Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
Looking for some advice on road trip...

I am planning on taking a long road trip this summer in my Camaro with my best bud Harley (my dog), actually doing some things on my bucket list and it looks like I will putting about 4000 miles round trip on the car...
My question is this, since we don't have a spare tire in our rides I am seriously thinking about putting a spare tire I have in my trunk with a small jack so at least I have some piece of mind if something does happen while I am on the road... I know I will be losing valuable space for storage but I sure would feel a lot safer knowing that if I'm out in BFE somewhere and get a flat at least I can take care of it without having to call road service and pay who knows how much... What do you think, am I being too paranoid???

Road trip plans: OH to Denver, CO to Grand Junction, CO to Salt Lake City, UT to Twin Falls, ID to Billings, MT to Grand Fork, SD back to OH... Plan on taking several side road trips and staying off the Interstate as much as possible once I am out west...
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I don't think you are being too paranoid. My tire guy actually suggested I pick up a spare wheel and tire just in case. That is a lot of driving and its better to be over prepared then not prepared at all.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'll be driving from North Dakota to Florida and back in July. Didn't even think about the spare tire.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I'm going from Pennsylvania down to Clearwater, FL in a month......I have full AAA coverage, so I'm cool.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
You can always pick up one of these full size spare kits and maybe a portable air compressor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2017-C...NaV3X-&vxp=mtr

I would also carry some coolant, and a couple quarts of oil just in case.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Not paranoid, they make lightweight spares that would fit down in the tire well.

Plenty more stuff to bring too. In my trunk of my DD or any long road trip car:

Fire extinguisher
Window breaker/seat belt cutter tool
12 volt small inflator
tire plug kit make sure plugs and rubber cement is fresh
small tool kit
first aid kit

When on a long road trip, if you carry that stuff chances are you won't need it. But...you may just see someone else's misfortune that you can help with.

I had one long road trip a few years ago used all that stuff on various incidents that I happened across. A nail in a tire in a hotel parking lot.. bust out the plug kit, 15 mins your back on the road.

I look at most that stuff as defense against Murphy's law. I carry a fire extinguisher in all my cars and have never used one on my cars. But have on other's misfortunate car fires...peeps with no extinguisher in their trunk.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Have taken several cross country trips in both the Camaro & Corvette without a spare. Never worry about it, have roadside coverage with my insurance and carry a small repair (quick plug) kit & pump
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Performance Spares bro. I did a big roadtrip and got a flat in Colorado. Good thing I had the spare to baby it back to a nearby town.

https://performancespare.com/?route=...facturer_id=13
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I appreciate all the responses, will check into the optional spare tire kit for our cars, didn't know they made them... I also have roadside assistant through my insurance but I am basically looking at several drives where I will be way out in the middle of nowhere, not sure what kind of cell reception you can get in the mountains but I'm guessing it ain't good... Just trying to prevent getting stranded somewhere with a flat tire is all, thanks!!!
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
The section of I-70 west from Denver to Grand Junction will probably have very sparse cell phone reception. From Grand Junction to Salt Lake you will have cell reception within 10-15 miles of the towns--and there are only a few out there. Utah has 85 mph speed limit on I-70, but make sure you stop for fuel if you're at or below half tank--there are sections of highway with 100-150 miles between gas stations! I was raised there; never left home without extra gas and water (water for car and people!).
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
The section of I-70 west from Denver to Grand Junction will probably have very sparse cell phone reception. From Grand Junction to Salt Lake you will have cell reception within 10-15 miles of the towns--and there are only a few out there. Utah has 85 mph speed limit on I-70, but make sure you stop for fuel if you're at or below half tank--there are sections of highway with 100-150 miles between gas stations! I was raised there; never left home without extra gas and water (water for car and people!).
THIS!

I never knew this was a thing until I drove through the Dakotas.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I put one of my original wheel/tires in the trunk during my road trip lat summer. If it's just you and the pooch, you'll have enough room in the back seat I would think
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have sometimes brought a full size spare strapped down in the trunk, along with a jack, lug wrench, and chocks.

The full size spare takes up most of the trunk and when strapped down, blocks the rest, so that duffle bags have to be stored by lowering the rear seat back.

I have to admit that sometimes I go without a spare. I have never had a flat in my 2010, after 60,000 miles, but I still worry about a gashed tire from debris, and then waiting in some small town for a replacement.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I'll take a spare tire over a CAI and some of this other mods any day. As soon as it gets warm I'm going to spring for the spare tire kit. Yes, I have AAA and a cell phone but if you hit a pothole and it damages the tire AND the wheel, the inflator and AAA aren't going to help a bit if you're in the middle of nowhere. You might even want to spring for an inexpensive small floor jack for long trips. It won't take up much room and will make things a lot easier if you have to deal with a flat. I'd also toss a fire extinguisher and a small tool kit in like someone else posted. It amazes me that people don't keep at least a screwdriver and adjustable grip pliers and a flashlight in their cars.

Have fun on your trip. I've made several cross country car trips and they are great. Eastern Colorado is kind of boring (unless it's lightening) but once you get to Denver it's beautiful. Try to get off the interstates when you can and see some sites.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote