Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #29
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
Never really noticed anything with the climate controls being hard to reach: when I want to change temperature for driver or passenger for example, I just do it by voice command.

Mike
See with auto climate systems, I rarely touch the temp. Maybe a degree or two on a long trip. The seat climate controls are only on the touch screen. Makes no sense why there's not a physical button for them. I frequently only use my heated seats in winter, and will adjust them much more often than I would the temp.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #30
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCamaro View Post
Had the HUD on my Corvette. Never used it so I just turned it off. To each their own I guess. I also wondered what was up with his comment about Uconnect being more responsive. I've found it to be sluggish at best, and I always make sure to update to the latest firmware. Sluggishness aside though, I do think Uconnect is recognized as probably the best in the industry. Never really noticed anything with the climate controls being hard to reach: when I want to change temperature for driver or passenger for example, I just do it by voice command.

Mike
Funny thing is the HUD is the only thing I miss from my Camaro. As far as UConnect is concerned, most of the time it is great and responsive; however once in a while it is slow loading the Performance Pages, but everything else works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
See with auto climate systems, I rarely touch the temp. Maybe a degree or two on a long trip. The seat climate controls are only on the touch screen. Makes no sense why there's not a physical button for them. I frequently only use my heated seats in winter, and will adjust them much more often than I would the temp.
It would be nice to have a physical button for the heated/ventilated seats. However I am quite pleased with the fact that the heated seat and steering wheel turns on automatically at 40*F and below and the ventilated seats automatically turns on at 80*F and above.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #32
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
As someone who loves go fast sedans, I wanted a Charger Scat Pack badly. Well, that's a partial truth. I did want one, but that desire hasn't changed. It's more practical (although that's just in my head to prove I'm a responsible father, even though I have a family vehicle), and it's so freaking cool. As far as I'm concerned it has a better infotainment system (Uconnect vs MyLink) and it's just more "luxurious"...something I've always liked. But I also really like going fast. Of course, the reality is that I only see "twisties" at best once a year, and will probably only ever visit drag strips, not a road course / autox....so my situation is just pooped. I can't make up my mind. Throw some fat tires on the back of that Charger Scat Pack and that's one cool sedan. But you really have to be a sedan guy I guess...otherwise, it's not even an option. I personally can't stand the Challenger.
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #33
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
I have driven both the Scat pack and a Hellcat. Neither car can get the power to the road. Even the Scat pack is REAL easy to break the rear end loose. The Hellcat is just plain scary!

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #34
IntricateDetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
I have driven both the Scat pack and a Hellcat. Neither car can get the power to the road. Even the Scat pack is REAL easy to break the rear end loose. The Hellcat is just plain scary!
Well yea, if you want to get the most out of those cars, you buy them knowing you are going to have to invest in more rubber, and you hopefully can work that into your "deal" with the dealership. In other words, get them to go down enough on the price to compensate for it. Scat Pack has to be ordered, but you can still find them on the lots from people who ordered and didn't pick up.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #35
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
A 2.03 60' time is far from average, it's terrible. Something you would expect on a first outing in the car. People are running 1.7s and 1.8s in the 6th gen on stock tires. Shows you just how much the SP cars need tires to be effective.

The job of a reviewer is to be objective, not pick the one that works for his own personal reasons. That being said, he video was about his choice, so his opinion is valid. However, he does not seem to done enough research (talking about steering/exhaust in track mode but not knowing if can be adjusted, also not realizing the Challenger has an active exhaust as well). Abstract comments about feeling safer in the Challenger also seem to show he's not well informed on what makes the cars safe(size does not help). Everyone always mentions they can live without a HUD (heard the same thing on the BMW forums), until they have drove more than a day in a car with one. Then no one ever wants to get rid of it.

Also weird again someone mentions Uconnect is faster and he liked the NAV on it. Everyone else seems to disagree, including me. To me Uconnect is clunky and not very crisp. No touch gestures, Performance Pages takes 60 secs or more to load every time, no limited configurations for drive modes. No audio information displayed in the center display and tiny album art display on the main display. Some Climate control settings only in the touch screen which means multiple presses to reach (though not as bad as some Fords). The only thing I like about Uconnect is the Performance Pages, but I will never use them enough to offset it's downsides.
I used to get 2.03 60' times when I had a FWD regal GS on all seasons. It was a pretty decent (not great) 60' for THAT setup...LOL

What I mean by projecting his opinions on to everything, he completely downplayed every advantage of the Camaro and overplayed the slight advantages of the Challenger.

How can you put so much value in size over another car when the Camaro is clearly supposed to be a smaller car. It's not like minivan vs minivan here.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #36
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail View Post
As someone who loves go fast sedans, I wanted a Charger Scat Pack badly. Well, that's a partial truth. I did want one, but that desire hasn't changed. It's more practical (although that's just in my head to prove I'm a responsible father, even though I have a family vehicle), and it's so freaking cool. As far as I'm concerned it has a better infotainment system (Uconnect vs MyLink) and it's just more "luxurious"...something I've always liked. But I also really like going fast. Of course, the reality is that I only see "twisties" at best once a year, and will probably only ever visit drag strips, not a road course / autox....so my situation is just pooped. I can't make up my mind. Throw some fat tires on the back of that Charger Scat Pack and that's one cool sedan. But you really have to be a sedan guy I guess...otherwise, it's not even an option. I personally can't stand the Challenger.

So what in your opinion makes Uconnect better than myLink? Anything in particular? Also what makes the Charger SP feel more luxurious?

Quote:
Well yea, if you want to get the most out of those cars, you buy them knowing you are going to have to invest in more rubber, and you hopefully can work that into your "deal" with the dealership. In other words, get them to go down enough on the price to compensate for it. Scat Pack has to be ordered, but you can still find them on the lots from people who ordered and didn't pick up.
While a good idea, imagine what that extra money saved could get you in the Camaro with the same tactics. Also I've heard that wheel hop is unfortunately a common problem on the LX cars, to the point of breaking rear ends more often than not. There are fixes of course, but that means spending more money if you plan on regular trips to the strip. For a pure daily driver, don't think you would do enough launches to cause trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I used to get 2.03 60' times when I had a FWD regal GS on all seasons. It was a pretty decent (not great) 60' for THAT setup...LOL

What I mean by projecting his opinions on to everything, he completely downplayed every advantage of the Camaro and overplayed the slight advantages of the Challenger.

How can you put so much value in size over another car when the Camaro is clearly supposed to be a smaller car. It's not like minivan vs minivan here.
I agree but not sure if anyone noticed, the guy is coming from an older Charger and definitely is a MOPAR fan. That should tell everyone to take what he says with a grain of salt. To me if you are used to the size of the Charger, you shouldn't mention how small the Camaro is as negative. Because honestly you shouldn't be looking at a Camaro if you want something with size of the Charger. Not saying you can't cross shop, but if you are not willing to trade size for other attributes...then you are in the wrong car. But again it's his time he is wasting. He should have made a video of Challenger vs Charger to see if it's worth having or not having 2 extra doors for him.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #37
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
I haven't been in the new Camaro nor the 16-Scatpack but I will agree with everything he said based on my prior experience with the two. When I swapped out my modified 2010 SS to the 2012 392 Challenger it was night and day. The Challenger felt like the better car in every measurable way. It looked better, felt meaner, sounded better, was way more comfortable, and was faster.

Now the Camaro has gotten better and may be the faster of the two, but that Scatpack Challenger is just nasty in everyway. I can't wait to try out both cars. Great video.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #38
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Clearly, this person was focusing on comfort. If you have a family and older teenagers, I would agree the Camaro isn't the choice for you. If size, comfort, ride quality and those sorts of measures are your thing then the Challenger is your car. If you want a more visceral experience, love the ultimate in acceleration, road holding ability, joy of driving a sportier car, relative economy of purchase, fuel mileage and crowd appeal, the Camaro is your car. It would be like faulting the Corvette for not having a back seat.

You can't fault a person for personal preference appeal, however, the sales of the 2010 and newer Camaros clearly show the appeal it has in the muscle car market. To each his own.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #39
IntricateDetail

Quote:
So what in your opinion makes Uconnect better than myLink? Anything in particular?
1.) Uconnect is more responsive. Even on the Scat Pack, the options are more refined and extensive than on the Camaro. If you opt for the SRT, of course you get even more options in the "Performance Pages". But from the Scat Pack point of view, it's just more "complete" in my opinion. It feels like they have taken time to work out kinks too. Way too many comments already about MyLink not responding or getting hung up or causing issues. Yes, it's a first year car, and these are first year changes that should have patches coming soon, but it's all I have to go off of so far. I also think the "premium" beats audio sounds better in the Scat Pack than the premium audio in the Camaro...but that again is personal opinion, and has more to do with the audio itself than the infotainment system. I guess I bundle all that up into one.

Quote:
While a good idea, imagine what that extra money saved could get you in the Camaro with the same tactics. Also I've heard that wheel hop is unfortunately a common problem on the LX cars, to the point of breaking rear ends more often than not. There are fixes of course, but that means spending more money if you plan on regular trips to the strip. For a pure daily driver, don't think you would do enough launches to cause trouble.
2.) I don't know what it could get me to be honest. But I guess that's why I say different strokes for different folks. If I didn't like sedans, I wouldn't even look at the Scat Pack as I hate the way the Challenger looks. I love tech. I'm a techy in my day to day job, I'm a techy at home, and I'm a techy everywhere between. And heck, the Camaro has super awesome options that most cars don't have. Things like wireless cell charging and HUD and MRC and NPP....those are all really cool features and I love them...but at the end of the day, if I'm spending $50k for a car (Scat Pack and Camaro 2SS with most options)....I want it to be the right car.

Quote:
Also what makes the Charger SP feel more luxurious?
3.) Comfort to me is important. It's not all to all people. The Charger Scat Pack is comfortable. If you've sat in one, you know it. If you've driven one, you know it. But at the same time, the Camaro is comfortable to sit in as well. As in, the seats are comfortable. When it comes to the ride quality, I kind of have to agree with the guy in the video...but for the Charger Scat Pack. It feels like a full sized sports/luxury sedan. Whereas the Camaro doesn't really "settle" down. But hey, why should it? When I test drove a '16 2SS, it was like cruise really just meant go the same speed...it didn't mean settle down and get comfy for your long ride ahead. You could feel the bumps a lot more in the Camaro...and that's in tour mode. Not saying it was like driving an old '67....but it just had a very different presence....one most likely bred from the fact that the Camaro is now, very much a sports car, not a cruiser or a straight line car. That is very good for a lot of people. I just don't know if it's for me.

Thing is...I'm not saying it isn't for me...I just haven't made up my mind yet. I have loved Chevrolet since I was little kid...and what they've done with the Camaro and Corvette is amazing. I'm a huge fan of both cars, but I want to get the car that best fits my personality and driving style. Like you said, if I'm only at the track once a month or less...what's the point in solely focusing on track performance? Do I want quick? Yes. Do I want fast? Yes. But does it have to be the absolute best of both? No...because in 2 years, it won't be anyway...even if it is now. And I plan to enjoy my car for a lot longer than 2 years.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #40
SuperSound

Quote:
1.) Uconnect is more responsive. Even on the Scat Pack, the options are more refined and extensive than on the Camaro. If you opt for the SRT, of course you get even more options in the "Performance Pages". But from the Scat Pack point of view, it's just more "complete" in my opinion. It feels like they have taken time to work out kinks too. Way too many comments already about MyLink not responding or getting hung up or causing issues. Yes, it's a first year car, and these are first year changes that should have patches coming soon, but it's all I have to go off of so far. I also think the "premium" beats audio sounds better in the Scat Pack than the premium audio in the Camaro...but that again is personal opinion, and has more to do with the audio itself than the infotainment system. I guess I bundle all that up into one.

More responsive. I've seen this mentioned before but I would question as to what exactly is more responsive, touch, menus, voice recognition, steering wheel controls, etc... I've used three '16 8.4 Uconnects and one '16 myLink. I've seen a lack of touch response from all the Uconnects. Not as big an issue when sitting but when driving it causes you to have to divert your eyes to make sure the screen registered input. The most annoying things were Performance Pages takes 30-60 secs to load everytime, no audio information displayed in the center display, and lack of gestures (which is a huge fail for scrolling through playlists). Then there's the huge loss of not having CarPlay/AA. Hopefully FCA makes it a software update available to the '16 8.4 units. Also you may want to check out the Charger forums. Uconnect has it share of bugs and issues just like this new verison of myLink, difference is the 8.4 Uconnect has been through it's bug phase last year. They only recently fixed the bugs with the HK systems leading to terrible sound. Software bugs shouldn't be a concern for either side, they get fixed eventually. Missing software features should be.

2.) I don't know what it could get me to be honest. But I guess that's why I say different strokes for different folks. If I didn't like sedans, I wouldn't even look at the Scat Pack as I hate the way the Challenger looks. I love tech. I'm a techy in my day to day job, I'm a techy at home, and I'm a techy everywhere between. And heck, the Camaro has super awesome options that most cars don't have. Things like wireless cell charging and HUD and MRC and NPP....those are all really cool features and I love them...but at the end of the day, if I'm spending $50k for a car (Scat Pack and Camaro 2SS with most options)....I want it to be the right car.

To me both definitely scratch that "techy" itch. But the Camaro has an advantage with the HUD and the Charger with the excellent features of the Performance Pages. For me, the HUD is much more practical since Performance Pages may only get used a few times a month or at the track.

3.) Comfort to me is important. It's not all to all people. The Charger Scat Pack is comfortable. If you've sat in one, you know it. If you've driven one, you know it. But at the same time, the Camaro is comfortable to sit in as well. As in, the seats are comfortable. When it comes to the ride quality, I kind of have to agree with the guy in the video...but for the Charger Scat Pack. It feels like a full sized sports/luxury sedan. Whereas the Camaro doesn't really "settle" down. But hey, why should it? When I test drove a '16 2SS, it was like cruise really just meant go the same speed...it didn't mean settle down and get comfy for your long ride ahead. You could feel the bumps a lot more in the Camaro...and that's in tour mode. Not saying it was like driving an old '67....but it just had a very different presence....one most likely bred from the fact that the Camaro is now, very much a sports car, not a cruiser or a straight line car. That is very good for a lot of people. I just don't know if it's for me.

Thing is...I'm not saying it isn't for me...I just haven't made up my mind yet. I have loved Chevrolet since I was little kid...and what they've done with the Camaro and Corvette is amazing. I'm a huge fan of both cars, but I want to get the car that best fits my personality and driving style. Like you said, if I'm only at the track once a month or less...what's the point in solely focusing on track performance? Do I want quick? Yes. Do I want fast? Yes. But does it have to be the absolute best of both? No...because in 2 years, it won't be anyway...even if it is now. And I plan to enjoy my car for a lot longer than 2 years.

I think a lot of the comfort of the LX cars is the chassis, it simply is not very rigid. This allows it to soak up the road surfaces and not translate them to the seat and wheel. This is exactly the opposite the Camaro. Which is why people who drive both are polarized about how they feel. Those looking for the subdued ride (the cruiser) love the LX cars. Those who like the Camaro mention how tight it feels, how they feel exactly what the car is doing (they are part of the driving experience). It truly is sports car vs gran touring. It doesn't mean one can't handle and the other does, it just shows two very different driving experiences. With that being said, I've driven both. The standard SS suspension did not feel any harsher than the SP in terms of potholes and ruts in the road. But the stiffer car will always translate the road surface more than a car with a less rigid structure. I like the Camaro's ride, it made me feel connected. The Charger felt like my 328i, capable but very subdued from the environment.

My comments are in red.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #41
IntricateDetail

Quote:
My comments are in red.
Thanks for the responses. I feel like we are both on the same page. I will say, in regards to UConnect and Performance Pages...yes, it takes forever to load. That would be the menu that I would say makes you feel like the system is archaic because if you don't realize what all it's doing in the background you can feel like it's some old Windows 3.11 box or something. Either way, I agree with most of what you said and I think I'll just have to go drive them both again come April/May and figure out which I prefer.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #42
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
... then the Challenger is your car. If you want a more visceral experience, love the ultimate in acceleration, road holding ability, joy of driving a sportier car, relative economy of purchase, fuel mileage and crowd appeal, the Camaro is your car.
Out of all the modern cars I've had I got the most crowd appeal in my 2010 Challenger SRT8 than my 2006, 10, 13 Mustang GT or 2012 Camaro SS combined. Strangely enough I get quite a bit of crowd appeal with my 2014 SS Sedan, probably because most don't know what it is or think it's a Malibu and it has the meanest sounding startup stock than anything I've owned. The 2016 Camaro SS sounds almost as good. I see a 2017 Camaro in my future....

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote