 416ci/6.8L forged LS3 with 495 RWHP@6k/470 TQ@4.4k; Lunati 235/243 .626"/.634" 114LSA +3; Monster LT-1S twin disc, SLP retro badges, MGW shifter/knob, Hotchkis TVS Stage 1, Pedders Street Z bushings, 3.91 Gear swap, red calipers, Z28 CAI, ZL1 side skirts/rock guards, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, SLP front splitter.
96SS10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #13
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Is this still a problem for the late model 5th gens? I have a 2015 and I feel like they could be brighter. This could just be me, however
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
-Outer plastic lens polish/restoration (if sandblasted and/or yellowed from UV light)
-Replace HID Bulb
-Replace entire assembly

Most if not all cars today go through this process.

Highway cars driven at night, following 18 wheelers on wet dirty highways, will see significant degradation after a mere 2 years, even 1!

And yes, the outer lens turns yellow from UV, not just from our sun, but the HID bulb itself
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote