Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
hairzee

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
DT Shorty, JBA Shorty or Dont Bother?

Maryland Speed has DT ceramic header for $475. Does anyone have any experience with these headers or the JBA? I currently have JBA high flow cats and thought maybe the JBA shorty would bolt up to those better.... but they are running $625 for the ceramic. :(

I know LT's are better, but its easier to change two cats if I am going to the dealership for warranty work or have to get a smog inspection.

Someday, I would have liked to install a Jannetty cam and I know LT's would be better.... but I dont think his cams will pass CA smog inspection either??... so thats just another reason why I am thinking shorty would be fine for what I have. ?
2010 SS, CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LT with high flow cats, Pfadt Sways and Springs, Lloyds Mats, Magnaflow 3"cat back, Ported TB, JRE tune, Rx Catch Can, Forgestar F14, BMR subframe, BMR 4point strut brace.
hairzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
if you have to run shorties.... then DT with highflow catted midpipes, but if anyone from cali chimes in and says you can pass emissions with longs and cats then go that route.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If you want to get the shorties than the DTs should be fine, but that being said. Almost everyone I know who got shorties ended up switching to LTs after a while.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
LT headers are technically illegal here in cali. it's not the headers themselves, it's the cats. the california rule is that you cannot move or replace your cats (except under certain very strict conditions). LT headers require you to move the cats, therefore, illegal, so no one bothers to CARB certify them

this really comes down to a money versus preference decision. if your preference is just to improve sound, then go with the shorty headers. if your preference is horsepower (which is seems like it is because of the cam), then go LT because the shorty's won't do crap.

but if you have the money to put shorty's on now, and then swap to LT headers later with a cam, then do it. but it seems like a waste of money to get shorty's now just to replace them later on with LT headers.

as for smog, you don't have to do that until 2016 so why worry now? i don't know if cats will void warranty, but the LT headers will void the warranty if you get a tune, which you should get.

i don't think the cam would give you smog issues, but it's held back if you don't do LT headers too. you should talk to Chris at 2 Edge Performance about this: (949) 645-4533. they're here in orange county and they're having an open house august 27th. you should go and ask some questions, hear some exhausts.

i have the JBA LT headers, in case you want to hear them. another guy on here, TaylorRyanSS, has the JBA shorty's.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I read a thread in here where the shorties were worth 1 hp. Not 10....1. If that's true...not worth it. Really not even worth it if they made 10 more hp.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
hairzee

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Electlatino,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I just got off the phone with Chris, very knowledgable, and he stated the same rationale as you. If you want the most from your mods ie. cam SC etc... then LT's are the only way.

To me, its a kind of shit or get off the pot situation. If you are going to go for more HP then you need LT's a tune and all those other things that void warranties and and dont pass smog.

Gonna have to think on this some more. I am going to stop by the open house on the 27th and see if I can find my balls and just go for it.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post
LT headers are technically illegal here in cali. it's not the headers themselves, it's the cats. the california rule is that you cannot move or replace your cats (except under certain very strict conditions). LT headers require you to move the cats, therefore, illegal, so no one bothers to CARB certify them

this really comes down to a money versus preference decision. if your preference is just to improve sound, then go with the shorty headers. if your preference is horsepower (which is seems like it is because of the cam), then go LT because the shorty's won't do crap.

but if you have the money to put shorty's on now, and then swap to LT headers later with a cam, then do it. but it seems like a waste of money to get shorty's now just to replace them later on with LT headers.

as for smog, you don't have to do that until 2016 so why worry now? i don't know if cats will void warranty, but the LT headers will void the warranty if you get a tune, which you should get.

i don't think the cam would give you smog issues, but it's held back if you don't do LT headers too. you should talk to Chris at 2 Edge Performance about this: (949) 645-4533. they're here in orange county and they're having an open house august 27th. you should go and ask some questions, hear some exhausts.

i have the JBA LT headers, in case you want to hear them. another guy on here, TaylorRyanSS, has the JBA shorty's.
2010 SS, CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8 LT with high flow cats, Pfadt Sways and Springs, Lloyds Mats, Magnaflow 3"cat back, Ported TB, JRE tune, Rx Catch Can, Forgestar F14, BMR subframe, BMR 4point strut brace.
hairzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairzee View Post
Electlatino,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I just got off the phone with Chris, very knowledgable, and he stated the same rationale as you. If you want the most from your mods ie. cam SC etc... then LT's are the only way.

To me, its a kind of shit or get off the pot situation. If you are going to go for more HP then you need LT's a tune and all those other things that void warranties and and dont pass smog.

Gonna have to think on this some more. I am going to stop by the open house on the 27th and see if I can find my balls and just go for it.

Thanks again.
You know what would be Awsome? To lay something to rest also...dyno you car as is....with the Jba mid pipes. Then put your long tubes on and dyno again....tune unchanged. I'd be interested to see. Or, go run it at the track, then put long tubes on and go run it again. I know I'd be pissed as hell if I only picked up a tenth. What do you figure long tubes are worth over the mid pipes? Anyone?
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
HP Addicts

Drives: N/A
In my personal experience shorties have never been worth the money, I would say get some long tubes or stick with the stock manifolds.
HP Addicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
dont waste the money on shorties, not worth it.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you can find a way to get long tubes in Cali I'd hold out for them!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Ceramic coated short headers do give some benefits. They will lower the temperature under the hood and they weigh less. Both improve performance. People spend more on cat-back systems with no performance benefit other than weight savings.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
10SIL2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2SS LS3
Quote:
Maryland Speed has DT ceramic header for $475. Does anyone have any experience with these headers or the JBA? I currently have JBA high flow cats and thought maybe the JBA shorty would bolt up to those better.... but they are running $625 for the ceramic. :(

I know LT's are better, but its easier to change two cats if I am going to the dealership for warranty work or have to get a smog inspection.

Someday, I would have liked to install a Jannetty cam and I know LT's would be better.... but I dont think his cams will pass CA smog inspection either??... so thats just another reason why I am thinking shorty would be fine for what I have. ?
I got a set of JBA 1812SJS Silver Ceramic coated shorties for sale. 400 miles on them.New gaskets.Look like new.420 shipped.PM if interested.
10 Silver Ice LS3,Inferno Orange Int, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers w/High flo-cats,Vararam,Vmax TB,160 T-Stat,Flowmaster AMT Cat-back,TSP Underdrive Pulley,Granatelli Wires,Hurst Short throw,Mike Norris Motorsports Tune,3.91 Gears/Built Diff by RPM Transmissions Anderson IN,SLP SS badging with rear black-out panel. 409.7 RWHP 461.0 RWTQ
10SIL2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

If you're worried about smog, don't buy anything that doesn't have a CARB number attached to it, literally. Having been through the process many times, I can tell you from experience that if you don't have tags with matching CARB numbers (and that also means that CARB number matches the rest of your car) and you get pulled over and the officer asks to pop your hood, you could be in for a fine up to $250. I believe those DTs and Edelbrocks have tags afixed to the primaries that have the CARB number, and if the officer sees that, he can't say anything about it. The same goes with cats' or anything else. I recently had to replace a cat' on my truck the previous owner replaced many years ago. Because, at the time, that generic converter was acceptable, there was no problem smogging two years ago. Just last month, I went to the same guy, and he looked for the "D" code for the exemption number, and he had to fail me because the newer cat' laws say all replacement cats' have to have exemption numbers. I was pissed, but that's how crappy this state is.

My point is, is just about all these posts are correct. You'll be lucky to find much, if any, performance improvement with shorties. There are a few reports of relatively good power, but overall, the only benefits are sound. If you don't care about the money (up to $250 fines) save for the LTs and do the exhaust only once. If you don't want to worry about smog-stuff, just leave anything that doesn't have a number. It's your money

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote