Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Beaver Creek

Drives: 2011 Camaro Synergy II
Tires for 21" wheels.

I have a 2011 2LT RS Synergy Edition with the 21" wheels, and I really don't want to pay for Pirelli replacement tires. Best I can tell Pirelli makes the only direct replacement. That would be 245/40-21, and 275/35-21.

I found some Hankook in 245/35-21, and 275/30-21 and am looking for some advice on these, or any other suggestions that may work, and still give me a decent tire. I do like to play on the curvy roads when I can.

The Hankook tires are less in diameter than the Pirelli, so I know my speedometer will read a little faster, and I'll lose a little mileage, neither of which will be much of an issue, I think.

Hoping for some of your input.

Thanks,

Lee
Beaver Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
I feel your pain . I was all set up to buy the 21 inch OEM wheels , found a great deal on them $600.00 shipped for the set of 4 . I was thinking whats wrong with this picture.

Then I went looking for Tires . All I found was the Pirelli's . And the cost was $2,084 .00 Plus $60.00 shipping cost . Sorry I said no way I am paying $2,100 for a set of tires that only last around 20,000 miles..

So I went down to the 20 inch wheels & tires , Found a sweet deal , all 4 wheels , with tires mounting & balanced & shipped for $1,790...

That sounds a lot better investment to me ..

Hope you can find a good deal .
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Beaver Creek

Thanks Bio.

I thought about going to a 20" or even a 22" wheel, but since my Camaro is a Synergy, I want to keep the stock look.

I just don't know much about these Hankook tires, and it worries me a bit to be going to bit smaller sidewall.

The Hankook tires have a better rating on Tire Rack than the Pirelli tires, so if I don't get any more feedback, I'll probably give them a try.

Who would have thunk a 21" tire would be such a PITA?

Lee
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Creek View Post
Thanks Bio.

I thought about going to a 20" or even a 22" wheel, but since my Camaro is a Synergy, I want to keep the stock look.

I just don't know much about these Hankook tires, and it worries me a bit to be going to bit smaller sidewall.

The Hankook tires have a better rating on Tire Rack than the Pirelli tires, so if I don't get any more feedback, I'll probably give them a try.

Who would have thunk a 21" tire would be such a PITA?

Lee
Hey Lee , I feel your pain, like I said when I found set of 21's for $650 SHIPPED.I tough I hit the jack pot. Then I figured out why everyone sells the 21's ,Tire cost.

As for the smaller sidewalls , whe I got my new set up the guy told me ,that the smaller side wall would only be an issue if you were going a lot of auto cross or traks. Also watching out for pot holes or ruff roads. So you don't blow the side wall. Then again I see a lot of low profile tires on cars , guess that would be the same.

I would try most anything over the PirellI due to not much tread wear. Don't get me wrong love them on the car & the ride. more a summer only tire & they don't like any cold . Just myself wanted a set of tires to last around 5 years this time.

Good luck in your dessions.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Yeah best bet is to go with the lower sidewall size and go with the Hankooks. Sure it's not 100% OEM fitment, but it's better than paying $2000+ for a new set of tires.

We're a Hankook dealer, we've got the Hankook ventus V12 Evo 2 tires in 245/35/21 and 275/30/21 for $864.06 + Shipping, $50 less than Tire Rack has them so if you want a set, let me know
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Yeah best bet is to go with the lower sidewall size and go with the Hankooks. Sure it's not 100% OEM fitment, but it's better than paying $2000+ for a new set of tires.

We're a Hankook dealer, we've got the Hankook ventus V12 Evo 2 tires in 245/35/21 and 275/30/21 for $864.06 + Shipping, $50 less than Tire Rack has them so if you want a set, let me know
Wow that sounds like a good deal, Wish I would of found these when I was going for the 21 inch wheels. I would of tried them..
Old 02-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Beaver Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post

Hey thanks.

Could you PM me your contact information?

Lee
Old 02-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Beaver Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO-HAZARD View Post
...I would of tried them..
Bio,

Believe it or not, I have 37,000 miles on the Pirelli OEM tires. One might think I wouldn't need a good performing tire, but some of the time I like to push it if I have the chance. There is a cool road course not too far from here. The Pirelli's stuck good, when they were good.

And I would have to say that the good handling of the Camaro has kept me out of two or three situations that could have been bad, in everyday driving, thanks to some idiots...

I don't want to lose any of that.

BTW, you have a good looking car. I really like that color.

Lee
Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Group-A Wheels
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
We are a big Toyo distributor and have an excellent special on 21" T1R going at the moment. Send us a PM, I am sure we can help you save money and get something high quality on your car.
Group-A Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #10
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Bio,

Believe it or not, I have 37,000 miles on the Pirelli OEM tires. One might think I wouldn't need a good performing tire, but some of the time I like to push it if I have the chance. There is a cool road course not too far from here. The Pirelli's stuck good, when they were good.

And I would have to say that the good handling of the Camaro has kept me out of two or three situations that could have been bad, in everyday driving, thanks to some idiots...

I don't want to lose any of that.

BTW, you have a good looking car. I really like that color.

Lee
Hey Lee, that's amazing on getting that many miles on the P zeros, I only have a under 15,000 on mine , the soul get 25,000 . Due to being a good boy. I think It was an excess for me to move up to the 20 inch wheels , so I had to replace the tires als. Im a little worried about the Genearly G Max being a all seasonal tire , I here good & bad about them . But The price was right... Looking forward to hearing they work out for you , good luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #11
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395211

I have some 20" wheels for sale if interested
H/C + Bolt-ons + Tune •485RWHP/435RWTQ•
Full BMR Stage 2&3 Suspension
3.91 1LE Gear Diff Swap
MGW Short Throw Shifter
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I have a 2011 2LT RS Synergy Edition with the 21" wheels, and I really don't want to pay for Pirelli replacement tires. Best I can tell Pirelli makes the only direct replacement. That would be 245/40-21, and 275/35-21.

I found some Hankook in 245/35-21, and 275/30-21 and am looking for some advice on these, or any other suggestions that may work, and still give me a decent tire. I do like to play on the curvy roads when I can.

The Hankook tires are less in diameter than the Pirelli, so I know my speedometer will read a little faster, and I'll lose a little mileage, neither of which will be much of an issue, I think.

Hoping for some of your input.

Thanks,

Lee
The tires that you're thinking about using are significantly smaller in terms of load capacity than your OE sizes. If you do get the Hankooks, plan on running them at inflation pressures that are slightly higher than what your car's door sticker recommends in order to maintain your tires' actual rated load. There are tables that give the actual rated load for each Load Index number and psi of inflation pressure above 23 psi up to the limits for SL (36) or XL (42).

I'm thinking maybe 3 - 5 psi higher will be enough unless you're driving around fully loaded to the vehicle's GVW capacity (in which case I'd add 5 - 7 psi).

I think the edit to this post got caught in Camaro5's daily 8 AM outage.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO-HAZARD View Post
Wow that sounds like a good deal, Wish I would of found these when I was going for the 21 inch wheels. I would of tried them..
Yeah not bad considering they're 21" tires

Quote:
Hey thanks.

Could you PM me your contact information?

Lee
You can PM me directly if you like or you can send me an email. All my contact info is in my signature but due to form rules if it's not my own sales thread technically I'm not allowed to post that information up otherwise I'll get in trouble with the admins.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
Beaver Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The tires that you're thinking about using are significantly smaller in terms of load capacity than your OE sizes. If you do get the Hankooks, plan on running them at inflation pressures that are slightly higher than what your car's door sticker recommends in order to maintain your tires' actual rated load. There are tables that give the actual rated load for each Load Index number and psi of inflation pressure above 23 psi up to the limits for SL (36) or XL (42).

I'm thinking maybe 3 - 5 psi higher will be enough unless you're driving around fully loaded to the vehicle's GVW capacity (in which case I'd add 5 - 7 psi).

I think the edit to this post got caught in Camaro5's daily 8 AM outage.

Norm
Hey thanks Norm,

The Tire Rack site shows the load range for each tire to be XL.

Am I missing something?

Lee