Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
brake, clutch and track questions

This isn't two separate questions or problems. sorry if not in the right place. I have been reading all subforums for the last 60 hours or so. I don't sleep much. I have found an anomaly in information coverage. I see that most people who track their cars change to a DOT 4 brake fluid to keep the boiling point down. I see that many have had problems with clutch pedal staying down. I also note that some have gone to an independent fluid reservoir for the clutch fluid. Here is what I have not seen in any of the threads: flushing and changing the clutch fluid when upgrading the brake fluid. In DIY threads, nothing is said about the clutch fluid being drained in what appears to be stock, brake/clutch reservoirs. It is noted the difficulty in the flushing of the clutch because of the inability to access without dropping the tranny or a remote bleed (Tick performance) being installed. Could contamination of DOT3 by DOT4 invasion of clutch lines be causing some of the problems with the clutch pedal? I have a 1LE I hope to track when I get back from "over there" this spring. I want to change the brake fluid to Motul 600 or the like. but, don't want to contaminate the clutch side of the world in doing so. what do y'all think?
Jimmie
masterguns95 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
This isn't two separate questions or problems. sorry if not in the right place. I have been reading all subforums for the last 60 hours or so. I don't sleep much. I have found an anomaly in information coverage. I see that most people who track their cars change to a DOT 4 brake fluid to keep the boiling point down. I see that many have had problems with clutch pedal staying down. I also note that some have gone to an independent fluid reservoir for the clutch fluid. Here is what I have not seen in any of the threads: flushing and changing the clutch fluid when upgrading the brake fluid. In DIY threads, nothing is said about the clutch fluid being drained in what appears to be stock, brake/clutch reservoirs. It is noted the difficulty in the flushing of the clutch because of the inability to access without dropping the tranny or a remote bleed (Tick performance) being installed. Could contamination of DOT3 by DOT4 invasion of clutch lines be causing some of the problems with the clutch pedal? I have a 1LE I hope to track when I get back from "over there" this spring. I want to change the brake fluid to Motul 600 or the like. but, don't want to contaminate the clutch side of the world in doing so. what do y'all think?
Jimmie
First of all, stay safe "over there".....These clutch "issues" aren't all cut and dried....there are many successful up-grades that can be done...or perhaps if you do nothing you will never have a clutch problem either...

Dot3 and dot4 can be mixed with no down-side....A separate clutch reservoir can be added without draining anything....You can use 3 or 4....

Don't stress....this will probably be moved to 1LE forum....no worries....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Thanks. only experience I've had with different brake fluids was changing 3 to 5 in my sportster.
masterguns95 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
In some of the threads you might have noticed a link back to a site where a guy with a Vette seems to trace the problems back clutch debris contaminating the clutch fluid, which in our cars also affects the brakes because of a single reservoir.

From what I have read on here, most of the guys who autox regularly, also change clutch fluid regularly, thus the advantage of a separate reservoir and bleeder extensions that make clutch fluid changes easier. I'm about to install both myself, not because I autox, but it seems like a cheap, smart mod while I'm changing the clutch. I change the brake fluid when I installed a Hurst Roll Control and it already looks dirtier than I like, so I would recommend if your going through the trouble of messing with the brake fluid, get a new clutch fluid reservoir for $20, and start with fresh fluid all around. When you decide to change your clutch, put a bleeder extension on and you can easily change your clutch fluid at will.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
Thanks. only experience I've had with different brake fluids was changing 3 to 5 in my sportster.
I believe dot5 is a full synthetic and is not compatible with 3 or 4...

Dot5 requires different seals, etc., and cannot be mixed with 3,4...

Dot 3 and Dot4 can be mixed....most like to flush out as much dot3 as possible before going to dot4, but any mixing is not a problem....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote