Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #57
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Test drove a 2016 2SS myself yesterday. Big mistake, now I want one. NO way I'd swap my Challenger for it, but the 2SS will likely replace my 370z. Logged in over here for the first time in a long while to start catching up on the features of the Gen6. The Challenger and Camaro are now miles a part in terms of what they are.

Challenger = hard core muscle car
Gen6 Camaro = sport car with a massive V8

Gotta have one of each to be happy
That about says it for me. I'd love to have the Camaro but it can't replace the Challenger. So I cool my heels and wait for the right time, maybe in a few years when the kids are grown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
They might encourage it, but be careful. When I was investigating getting a 15 Scat Pack, I learned that the newest versions of the 392 cannot take a lot of boost. I believe they said 6-8 lbs max, apparently the pistons are a very weak link in those engines. IIRC right about 550RWHP was the safe limit before going into the engine.

Wasn't the deciding factor for me, but just something to keep in mind.
My worry with modding the Challenger is the A8. If you have a Scat Pack or SRT with the A8, the torque limit spec on the A8 is 516 lb/ft. Good for a few NA mods but I'm not sure about boost.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #58
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The 392, from what I've read, isn't a great motor for FI...no. However it is a great motor for a stroker project.

Arrington motors (big name in the Hemi world) can stroke them out to 426 CI and produce around 500+WHP/ 500+ WTQ..on a streetable, mild cam.

Does anyone know at what vehicle weight that power rating on the FCA A8 is?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #59
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
They might encourage it, but be careful. When I was investigating getting a 15 Scat Pack, I learned that the newest versions of the 392 cannot take a lot of boost. I believe they said 6-8 lbs max, apparently the pistons are a very weak link in those engines. IIRC right about 550RWHP was the safe limit before going into the engine.

Wasn't the deciding factor for me, but just something to keep in mind.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
My worry with modding the Challenger is the A8. If you have a Scat Pack or SRT with the A8, the torque limit spec on the A8 is 516 lb/ft. Good for a few NA mods but I'm not sure about boost.

Mike
I think you'll find the limit is 750 ft/lbs. That's from memory but there are several versions of the A8 available. The one in the Hellcat is 900 I believe. There's a wiki out there describing them.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #60
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Awesome SRT man!

I drove a 2015 SRT 392 for a few months last year and loved it! Since the GT350 is a bit more expensive and marked up to outrageous levels, it was between the SRT 392 and 2SS for me. I think both cars are equally good, but they are very different.

The Challenger is the bigger and heavier car; as a result of that the rear seats are actually usable - it fit my dad (6'3"), mom (5'7") and GF (5'7") in relative comfort. With the sunroof there is less headroom though... I like to sit more-or-less upright and have somewhat silly hair that adds an inch to my height (6'2" otherwise) and it bothered me - the Camaro has the same low seating position as the ATS and it's just perfect. I did love the sepia colored leather and real aluminum trim though, the Challenger's interior looks fantastic. Uconnect > MyLink...

The Challenger handled exceptionally well for a heavier car, and unless you're really pushing it both cars limits are high enough for most people. The Camaro does have much more immediate steering and you can feel the car turn in right off center. I like magnetic ride more than the passive adjustable dampers that are on the SRT - they make the car noticeably softer in tour mode without making the ride floaty like it gets in the SRT. I have to say though, I like the Hemi more than the LT1 or the LS6 that was in my CTS-V1... the way that engine revs, delivers power and sounds is just amazing. While the transmission and clutch are virtually identical; the complete powertrains feel very different - the SRT is old-school and has a more natural throttle progression, while the Camaro feels more modern, computer controlled and more like a sports car. In short, ironically, the Challenger experience is closer to my CTS-V1 even though the Camaro weighs less than both and is ultimately faster.

If you want a muscle car with serious GT/sporting credentials that will give you an analog driving experience, get the Challenger; If you want a modern sports/GT car, get the Camaro. My perfect garage would have both though... and a GT350, and an M4 for good measure.
Attached Images

crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #61
Gambina

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Enjoy your stay
Gambina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #62
GDAGR8

Drives: Camaro-future
Nice challenger. You aren't lying about the 6gen back seat, hell even the fronts seem snug. I had a loaded 2014 ram R/T with the a8 and loved that thing until it was rear ended after 6 months of ownership to the tune of $22k dollars. It was my dream work truck as I maintain pools for a living. It was never the same so back into a Toyota I went. I did mod the Toyota out with coilovers,adjustable rear shocks and some 18" enkeis. I do miss my ram at times. I want to sell my desert truck and get into a gen6 Camaro, vette or even looking at some dodges again. It would be my toy

My R/T

The work Toyota

My desert truck/ toy

GDAGR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #63
PsychoZL1

I recently joined the Challenger club as well. I test drove a '15 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with the A8 and I ended up trading my '13 ZL1 for a '15 Challenger SRT w/ A8. I love it. The tech packed into the Challenger is the best I've had in any vehicle. Not to mention the performance. I feel like I'm in a Luxury Sports Car!

Don't get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro. They're both sweet cars.

Here's my Challenger:
Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  128.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  164.0 KB
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #64
Speedy1975
FASTER!

That's a gorgeous Challenger. You guys need to look in to coming to ChallengerFest in April. It's a kick ass event for Modern Mopar. Car show, drag race at a private track rental, and party!

www.ChallengerFest.net

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #65
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
That's a gorgeous Challenger. You guys need to look in to coming to ChallengerFest in April. It's a kick ass event for Modern Mopar. Car show, drag race at a private track rental, and party!

www.ChallengerFest.net

LX Fest in SoCal is another good one!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #66
Z06Vette

Drives: 2009 Z06 ..sold
Sat in a '16 SRT yesterday. I drove an A8 SS a few weeks ago & have yet to find a 6 speed car here in WI to test drive. I'm really torn between both cars, the Challenger is very, very nice inside & has some room in it. The Camaro is smaller but wonderful in its own right. I'm a bowtie guy for sure (Pontiac is gone ;o) and I do miss my old 67 GTO a bunch but...The Challenger is high on my list. My wife prefers the look of the Challenger as well so that is a bit of a factor.

I plan to test drive a 6 speed Scat pack and an A8 as soon as the roads dry up a bit again.
Z06Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #67
MikeyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Vette View Post
Sat in a '16 SRT yesterday. I drove an A8 SS a few weeks ago & have yet to find a 6 speed car here in WI to test drive. I'm really torn between both cars, the Challenger is very, very nice inside & has some room in it. The Camaro is smaller but wonderful in its own right. I'm a bowtie guy for sure (Pontiac is gone ;o) and I do miss my old 67 GTO a bunch but...The Challenger is high on my list. My wife prefers the look of the Challenger as well so that is a bit of a factor.

I plan to test drive a 6 speed Scat pack and an A8 as soon as the roads dry up a bit again.
Let us know your impressions once you drive the Scat Pack. I'm a Challenger owner and couldn't tell you which I'd prefer. The only thing I know is that if you truly need the back seat, the Challenger is the only way to go. Back seat aside, if I was buying now, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd probably lean toward the Camaro just because I've been in a Challenger so long... and the Camaro is the latest and greatest thing (re)designed more recently: I'm someone who always has to have the latest version. Let us know your thoughts once you test drive the models you want to see.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #68
BrandX
Camaro Again?

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I loved the way my 2015 Challenger SRT A8 392 drove, the power, sound, etc......And it is essentially the same car as a Hellcat without the 6.2 supercharged motor.....

But for some reason I got a lemon...there were several areas on the car where quality control was seriously lacking.

Back in a Camaro. I think the Camaro is a great car, but still has it's own shortcomings....

Both are great, but are now vastly different vehicles.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #69
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Vette View Post

If you want a "quick" car the A8 is the way to go. I'm speaking from experience as a MT 6speed owner. MUCH harder for me to go 10s in the 1/4 than my buddy with an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post

Back in a Camaro. I think the Camaro is a great car, but still has it's own shortcomings....
Can you expand on the above? I'm shopping a 2SS now. I'm keeping my Challenger though.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #70
alex_mia305

Drives: camaro 4th gen
Now if only they would come out with the chevy chevelle again ? that would for me, at least be the muscle car from chevy against the challenger.

dreams aside, if there was no camaro. dodge Challenger would definitely be my choice.(chevy loyal)

currently waiting for 1le,or zl1 possible versions.
alex_mia305 is offline   Reply With Quote