Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtisp View Post
are the inside coated as well?
You know what...I have no idea. I didn't even look. lmao

I'll take a look at em again when I install the Catback next week.

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
J Lambert

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just looked at their web site and there are $936. I'm sure you can find them a little cheaper somewhere else. For the $750 and being ceramic coated that's a deal.

It looks like they don't have a catted version though. Hopefully they'll come out with one soon.

Not sure if this is what was done but it looks as though they took their shorty header and added and extension piece to make them into LT headers. Maybe that's part of the reason they don't have as much HP as the others?

Loving the comptetion coming out to help bring down some of these prices.
I got mine from Herron Performance on this site. $635 shipped to me.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #17
J Lambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
very nice! Do you throw any codes with the cats gone? or need a tune? I want to put headers on before my warranty is up, but I don't want to void it by the ECM tattling on me.
Yes it throws a 420 and 430 code. Nothing that a HPTuner can't take care of though.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
J Lambert

Karma I got mine six months ago and I absolutely feel the same way. Very easy install, top quality, looks great, and sounds even better.

All around great purchase!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50398
Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #19
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Prolly erased it for some prono flicks.

-Ivan

Made me laugh. I have a 13 yo and i'll be damned if he gets a smart phone anytime soon.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Made me laugh. I have a 13 yo and i'll be damned if he gets a smart phone anytime soon.
Telling you, kids are smarter than us and know how to get around us. They'll figure it out.

On another note, I have no news on the Catted piece as of yet. I'm definitely keeping in touch and wanting to see it since it would be sweet to see some of y'all get the LT's and cat em. Would be interesting.

Averaged 24.8 MPG from ABQ to PHX with cruise set like 75% of the ride.

That's not too bad for the LS3. From Flagstaff to PHX we got 27.4 but that's because it's pretty much all downhill. And the wife was driving...she took all the credit. LOL

I've seen mileage go up about 1-2 MPG on a tank average so far. Nothing to write home about but I definitely thought that it would go down with all the "heavy footing" since the install.

Working on the video now. Hope to post later today.

Edit....Here is the first video:

Thanks again fellas,
Ivan

Last edited by Ivan @ Southwest Speed; 03-21-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
wbt
Account Suspended

Sounds good just for headers alone. Looking forward to hearing the cat-back combo.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Sounds good just for headers alone. Looking forward to hearing the cat-back combo.
Right on man! Thanks! Hook up a rate!! lol

I can't wait either. Gonna sound totally different. You can hear it being held up in the lower RPM range.

Woot!
-Ivan
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
SPANKT U

Drives: 2010 2SSRS Inferno Orange LS3
Quote:

Not sure if this is what was done but it looks as though they took their shorty header and added and extension piece to make them into LT headers. Maybe that's part of the reason they don't have as much HP as the others?
Nope, not accurate. I have the shorties and they look nothing like the configuration above. The tubes are snaked completely differently.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPANKT U View Post
Nope, not accurate. I have the shorties and they look nothing like the configuration above. The tubes are snaked completely differently.
Correct. Take a closer look and you'll see how Thorley has what's called a "Tri-Y" configuration. They actually collect the four tubes into two separate Y's and again into one final "Y".....so that each side has the "Tri-Y"

Great for low end torque as well! Sick upgrade!

-Ivan
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #25
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Just curious about this....if the shorties will get you 18hp and the LT will get you 19hp....why spend the extra money on the LTs? What would be the advantage of the LT over the shorty if they are so close in HP?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just curious about this....if the shorties will get you 18hp and the LT will get you 19hp....why spend the extra money on the LTs? What would be the advantage of the LT over the shorty if they are so close in HP?
So the strange thing about this is that the shorties supposedly make 2ft. more TQ than the LT's as well. So comparison based on the dyno graphs from the Doug Thorley site:

LT - HP - +19
Shorties - HP - +18

LT - TQ - +33
Shorties TQ - +35

The issue you run into here is different cars, different conditions. I would like to see a comparison on the same car under the same conditions.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
So the strange thing about this is that the shorties supposedly make 2ft. more TQ than the LT's as well. So comparison based on the dyno graphs from the Doug Thorley site:

LT - HP - +19
Shorties - HP - +18

LT - TQ - +33
Shorties TQ - +35

The issue you run into here is different cars, different conditions. I would like to see a comparison on the same car under the same conditions.
So you would assume that the shories would have been tested with the factory cats in place where as the LTs don't have cats at all. If that is the case then the shorties look like the better deal.....especially since you can get them for around the $500 price range.

Not sure that I'm sold yet....I'm still leaning towards the Kooks LTs right now.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
So you would assume that the shories would have been tested with the factory cats in place where as the LTs don't have cats at all. If that is the case then the shorties look like the better deal.....especially since you can get them for around the $500 price range.

Not sure that I'm sold yet....I'm still leaning towards the Kooks LTs right now.

The only reason anyone would get the shorties would to be so that they could pass their local emmision standards. I think everyone agrees there.

I feel that the shorties (no matter what brand) are going to almost always push a little more torque naturally because of their design. I mean, just looking at them you can see that they are going to have different flow charactoristics and dynamics in relation to torque. I'm sure that even if Kooks made shorties, that we'd see the same proportional differences in HP/Trq as the Doug Thorleys.

I can and will be proud to say this....looking at Kooks for a low of around $1200 (and up) as opposed to what the Doug Thorleys do at even $750 RETAIL..... That's just not smart money. Both have ceramic coatings, lifetime warranty, and ease of installation. Granted the Kooks are 3" opposed to the DT's at 2.5" but is it worth all that much more money to be able to say you got Kooks?? I played that game on the '95 Z way back when. Everyone seems to like em because everybody has em. Just my opinion of course.

When it comes to dyno numbers I agree too. There needs to be some before and after true numbers. I plan on getting some after numbers once the Catback is installed and then I will be able to say what I ended up with.

I'm sure that some peoples numbers will be different because of many variables such as weather, dynometer, tune, etc... But at least we can have a good idea of what to expect.

In the meantime, I'll be pimpin' the good stuff when I see it.
-Ivan