Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
cregship

Drives: 2010 CHEVROLET CAMARO SS RED
CAT BACK VS AXLE BACK

Hey everyone ,
I would like everyone's opinion on whether to go with the Catback or Axle back exhaust. I know that the Axleback is the less expensive but I want to know if their is a Horse power advantage with either install or if their is alot of drone with either one. Thanks in advance for your responses.
cregship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Go catback if you want over 2.5" pipe for the most of the exhaust system , if your ok with 2.5" pipes axle back is all you need. If you go 2.5" cat back it's a waste of money compared to axle back kit , 2.5" is good for 600whp 3" is for over 600whp
Old 04-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i had zero drone with my borla cat back..it was perfect..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
BlazeNGlory

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Minimal to no drone with the Magnaflow axleback exhaust. Didn't notice any performance gains .
Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Pfadt Balance Rear Sway Bar, BMR End Links, Cadillac ATS Front Brembo 4-Piston Brakes, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, VMAX Ice-olator, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Magnaflow Axle-Back Exhaust, JEGS Exhaust Cutouts, GM Strut Tower Brace, Hurst Comp Shifter, Heritage Front Grill, 3D Carbon Front Air Dam, T-Rex Lower Billet Grill, 3D Carbon Front Vendor Vents, 20x9 OEM Polished RS/SS Wheels Front & Rear
BlazeNGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Zero difference in performance.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
prod

Drives: HHR
If you want performance gain then its full exhaust with headers. If you want more sound then get the axle back.
I don't see the value in a catback while keeping the stock exhaust manifolds, other than losing the ugly resonator.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
I went Magnaflow axle back for 2 reasons. The previous owner had done a muffler delete and I didn't like the sound so I spoke to my mechanic and he wanted to do cat backs for about $1200. I found a muffler guy and he suggested oval axle back ... for about $350. Don't know about increase in HP but it sounds better...not much drone either. Hi flow cats may help but I'll defer to someone who knows what they're talking about. It really depends on your preference but now I have money left for a CAI and a catch can.
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote