Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #57
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Chevy makes a fast stock 1/4 car, its called a corvette...

IMO the design of the new Camaro was meant to give an average joe fun on the track and street. "Track" being a speedway with corners.

We are just too heavy and wide to be good drag cars stock.

If you look at all the evolutions of the Camaro (1LE, Zl1, Z/28) they all involve handling in that track setting, not straight lines.

I will be curious to see if the new mustang looses some of that straight line advantage with Ford putting IRS in.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #58
12camaroSS

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
I heard they were putting irs in the fords.. Would be great uf camaro would loose some weight. A 6.2 with less weight omg... Lol
12camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #59
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
Mad? I've been on here longer than you man (Not to play that card) and actually contribute as an enthusiast.

Fastest times ever are 12.2 for a 5.0 and 12.5 for an SS. How is that dead even?

Dead even means there is no gaining for either side in a straight line. So, if they are dead even in a straight line, that means that with equal drivers on a road course, they will be nearly dead even. Not to the extent of what you said earlier that a 1LE DESTROYS a 5.0 like it is minutes faster.

I race in real life, at a track, not on the street. How about you? Any 1/4 mile times for your SS? Have you driven a 5.0 and 1LE and raced against both? I've driven an SS LS3, a 5.0 and I can say the 5.0 is faster. Not to the extent you described the 1LE being on a road course, but, I'd say I could probably pull a good car or two with an equal driver in a 5.0 down the 1/4.
That 12.2 is BS considering it was at Cecil which is a downhill track. Don't know where the SS got a 12.5 but if it was at Cecil then it is a BS time as well. IMO, the fastest bone stock Coyote has run 12.4. Any records broken at Cecil should not count.

I honestly think the SS is going to lose unless the GT driver messes up. OP's intake doesn't do much, might even hurt, cat back does nothing for this car and if that's a email tune without data logging it won't help that much either.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #60
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
Chevy makes a fast stock 1/4 car, its called a corvette...

IMO the design of the new Camaro was meant to give an average joe fun on the track and street. "Track" being a speedway with corners.

We are just too heavy and wide to be good drag cars stock.

If you look at all the evolutions of the Camaro (1LE, Zl1, Z/28) they all involve handling in that track setting, not straight lines.

I will be curious to see if the new mustang looses some of that straight line advantage with Ford putting IRS in.
This is funny since Chevy makes a fast handling car built for the road course track......
It's called the Corvette LOL.
GM has always made the Corvette their great handling car and the F body a great straight line car. With the 5th gen they tried to make it handle with sports cars yet it will never be a true sports car no mater how great it handles. That is what I don't understand about GM. Let the Corvette set records at the ring but let the Camaro stay true to its heritage as a great 1/4 car first and foremost. The average Joe likes to be fast in a straight line. The amount of pony car owners who engage in some sort of straight line race vs a road course is probably 100 to 1. Sometimes I think GM worries about pleasing the Euro trash magazine writers/drivers for a good review rather than the general American public.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #61
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
More torque + higher gearing + stickier tires makes up the weight difference between the two. I'm not sure what you mean by "lol", if you have something to say post a coherent response or don't post at all.
If by stickier you meant stiffer wheel hop inducing tire then you are correct. Higher gearing? The 1le has a different transmission to go along with that rear end. The first two gears top out at the same mph btwn a ss and 1le. Third in a 1le is slightly shorter which requires a shift to fourth through the 1/4 mile where as the ss owners claim to stay in third.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #62
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
This is funny since Chevy makes a fast handling car built for the road course track......
It's called the Corvette LOL.
GM has always made the Corvette their great handling car and the F body a great straight line car. With the 5th gen they tried to make it handle with sports cars yet it will never be a true sports car no mater how great it handles. That is what I don't understand about GM. Let the Corvette set records at the ring but let the Camaro stay true to its heritage as a great 1/4 car first and foremost. The average Joe likes to be fast in a straight line. The amount of pony car owners who engage in some sort of straight line race vs a road course is probably 100 to 1. Sometimes I think GM worries about pleasing the Euro trash magazine writers/drivers for a good review rather than the general American public.
I'm not sure if GM was trying to please Europe or just wanted to try something different. A lot of the features on the 5th gen Camaro came from the aussies. True muscle/pony cars have been gone for a while but have made a comeback. Maybe the 5th gen was meant to give someone a taste of a vette without breaking the wallet. At least the technology has that trickle down effect.

Personally I think Ford is trying harder to please the euro crowd with the mustang (offering an ecoboost engine) and giving the euro styling. American pony cars have never made any serious inroads with the EU but we will see if the mustang fly's or is a crash and burn there.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #63
12camaroSS

Video will be up Saturday if it doesn't rain
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #64
RobTX

Drives: Stock
Good Luck
RobTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #65
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
I love how quick everyone on this forum is to say Camaros will beat anything.

I love our Camaro, but there is no questioning that the 5.0 is faster stock. Mod for mod though the Camaro will catch up, but to this point my 5.0 is still faster.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #66
Bpw72

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible 2ss/rs
I read through 3 pages of gibberish to see nothing of their race
Bpw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #67
12camaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpw72 View Post
I read through 3 pages of gibberish to see nothing of their race
Will be up tomorrow if it doesn't rain.....
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #68
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
It's funny every 5.0 vs SS in a race thread always come to mustangs can't turn.
After owning a 2007 C6 Z51, 2012 Camaro SS and now a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack I still don't get why the Camaro crowd says this. Yep with a bigger tire you can push a 1LE harder in corners, duh. And yep a decent bump mid corner will upset a solid axle vehicle.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #69
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
It's funny every 5.0 vs SS in a race thread always come to mustangs can't turn.
No, every thread turns into "Mustangs beat Camaros in the 1/4" so of course the response is "Camaros beat Mustangs on a road course". Don't just whine one way.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #70
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
No, every thread turns into "Mustangs beat Camaros in the 1/4" so of course the response is "Camaros beat Mustangs on a road course". Don't just whine one way.

Well yeah when the question who will win in a straight line is brought up, most people will say the mustang. Then the butt hurts chime in with the mustangs can't turn, race him on a track. If the op says I'm going to race my buddy in his Mustang around a track, then the answer should be Camaro should take it.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote