Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
blackoutVIII

Drives: 2011 2SS w/RS PKG
Header Install

So I have searched and found the header install, but is there one with pictures out there?

I have some nice SW LTH w/hiflow cats ready to go.

VMAXX TB
SLP Short Ram Blackwig CAI
Stainless Works Headers w/Hi-Flow Cats
blackoutVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Following

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
ss_redrum

Hey man, i ended up installing them myself. I know its been a few months but do you still need a write up? I have a lot of it on video as well.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_redrum View Post
Hey man, i ended up installing them myself. I know its been a few months but do you still need a write up? I have a lot of it on video as well.
I personally would love any pictures or videos or tips as I'm going to be installing some soon myself.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Only real tip is remove spark plugs. You can crack them by tapping them without knowing it and it will cause driveability issues later than will drive you nuts troubleshooting. Ceramic is very very fragile. Reuse stock gaskets unless higher mileage then buy new STOCK ones, aftermarket is garbage relative to them.

Personally I love my ARP exhaust studs that make it incredibly easy to drop or install headers alone, without them a second set of hands is helpful for that step. Also note where the oil dipstick is located cause it's a pain in the ass locating afterwards if you haven't double-checked it. Otherwise this is just an unbolt old and bolt on new.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
imaSSnake
'Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Only real tip is remove spark plugs. You can crack them by tapping them without knowing it and it will cause driveability issues later than will drive you nuts troubleshooting. Ceramic is very very fragile. Reuse stock gaskets unless higher mileage then buy new STOCK ones, aftermarket is garbage relative to them.

Personally I love my ARP exhaust studs that make it incredibly easy to drop or install headers alone, without them a second set of hands is helpful for that step. Also note where the oil dipstick is located cause it's a pain in the ass locating afterwards if you haven't double-checked it. Otherwise this is just an unbolt old and bolt on new.
Okay I've done headers on another vehicle before and sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble, thanks for the tips
Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
ss_redrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaSSnake View Post
I personally would love any pictures or videos or tips as I'm going to be installing some soon myself.
Sure thing! I have a write up that I will post tonight. The video will be a few more days and will probably just be a voice over how to since I'm trying to start a youtube channel
Old 12-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
following
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
imaSSnake
'Maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_redrum View Post
Sure thing! I have a write up that I will post tonight. The video will be a few more days and will probably just be a voice over how to since I'm trying to start a youtube channel
Awesome
Old 12-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It can be a bit intimidating but it's not very difficult. Just a time consuming but if take your time and do it right it's pretty straight forward. Make sure you can get the vehicle in the air high enough safely.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I had coated headers and installed them by myself in the driveway. Cut a slice in the bubble wrap and put them under the car and lifted them in before removing to keep that coating perfect
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Drives: '15 Camaro Blue Velvet Metallic 1le
It wasn't a bad job at all, do yourself a favor and remove engine cover, wires, spark plugs and I lifted the front of the car about 12"s off the ground. I was able to to remove both sides in about 2 hrs straight through. However my car only has 16k on it, I reused that factory gaskets and bolts, torqued to factory specs and double checked about 125-150 miles.

I also dropped the tunnel brace to allow for additional room for the rear off exhaust to hang down. Don't forget to unhook the O2 sensor plugs (first thing I did)

When installing new headers the extra hands from a wife, girlfriend, or another gear head is very helpful. I also had to undo my steering shaft at the joint to allow for extra room in slip the header in from the bottom.

Another thing I did was wrapped my headers with titanium DEI wrap.

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
1991 Camaro LsX-not stock
Gregss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
ss_redrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaSSnake View Post
Awesome
here are the steps!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516684
Old 12-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Would you be a peach and throw out some insight on the DEI titanium wraps. Thought about doing this but would like to hear why you elected to go this route. Good idea to wrap your headers? Also if you don't mind, could you share how much you bought to do the 2 headers? I know they have a guide but Id prefer to not do the math lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregss1le View Post
It wasn't a bad job at all, do yourself a favor and remove engine cover, wires, spark plugs and I lifted the front of the car about 12"s off the ground. I was able to to remove both sides in about 2 hrs straight through. However my car only has 16k on it, I reused that factory gaskets and bolts, torqued to factory specs and double checked about 125-150 miles.

I also dropped the tunnel brace to allow for additional room for the rear off exhaust to hang down. Don't forget to unhook the O2 sensor plugs (first thing I did)

When installing new headers the extra hands from a wife, girlfriend, or another gear head is very helpful. I also had to undo my steering shaft at the joint to allow for extra room in slip the header in from the bottom.

Another thing I did was wrapped my headers with titanium DEI wrap.
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote