Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Adriangarza40

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/LS3
2014 SS M6 trans noise

My car is making a whining, grindy type of noise when in gear in 3rd,4th,5th,and 6th. it whines like when a diff is going out but quieter. I push down the clutch and the noise goes away. No noise in neutral.

I have never powershifted my car nor do i get on it too much. I did have my radiator replaced recently and i know that there are trans cooler lines going into it. Maybe those fittings leaked? Are those type of noises associated to running a trans with low oil? my trans temps are fine but im scared to drive it to the shop if im running it dry
Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The manual transmission does not have a cooler.

If the enough fluid has leaked out to make a difference, the leak should be obvious, unless you are new to the car and someone cleaned up the evidence in order to scam you.

Another possibility is that someone put in the wrong fluid.

It always helps to state your car's history when asking for advice.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Throw out bearing?
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Adriangarza40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The manual transmission does not have a cooler.

If the enough fluid has leaked out to make a difference, the leak should be obvious, unless you are new to the car and someone cleaned up the evidence in order to scam you.

Another possibility is that someone put in the wrong fluid.

It always helps to state your car's history when asking for advice.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263512 in that thread it shows the M6 SS has lines going from the trans to the radiator.

and I dont know the signs of a bad throw out bearing, im working out of town until thursday so thats when im getting the car on stands and looking for leaks and changing trans fluid
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriangarza40 View Post
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263512 in that thread it shows the M6 SS has lines going from the trans to the radiator.

and I dont know the signs of a bad throw out bearing, im working out of town until thursday so thats when im getting the car on stands and looking for leaks and changing trans fluid
ZL1 and 1LE may have a manual trans cooler, but not the SS. Which of these is yours? Or did your SS get upgraded after market?

If upgraded, I would suspect wrong trans fluid.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
ZL1 and 1LE may have a manual trans cooler, but not the SS. Which of these is yours? Or did your SS get upgraded after market?

If upgraded, I would suspect wrong trans fluid.
Man get your facts straight. All M6 cars have a trans cooler complete with a pump to circulate oil to through a heat exchanger in the rad. It also aids in warming the trans in cold weather.
I do agree it could be the wrong or low or no oil in the trans.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Adriangarza40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankSS View Post
Man get your facts straight. All M6 cars have a trans cooler complete with a pump to circulate oil to through a heat exchanger in the rad. It also aids in warming the trans in cold weather.
I do agree it could be the wrong or low or no oil in the trans.
The link i supplied must not have worked lol I bought my car with 20k miles and never changed it. Im at 40k now. Im gonna changing out the fluid before i start ordering a rebuild kit. Fingers crossed its just a leak at the fitting
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
This may sound weird but I had a similar noise and it would always go away when pressing on the clutch pedal so I thought for sure that it had to be an internal bearing. Even the dealership told me it was the pilot bearing (which our vehicles do not have) and so they replaced every bearing in my trans at about 15k, still had the noise.

Turns out it was a simply rubber bushing under the shifter. It could just be that noise, although without a video with sound it's really hard to tell. To be honest though, it sounded exactly like a pilot bearing does on its way out. If it sounds like a bearing it just might be that. Took me and the dealership about 5 trips to figure it out.

-EDIT-
The part is actually built into the shifter assembly, but if I remember correctly the dealership recommends to just rebuild it. I would just upgrade with a new aftermarket shifter assembly, as mine started making the same noise again soon afterwards, but not as badly.

Last edited by TommyTheCat; 10-17-2018 at 02:29 PM.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Adriangarza40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
This may sound weird but I had a similar noise and it would always go away when pressing on the clutch pedal so I thought for sure that it had to be an internal bearing. Even the dealership told me it was the pilot bearing (which our vehicles do not have) and so they replaced every bearing in my trans at about 15k, still had the noise.

Turns out it was a simply rubber bushing under the shifter. It could just be that noise, although without a video with sound it's really hard to tell. To be honest though, it sounded exactly like a pilot bearing does on its way out. If it sounds like a bearing it just might be that. Took me and the dealership about 5 trips to figure it out.

-EDIT-
The part is actually built into the shifter assembly, but if I remember correctly the dealership recommends to just rebuild it. I would just upgrade with a new aftermarket shifter assembly, as mine started making the same noise again soon afterwards, but not as badly.
Thanks man if it doesn't go away with a fluid change then ill get video for you. I kissed my warranty goodbye a few months ago and im trying to be as cautious as i can to avoid cooking the trans. I'll give you guys an update tomorrow on what i find.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Adriangarza40

Update: it was the differential. Leaked out all the oil through the front seal and cooked the bearings, and im sure damaged the gears. I was involved in an accident a month ago and im thinking that may have been the root cause of the issue. Hopefully insurance pays up
Old 12-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #11
porkrind
Unapologetically American

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Which rubber bushing?

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but this is the exact info I'm looking for. I'm having this exact same thing happen in my 2010 SS LS3/M6 with 21,000 miles. What rubber bushing are you referencing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post

-EDIT-