Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Is your car spying on you?

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/is-y...spying-on-you/

There has been a lot of talk at the Consumer Electronics Show this week about Ford's Vice President saying “We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you’re doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you’re doing.”

Just curious what y'all think about this plus the black boxes the insurance companies are using...
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336507

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
He gets a break. No one would find that thread in the convertible section....
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Sorry guys, didn't see that link. Thanks!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I hate the "do a search" blasting sometimes. hahaha!

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Earthshaker6

Drives: 45th Anniversary HPE650
Simple:
- Street racing is illegal and dangerous to more than yourself. If the box can detect it, catch them.
- Track racing is going to let your insurance company off the hook if you wreck it. If you tow the car somewhere and say it was hit, that is fraud...book um Dan O!
- Nobody is reporting you for cruising (or speeding) at this point...if you want to do the typical 10 mph over, do it....the little black box will not get you the ticket, the nice Police Officer will.

This is so much like the people posting threats to Facebook if their information they post on social media gets leaked on social media...if you don't want to get caught, don't do it.

Everyone acts like they are living a life in the CIA and every part of it should be secret, yet they post every bit of it on social media! If you want to live the super-secret squirrel life, that is cool…give up your iPhone, computer, satellite TV (with the Smart TV functions), etc…but (or build so no one else knows where it is) a house in the mountains somewhere. Grow your own food so the frequent buyer cards you use at Food Lion does not let anyone know what items you are eating…and live the quite life.

Now, am I one of those CIA spies that are looking into your every move? Nope…Do I want the government knowing every time I have sex? Nope…So, if I put it on social media, I expect others to know about it. If I speed on the roads, I expect that someone could find out. If tracking an idiot driving over 100 mph on the street saves my daughter’s life because he/she was busted before running a red light and T-Boning her car, would I be happy? You dang skippy!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew9440 View Post
I hate the "do a search" blasting sometimes. hahaha!
Yeah, because the search function sucks. If I need to look for something I use google with Camaro 5 and whatever I need.

I don't care if someone reposts something like this. It's not intentional. People are always blasting others for something like that, read the rules, they say we're supposed to be helpful and instead people want to be rude sometimes.

On the subject. Gosh I don't know. A little spooky. I've often though maybe I should restrict myself to cars that originally didn't come catalytic converters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post

Everyone acts like they are living a life in the CIA and every part of it should be secret, yet they post every bit of it on social media! If you want to live the super-secret squirrel life, that is cool…give up your iPhone, computer, satellite TV (with the Smart TV functions), etc…but (or build so no one else knows where it is) a house in the mountains somewhere. Grow your own food so the frequent buyer cards you use at Food Lion does not let anyone know what items you are eating…and live the quite life.
Well, it's not exactly all or nothing. I won't live in an America where you cuss and the box on the wall prints out a ticket saying you've automatically been fined(Demolition Man) and that may sound extreme but with the Audi that drives it self and these GPS's in cars I can see where some will eventually want to move that way with traffic violations.

Really what I'm getting at there is you have described either a situation where you are completely plugged in or your a fringe nut living on Ruby Ridge. I think most people are in the middle somewhere. Currently this is about as far as I go with social media. Flat screen, but no smart tv. I have a very small electronic foot print. I will say that is rapidly, and most unfortunately, changing as I will be entering the "normal" workforce where I'm supposed to be on Linkedin and what not. Sucks a little.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
I hate to say it but I bet OnStar is doing the same damn thing in GM cars, they're just not dumb enough to say it to the press.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
The government never ever lies to you trust everything they tell you, they love you. A good citizen should serve and obey the government.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
I say if they have the technology to know if you are speeding and are able to have the ability to inform law enforcement, the are liable as an accessory for building a car that allows you to exceed the speed limit in that particular area. Works both ways, and in addition if it is not disclosed, it would be considered entrapment.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Yeah, because the search function sucks. If I need to look for something I use google with Camaro 5 and whatever I need.

I don't care if someone reposts something like this. It's not intentional. People are always blasting others for something like that, read the rules, they say we're supposed to be helpful and instead people want to be rude sometimes.

On the subject. Gosh I don't know. A little spooky. I've often though maybe I should restrict myself to cars that originally didn't come catalytic converters.

Well, it's not exactly all or nothing. I won't live in an America where you cuss and the box on the wall prints out a ticket saying you've automatically been fined(Demolition Man) and that may sound extreme but with the Audi that drives it self and these GPS's in cars I can see where some will eventually want to move that way with traffic violations.

Really what I'm getting at there is you have described either a situation where you are completely plugged in or your a fringe nut living on Ruby Ridge. I think most people are in the middle somewhere. Currently this is about as far as I go with social media. Flat screen, but no smart tv. I have a very small electronic foot print. I will say that is rapidly, and most unfortunately, changing as I will be entering the "normal" workforce where I'm supposed to be on Linkedin and what not. Sucks a little.
When I read Camaro5 its all about what is being posted on right now. I don't search for things just because? How would I even know I wanted to read them. Some dudes sit on here all day and search about what people post to see if anyone has ever posted about it before ever. You are right too the search isn't really that great. I do the same google search you do!

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
The government never ever lies to you trust everything they tell you, they love you. A good citizen should serve and obey the government.
This, just drink the Kool Aid and be one of us.
One of us, one of us, gooble gobble gooble gobble
Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Mannsiam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post

Great Demolition Man reference

Yeah Im a Chevy Guy. 11 Silverado, 12 Malibu, 14 Camaro 1LE
Mannsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Well I'm glad onstar doesn't call the cops I would have been turned in along time ago yea I street race what about it lol.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black box, ford, pfadt, spying