Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #29
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Also I went from 330rwhp stock with only a CAI to 365rwhp with the headers and the tune.. What a huge difference it made how the car acts !! You will love it! Then get a big cam and stall and you will be a very happy fellow !!!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #30
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS
OP, read this:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...n-iv-v-engine/

R2C Cold Air Intake / Apex Race Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / Z28 Replicas in rear / 1LE Suspension / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Transmission Dipstick
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #31
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm not sure what shop you went to, but they're crazy. The LS3 conversion from a L99 is not cheap where a set of headers is a quick and rather inexpensive install if you don't do it yourself. Go to a different shop as this one doesn't know what they're talking about and they're crazy for giving you that advice.

BTW, Solo Mach XL catback with long tube headers sounds AMAZING!! I've been running Kooks LT's with high flow cats and Solo Mach XL catback for years and I love it!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #32
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Too bad you do not have a clip of your exhaust since our cars have the exact same catback lol. Now I am even more torn between getting the Kooks and getting the Stainless Power. Decisions decisions lol.

1JEWLDSSRS, I would have figured it woulda been more like 375. Least that is what I was guessing Id wind with after I put the headers on the car. It currently has a tune on it. Granted Id get the parts from Ted so he will re-tune for free.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #33
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Speed Engineering are $350...since you are in FL you don't need cats so to me this makes the most sense. Makes the same power as Kooks...

R2C Cold Air Intake / Apex Race Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / Z28 Replicas in rear / 1LE Suspension / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Transmission Dipstick
Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #34
byrds8

Do all LTHs make the same power and have the same sound? As for running not cats. Most of the shops I spoke with around here asked if I was keeping them else they wouldnt touch. I had one shop refuse to put on HFs because the car didnt have 80K miles on it and nothing was wrong with the factory ones.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #35
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
Too bad you do not have a clip of your exhaust since our cars have the exact same catback lol. Now I am even more torn between getting the Kooks and getting the Stainless Power. Decisions decisions lol.

1JEWLDSSRS, I would have figured it woulda been more like 375. Least that is what I was guessing Id wind with after I put the headers on the car. It currently has a tune on it. Granted Id get the parts from Ted so he will re-tune for free.
Hey there,forgot to mention that was on a Mustang dyno, and my tuner told me that I pulled was the most he has gotten out of a L99 car with just a header install. It made me happy ! Now I'm even happier with thebig cam and stall!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #36
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey there,forgot to mention that was on a Mustang dyno, and my tuner told me that I pulled was the most he has gotten out of a L99 car with just a header install. It made me happy ! Now I'm even happier with thebig cam and stall!!!

Cam and such will be something down the road. Id love a cam and twin turbos. At the end of the day Id be happy with 550-600HP. I want it still drive-able since I work about a hour away from the house. Passing everything but the gas station wouldnt do a lot of good lol.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #37
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

If no shops will touch it because of the no cats find someone who will do it on the side. Putting headers on doesn't get into the engine so it's pretty hard to mess up. It's essentially like adding an intake, you take off the stock ones, put the new ones on.

For the most part, longtubes should make just about the same power/sound the same regardless of brand. Now, if you were at like 600hp or more going with 2" headers might be worth it, but for most of us, they aren't needed.

With the L99 we also have a giant ass resonator which you can delete with an X-pipe.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:16 PM   #38
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post

No video clips? Check out these:

Post tune exhaust clip

Cold start post cam install

This exhaust sounds so good to me. The post tune video was in cabin and gopro on the bumper. I have another hard pull post cam install, but it doesn't capture all of the awesomeness IMO.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #39
byrds8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
With the L99 we also have a giant ass resonator which you can delete with an X-pipe.

I have the Solo Performance Mach XL cat back atm. It does have some sort of resonator/x-pipe sitting there but its ok.

Those clips sound amazing. Cant wait to get headers on this thing. March income taxes wont get here fast enough lol. I may go with the Stainless Power though just to save a few bucks if there isnt much difference in headers with fit, power and sound. Jannetty is looking for around $1600 for the Kooks before taxes and shipping and I only have a 2K budget. The Stainless Power are only like $1200.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #40
pyroguy

There's no shame with Stainless Power. They too will sound and perform well. I'm never selling my Camaro so I went with a header that has a lifetime warranty and is made in America. You'll love ther sound with your headers and especially when combined with the tune these cars really wake up.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #41
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
As others have said the headers will be noticeable. From what people say here yes, 25-30 hp from headers. A tune is another 10-12. Heck I got 20 from shorty headers and hiflows. CAI like Rotofab or cai is about 14.
Mods: Magnaflow 3" comp catback/Rotofab CAI/Apex Scoop/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers/tune/ Ridetech coilovers/DSE swaybars /BMR cradle bushings, toe links and trailing arms/Stage 1 cam/ 3.91 gears-439/420 RWHP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #42
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Why go with Stainless Power for $1200 when you can go with Speed Engineering for $350?

With the saved $900 you could grab a ported/rod modded GPI intake manifold for $425, a ported VMAX Throttle Body for $150, solid subframe bushings for $150, 1LE trailing arms for $100, ZL1 rear sway bar for $100ish...

It's your car ultimately, but I go for the best bang for buck.