Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Is the OLD GM thinking coming back?

I have been reading so many articles lately where the Camaro is killing the Stang in sales which is GREAT of course!!

One thing that bothers me is, The OLD GM, despite being the sales leader would add a color or add stickers to a car to "keep it going".

Then I say to myself, where is the HP increase for 2012 SS?
No increase? Oh, they added the stickers to the 45th anny model.

I guess what I'm trying to say is............
GM dont rest because you have the sales lead. Make the product better. The Stang came out with the 5.0 you should have already answered for that and you didn't. Don't let the car go stale.

If you WAIT for sales to slip........... It's too late...
=Bobby
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You know they brought out the convertible this year, the ZL1 is coming out along with an upgraded interior for 2012. I think they're doing a good job in this department. The SS doesn't need a HP upgrade. I don't believe that HP is what's driving most of the sales here.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You know they brought out the convertible this year, the ZL1 is coming out along with an upgraded interior for 2012. I think they're doing a good job in this department. The SS doesn't need a HP upgrade. I don't believe that HP is what's driving most of the sales here.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Agreed. HP isn't everything. I'd take a Camaro over a Corvette any day. Well, I would take a ZR1...but only to sell it and get two Camaros. The styling on these cars is what wins me over, and the power is just icing on the cake.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
At the lower management level, the old GM is there in spades. I have stated many times that it's time for a "cabinet shuffle".
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
HIOFECR

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Agreed. HP isn't everything. I'd take a Camaro over a Corvette any day. Well, I would take a ZR1...but only to sell it and get two Camaros. The styling on these cars is what wins me over, and the power is just icing on the cake.

SQUEEZE THROTTLE. FEEL GROUND RUMBLE
HIOFECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post

factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
The "old" GM never left, they simply shafted the legitimate debt holders and shareholders, and pronounced do-over.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
If they follow Ford, they'd need to just change headlights and tail lights and call it a new model.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
The "old" GM never left, they simply shafted the legitimate debt holders and shareholders, and pronounced do-over.
You got that right... not to mention thwarting the rule of law.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
The Camaro SS is rated at 426 HP, the Mustang GT is rated at 412 HP. so on paper, the Camaro wins. However, I know it's heavier. But still the Camaro isn't "behind" It is a brand new model. I will give them some slack. They're still rolling out new models, and working out new model bugs that Ford hasn't had to deal with since '05. I DO wish that they hadn't canned ABM, they already had it, but they canned it. But that's ok, I have grown to love SW.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
At the lower management level, the old GM is there in spades. I have stated many times that it's time for a "cabinet shuffle".
+1
As with any large organization, you never get real changes. Most of the time it's just reshuffle. I was at the Tech Center in '88 and '89, there were numerous "changes", i.e. people's name tags, positions, organization, offices were changed...but the people were the same and they do the same crap...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
they have sold a lot more LS/LT's then SS's so that is where they are going to put their effort right now. the V6 is getting an engine update, not more power, more efficient cause it will sell more cars.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
I have to agree with OP a bit on this. The 2008 corvette that used the LS3 has 430 hp and 424 tq as compared to the camaro LS3 with 426 hp and 420 tq. Also, the corvette is rated with 16/26 MPG whereas the camaro is rated at 16/24. Clearly there is some room for power and efficiency improvement. Making these slight changes in power and efficiency along with a body styling change and/or weight improvement would have been a nice small update from the original model released in 2010.

However, you can't get everything you want so I guess some new graphics for the 45th anniversary edition and interior updates are what we are stuck with lol.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote