Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
a telecom guy?

maybe we'll be able to walkie-talkie between Camaros.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
Hm..

Not so thrilled with his track record..
Apparently GM's Board of Directors are though.

Give the guy a break, he's only ran one company into bankruptcy so far.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Apparently GM's Board of Directors are though.

Give the guy a break, he's only ran one company into bankruptcy so far.
Is that all?

I for one welcome our new previous failure overlords
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
He did an AMAZING job at Nextel though, and Whitacre's track record certainly isn't without flaw either. He led SBC through the AT&T and BellSouth mergers and network cost-cutting measures that have led to the countless issue's with AT&T's wireless network.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
He did an AMAZING job at Nextel though, and Whitacre's track record certainly isn't without flaw either. He led SBC through the AT&T and BellSouth mergers and network cost-cutting measures that have led to the countless issue's with AT&T's wireless network.
When I first heard whitacre was going to become CEO at GM i was dreading the possible outcomes. I think he has everything moving in the right direction now though.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Did Whitacre give any reason for his leaving the company? I seriously hate to see such a good leader such as this go.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
I am surprised

I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that the current CEO of GM is stepping down, and I guy from outside the business (Carlyle, private equity) is stepping in. Will streamline and shrink the company. I will say I am a bit concerned about the future growth of the Camaro, specifically anything beyond the 2011 model year, including the Z28....
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged2SS View Post
I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that the current CEO of GM is stepping down, and I guy from outside the business (Carlyle, private equity) is stepping in. Will streamline and shrink the company. I will say I am a bit concerned about the future growth of the Camaro, specifically anything beyond the 2011 model year, including the Z28....
I wouldn't worry too much about THAT...Whitacre (current CEO) was outside of the Industry as well...seeking to shrink and streamline. Same goals....I'm more curious what's with all the hot-potato CEOs, lately....I hope this guy has a head on his shoulders and stays for more than a few months....

EDIT: I moved the thread and here's the article link:

Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #23
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Cancelling the G8 and Solstice (along with the whole Pontiac division) may have been the dumbest thing GM has ever done. They could have phased out the division and folded those cars into Chevy, for example. Imagine 3 Chevy convertible coupes for all price points.

But I don't think any CEO will get rid of a profitable car like the Camaro. That would be even dumber.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
a_Username

Quote:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100157

Just saying...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Did Whitacre give any reason for his leaving the company? I seriously hate to see such a good leader such as this go.
He really doesn't want the job, and that was what he said when he took it. I really hate to see him go too.

The Free Press is reporting that the board wanted him to commit to a time frame to stay on after the IPO and he would not, so they replaced him in anticipation of the IPO that is coming soon...
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #26
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
The word is he made a statement at an industry show that "being know as GM - "Government Motors" was hurting sales. It is thought that he was asked to leave by the Obama administration.

Bad timing when you have an IPO coming out, but the government has never really been that smart when it comes to business matters. Instability at the top does not breed confidence in the market.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
a_Username

Well that's the best reason to leave. If he doesn't want the job, then he simply doesn't want the job. I wonder if he worried about his reputation, rather or not this reputation was misguided or not, enough to leave? I'm sure there are many reasons, but hopefully this Akerson can get us through the IPO with flying colors.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
The word is he made a statement at an industry show that being know as GM (Government Motors) was hurting sales. It is thought that he was asked to leave by the Obama administration.

Bad timing when you have an IPO coming out, but the government has never really been that smart when it comes to business matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Well that's the best reason to leave. If he doesn't want the job, then he simply doesn't want the job. I wonder if he worried about his reputation, rather or not this reputation was misguided or not, enough to leave? I'm sure there are many reasons, but hopefully this Akerson can get us through the IPO with flying colors.