Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
Babies first engine mods

So, until I got my 2011 2LT RS Camaro I was hardly a car enthusiast, and certainly not any sort of mechanic. Then my babies beauty(and the extent to which you can personalize the internal and external beauty of it) overcame me and my addictive personality took over. Up until now I've mainly focused on aesthetic, show-offy mods, but I'd really like to get a little more bite to go with the bark. I've read extensively through the forums, but as somewhat of a nooby it's all a little overwhelming. SO, my question to everyone is, where to start? Is there one certain best place to start or is it all personal preference? Also, what are some good general starting mods? In order of importance I'd like to improve horsepower:torque:sound:and mpg wouldn't hurt. Mods can be on either end of the price range but should, of course, be a good amount of bang for the buck, and ease of install is always a plus, as I am far from even an average mechanic.

Thanks, all advice is welcome!
RedlightS

P.S. If anyone knows any good mechanics or other users in the southern Louisiana area feel free to PM me, would love to meet some other enthusiasts.
RedlightS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
CoolWhip14

Drives: Summit White with black rims
Cold air intake by roto fab, a ported throttle body from rx aka Tracy then a rx catch can by the same guy, long tube or short tube headers and exhaust then it's whatever from there

"Victory loves Preperation"
CoolWhip14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
CAI (personal preference: Injen, not the short one), exhaust...those two will wake up your vehicle as well as change the sound. RX catch can, RX ported throttle body, MACE 25mm intake insulator...fairly easy mod to do yourself. Shorttie headers. If you go long tubes, I suggest getting high flow cats at the same time unless you go cat less. With long tubes, you will need a tune by trifecta to eliminate the CEL. I recommend it anyhow as the tune alone will add HP, firm up your shifts and then tie everything together. The tune alone makes it funner to drive...all in that order or all at once oh...and something to monitor you engine...like Bluetooth elm device with an iPhone or android app or the aero force gauges...very VERY IMPORTANT!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

And if your manual...you have a nice selection of GEARS!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
RedlightS
Powering It Up

Thanks guys, I hear a lot about the CAIs being a good way to go, I'll have to look into the differences. As far as exhaust, in general what's the main differences in cat back vs axle back, and long tub headers vs shorty?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Axle back requires you to cut the existing pipe from the cat while cat back replaces it. Note that headers will, in most cases, void your power chain warranty. As to long versus short, I will leave that to someone more knowledgable.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

cat back = changing out everything from behind the catalytic converters including the stock H pipe which is generally converted to an X pipe or resonated X pipe.

axle back = replaces what is behind your rear axle. gets rid of the big ol ugly suitcase mufflers.

LT's = long tube headers which generate roughly 20-25 HP. with our vehicles they also throw a CEL (check engine light) due to the rear O2 sensor which requires a tune to turn it off. currently trifecta is the only tune that provides this option. with LT's, you'll lose your cats and resonator...at least with BBK's since they come with high flow cats. not sure of the other aftermarket suppliers setup.

Shorties = 12-15 HP and generally don't require a tune since most don't cause a CEL. i believe there was one manufacturer that was throwing a CEL with the shorties but i don't recall which one...Dough Thorleys? if i remember correctly. hopefully somebody else can chime in and correct me.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
armyxrays

Drives: 2011 2LS All Black Camaro
Hey Redlights, I'm going through the same as you. I was never a car enthusiast either until I got my Camaro. Even then I didn't think I would ever mod it or even knew what that meant. I didn't know it when I bought it, but my car came with some mods from the dealer - a heritage grille, rear spoiler, tint, and powdercoated stock rims on P-zeros (which don't come normally with a 2LS). I also had the dealer install steering wheel controls and the PDIM module for USB music playback.

Fate led me to Camaro5 and I met some really cool people in my area that had a Camaro club (shout out to cVc!!). Once I met them in person and heard their cars I wanted to see what I could do.

I started with a CAI and purchased a Roto-Fab through JDP motorsports. After watching YouTube videos and reading the instructions a few times (remember I've never worked on cars before), I installed it myself in under an hour. The difference was very noticeable and I even got a bit of a growl out of my V6 engine. I love it! The difference in throttling/accelerating is great!

Next up, I wanted my Camaro to sound a bit angrier. So I began researching exhaust. I knew I couldn't do the cat-back installation myself so I went with axle-back. I was intimidated to cut anything off my car, but went for it. I ordered the MRT 2.0 system through Auto-Agenda, and again installed it myself in about an hour and a half. It's pretty straightforward to install it.

Once you go for it and accomplish it yourself you'll get that proud feeling I have. I love knowing I did it myself. And that first cold start up with my CAI and exhaust together... oh man did I have the biggest cheesiest smile. Sheer joy my friend!!
Mods: Blacked out bowties, Roto-Fab CAI, Powder-Coated Rims on P-Zeros, MRT 2.0 Exhaust, Heritage Grille, Rear Spoiler, USB Port with Bluetooth package, Lowered 1inch all around, Window Tint, Matte Black hood spears, rocker panels, gill inserts
armyxrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
armyxrays

Drives: 2011 2LS All Black Camaro
Mods: Blacked out bowties, Roto-Fab CAI, Powder-Coated Rims on P-Zeros, MRT 2.0 Exhaust, Heritage Grille, Rear Spoiler, USB Port with Bluetooth package, Lowered 1inch all around, Window Tint, Matte Black hood spears, rocker panels, gill inserts
armyxrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
RedlightS
Powering It Up

so the long tubes are better for horsepower overall, but the shorties are less hassle? or is there another advantage to the shorties? and what does the conversion from H pipe to X pipe actually do? just different sound and more efficient or...?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Lots of good advice here, but to keep things simple, I'd recommend an cold air intake and exhaust be your first mods. Exhaust for sound (as it won't help much for performance) and the CAI to wake your car up a bit performance wise.

Check out the exhaust sticky thread at the top of the V6 section for tons of examples.

From there, you can do whatever. Easiest 3rd mod is probably the RX ported throttle body..doesn't add much for power, but helps low end response and torque.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlightS View Post
so the long tubes are better for horsepower overall, but the shorties are less hassle? or is there another advantage to the shorties? and what does the conversion from H pipe to X pipe actually do? just different sound and more efficient or...?

Long tubes:
- double the peak power of shorty headers.
- bolts right up (no welding like shorty headers) but still not really an easy install
- will likely need a tune (else your check engine light will come on because your rear 02 sensors will detect more flow and emissions)
- more expensive up front...but install could be cheaper, or even free (if done yourself) versus the shortys
- will make your exhaust note MUCH more aggressive so you need to be careful which exhaust you pair it up with. (usually a resonated X pipe to replace your stock H pipe helps a lot with this)

Shorty headers
-no tune needed
- cheaper up front
- less peak power but still nice gains in the low and mid rpms
- welding required.

Oh...and do not replace your stock H pipe with a traditional X pipe...usually not good for sound.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
RedlightS
Powering It Up

thanks everyone for the advice, car sounds great armyxrays.
I'll keep in mind about the resonated X pipe, long tubes are looking better at the moment. back to the RX ported throttle body...I know I should probably just google it, but what does it actually do?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

ps...im no mechanic but I've done all my mods in my drive way