Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
Thanks for explaining. I was wondering if that's where you were going with that

I should have worded it differently. I knew it was an LS series (actually have one lying around), but I was wondering why that over an LS1 or LS2
Compression ratio is lower...cylinder walls are thicker....so in stock form they can take more boost than a LS1 or 2 or 3 or 7......some even prefer the 4.8s. They are very cheap and they run forever......I've seen some older trucks with 300K miles.....just a great old 327.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEd13 View Post
I wish it was 76 and below that way I wouldn't have to worry about smogging it.
Smog requirements are minimal on your car, you should check with a smog guy and see if the LS motor is allowable under some rule......I think GM has recently released a CARB certified LS3 package. I don't know what the smog boys would say about a 5.3.........they always say it has to be in the "engine family" that was OE for the year of the car. But I have to think a fuel injected 5.3 produces less emmissions than a carbed 350.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Smog requirements are minimal on your car, you should check with a smog guy and see if the LS motor is allowable under some rule......I think GM has recently released a CARB certified LS3 package. I don't know what the smog boys would say about a 5.3.........they always say it has to be in the "engine family" that was OE for the year of the car. But I have to think a fuel injected 5.3 produces less emmissions than a carbed 350.
Yes, GM has released a package, but you have to do it EXACTLY as they want. From the length of the air intake tube, to the exhaust manifolds, to the almost exact location of the cats

They made it so there is ZERO gray area on their kit, so wether another combination produces less emmisions or not, it just doesn't matter. In one regard it kind of sucks that they are being overly strict, but at the same time, it's nice to see that the government is finally helping you guys with options, out in California. They have now opened the door for more stuff in the future